British Speedway Forum

14 hours ago, DJWolves said:

My understanding is that only 12 promoters turned up so guests were brought in from the Polish League.

But most of them were late getting up so were excluded under the 2 minute rule.

Rider Replacement was then applied which resulted in Matt Ford getting additional votes

A number of promoters were excluded for having a different opinion to Matt Ford

Post of the day :cheers:

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I also support Wolverhampton Wanderers football club. They were taken over by new owners in the early 80s who saw the club were losing money so reduced costs and bought in lower cost players. Then attendances fell further so they reduced costs further. And they carried on doing the same for the next three years by which time Wolves were in Division 4. Since then the club have had more forward thinking owners who have invested and taken the club forward. Its taken time but the benefits are there for all to see. And the new owners are making far more money than the owners that thought cutting costs was the answer

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DJWolves said:

I also support Wolverhampton Wanderers football club. They were taken over by new owners in the early 80s who saw the club were losing money so reduced costs and bought in lower cost players. Then attendances fell further so they reduced costs further. And they carried on doing the same for the next three years by which time Wolves were in Division 4. Since then the club have had more forward thinking owners who have invested and taken the club forward. Its taken time but the benefits are there for all to see. And the new owners are making far more money than the owners that thought cutting costs was the answer

Your talking about a sport where last place in the Premiership gets a income of over £100million and a sport that can gain sponsorships in seven figures to be connected to clubs. 

Speedway cant ant invest the figures required here anymore and the foundations are smashed to pieces so unless they rebuild from a fresh again it can't be rebuilt until they go back to basics and cost effective.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I find calling them lesbians often gets get a response 

This always makes me laugh 

• Like 2

The figures in speedway are much smaller, but the principles are the same. The downward spiral in quality, and in attendances, is not going to change by further reducing the quality. That just makes things worse. In football, speedway and just about every sport and industry on the planet, you have to invest to progress. Wolves were smashed to pieces and came within minutes of closing completely. They didn't then become a Premier League team overnight by spending millions they didn't have, its been a long, steady and painful ride. But the alternative was to just pack up and go home, which some on here seem to think speedway should do

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trees said:

most of the fans on here think they have all the answers but need to put their money where their mouths are, plenty of clubs to take over now, do it and sort the sport out!! 

We do! £18 every match, sadly if I did have the money to buy a club I wouldn't be able to change anything anyway, the only way to do that would be to buy the majority of clubs

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, iainb said:

We do! £18 every match, sadly if I did have the money to buy a club I wouldn't be able to change anything anyway, the only way to do that would be to buy the majority of clubs

the only way to change it if speedway was run by an outside body so promotors wont have self interest cant see that happening I'm afraid :shock:

10 minutes ago, ray c said:

the only way to change it if speedway was run by an outside body so promotors wont have self interest cant see that happening I'm afraid :shock:

It doesn't have to be run by an independent body but one is required to run alongside them to give ideas and feedback before rules and regulations are put forward. 

59 minutes ago, iainb said:

Trouble is that even if you did buy the clubs you would not have a vote for three years and by that time your investment would be worth very little!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, g13webb said:

Yes it may be their money, but look where that has got them.  I am in no doubt the dire situation the sport is in is totally down to the rules and decisions made by the BSPA.  Decisions governed   by personal agendas.    They have this one last chance to make a new start  and rise from the ashes,  but quite honestly I don't have any confidence in them doing much to change it...  

You and me both

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJWolves said:

The figures in speedway are much smaller, but the principles are the same. The downward spiral in quality, and in attendances, is not going to change by further reducing the quality. That just makes things worse. In football, speedway and just about every sport and industry on the planet, you have to invest to progress. Wolves were smashed to pieces and came within minutes of closing completely. They didn't then become a Premier League team overnight by spending millions they didn't have, its been a long, steady and painful ride. But the alternative was to just pack up and go home, which some on here seem to think speedway should do

The investing made by Glasgow doesnt appear to have paid off

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dodger Blue said:

The investing made by Glasgow doesnt appear to have paid off

Maybe so on the Speedway front,but the land they have bought in both Stadium and surrounding area will see them Ok in the future if they bail out of the sport.

A few years ago we had a couple of promoters willing to invest to make the product better, it led to a winter of discontent. Look where it's ended.. Frosty out of the sport altogether, thank the gods for Ged Rathbone, and no Coventry at all.. Tragic or what.

So, I'm going to say my 2 pennies worth....we need to build rivalries.. something for the press to build up, something for the promoters make a fuss about. It's no secret that the best crowds for Peterborough in recent years have been when we have had Ipswich for home and away matches on a bank holiday. Image if we then had Stars and Lions home and away derbys, surely the travelling fans would make a big difference.

I'm not advocating a north south split either, we'd just end up seeing the same teams, riders every other week, I just loved watching Adam Ellis beating all our riders for 3 weeks running! When I was young I supported Rayleigh and remember the coaches being organised for the annual northern tour. It might take some organising but surely a tour taking in Glasgow Edinburgh and Berwick with maybe Workington and Newcastle thrown in would be an attractive proposition for a modern version. Imagine the fans and riders staying in the same Hotels. The fun we had at our end of season party..... If it attracted an extra 100 fans on a holiday style weekend.... the Northern Clubs getting together to offer a special tour price to get in. What would those 100 extra away fans mean to somewhere like Workington or Edinburgh or Redcar, not just financially but the atmosphere as well.

Surely the biggest bug bear is the doubling up thing, riders cannot make a living on one league as it is. But if they rode in say 32 meetings wouldn't that make a big difference. There would be some riders who wouldn't want to do that many meetings in the uk but I'm pretty sure there would be others who'd come back. A few years back I remember seeing Kevin Wolbert at the showground, didn't the Monarchs call him the Kaiser, if his performance that night was anything to go by it was with much justification....

Ahh well, lets just hope they come up with something that enables us to turn the corner...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DJWolves said:

Your ideas haven't worked for Glasgow Tigers by the sound of it

It’s funny how some supporters shout that the promoters should spend more money on gp stars, 2 minute clocks, electric scoreboards etc, etc, but moan at the price of entry/ programs. 

Youll never please everyone no one no matter what. 

• Like 8