British Speedway Forum

4 hours ago, JC! said:

Looking at a vast majority of the issues that are regularly raised (averages, guests, rules, team strengths etc), I feel that Speedway is no longer sustainable as a team sport in the UK. The 'team' aspect causes too many problems.

If you take out the team aspects, you take away a lot of the issues.  Each track could hire, say, 3 local favourites (keeps loyalty) to be involved in individual events, with say 9 other invited riders. This would open up the options for a variety of different concepts to keep things interesting to a new public. Off the top of my head, 1 or 2 lap races, pursuits, time trials, side cars, 125cc, 250's, veterans.

Clubs could invite top stars outside of GP calendar, with no need for the riders to be tied to inconvenient schedules, and have a major event (Golden Hammer type thing). Maybe they could tour 2 or 3 tracks while over, reducing cost?

This would mean that each club could run when it was best for their business, with no need to have a specified number of events each year within the league calendar. 

While you will lose some of the 'old guard' I feel that this would be more likely to make things easier for new supporters to get involved - no meetings over by heat 8 with a team running away as all categories would be building through to its own final.

Probably a bit too radical though for our current promoters to even consider

What attracted me to and kept me interested in speedway was following my team.  I have very little interest, if any, in individual meetings.  The erosion of the team aspect in the UK has withered my interest. 

As I've said many times before, some existing fans may want to tinker around with the product but I think it far more important that thought is given to improving the night out - then it becomes less important how many overtakes there were.  If people go away having had a good time then they will return.  I liked KTs idea of using interactive aspects - playing to peoples' obsession (particularly the younger ones) with mobile phones/technology.  Standing out in the cold/wet is unpleasant, standing around watching a tractor or listening to 70s music is also not engaging.  There could be other things on the terraces to do e.g. video games, bike simulators, bouncy castles/bungees, party events hosting, free wifi, a big screen - none of these are messing about with the racing but just trying to modernise the experience.  If you then added characters for your team, with nicknames etc. as they do in other sports this could also add some atmosphere - this does need promoters to stop 'pass the rider' games and loyalty can be achieved if handled consistently.

We'll always have the memories I suppose.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Back to the 1920/30's then?

Just the 1920s really. By 1929 (after just one year) people were getting fed up with what was more or less a meaningless succession of races that meant very little or nothing. Spectators were crying out for team speedway so they could get behind their riders and support them. I can't help thinking that would be the same feeling today.

• Like 5

Speedway is best as a team Sport, no doubt about it. The League and International Test Matches is what it makes it so unique and very special as a motorsport.  

Nowadays we have a full season of league meetings for the club teams, but what I miss most of all is some meaningfull International teams competition, like there was in the 1970s. When I watch the Rugby Union Autumn Test matches just this month, I realise what Speedway is missing out on big time.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Uluru said:

Here's a thought, how come at least half, probably more, of the British Elite ice hockey teams are staffed by foreign, mostly Canadian or American, journeyman players?

How do they get the visas that are denied to kids like Jaimon Lidsey? 

Having second rate foreigners taking places of equally or more talented Brits is a big issue. How can some foreign riders have 2 teams and many Brits are sat on the sidelines?

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

What attracted me to and kept me interested in speedway was following my team.  I have very little interest, if any, in individual meetings.  The erosion of the team aspect in the UK has withered my interest. 

As I've said many times before, some existing fans may want to tinker around with the product but I think it far more important that thought is given to improving the night out - then it becomes less important how many overtakes there were.  If people go away having had a good time then they will return.  I liked KTs idea of using interactive aspects - playing to peoples' obsession (particularly the younger ones) with mobile phones/technology.  Standing out in the cold/wet is unpleasant, standing around watching a tractor or listening to 70s music is also not engaging.  There could be other things on the terraces to do e.g. video games, bike simulators, bouncy castles/bungees, party events hosting, free wifi, a big screen - none of these are messing about with the racing but just trying to modernise the experience.  If you then added characters for your team, with nicknames etc. as they do in other sports this could also add some atmosphere - this does need promoters to stop 'pass the rider' games and loyalty can be achieved if handled consistently.

We'll always have the memories I suppose.

I like this. I love 7 v 7 speedway, I love the team thing and the 3 leagues. This format is secondary to the night out itself. If everything about that night frustrates you then it’s all lost on the new people. If the night is fun then people can overlook some of the other stuff that irks us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Thanks for your well thought out reply, I understand where you are coming from. Clearly I don't agree, but it's all about opinions.

5 minutes ago, BLACKHEART said:

BREAKING NEWS!

The BSPA are delighted to confirm that all parties have reached an agreement on which packet of biscuits will be in operation at this year's AGM. Originally there was a 50/50 split on the decision some promoters voted in favour of Digestive's whilst other promoters voted in favour of Custard Creams after much discussion the BSPA can confirm that a Mcvities selection box containing 10 different types of biscuit will be in operation at this years AGM in the best interests of all promoters.

Stay tuned for further updates. We will bring you more news as soon as we get it.

Grow up.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Tsunami said:

Grow up.

Like it or not this is what many if not most think of the BSPA

• Like 1

Just now, wealdstone said:

Like it or not this is what many if not most think of the BSPA

Which is why they don't take notice of what's on here, anything worth considering get's lost in all the pizz taking

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Grow up.

We get that tripe EVERY single year. It wasn’t funny when the first biscuits “gag” surfaced years ago, now it’s just downright cringeworthy. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Grow up.

It's been the same joke ever since time began. No it's not a piss up, no it's not a load of clowns and no the biscuits thing isn't funny. 

1 hour ago, JCookie said:

It's been the same joke ever since time began. No it's not a piss up, no it's not a load of clowns and no the biscuits thing isn't funny. 

It may be a joke , a repetitive  joke and possibly no longer funny. But BSPA  that is what many think of you . Do something about it!!!

Really hope we get some positive news on the sport we all love tomorrow. Fingers crossed 2019 will see the current decline of speedway within the UK stop and the start of some form of recovery beginning.

• Like 3

Speedway 28 ...there has been no evidence of any sign of constructive behaviour from any of the promoters in British Speedway throughout the 2018 season, so I don’t see any hope that an away day in Uttoxeter over a few drinks will bring about any changes.

Much like our politicians .... I have no respect for any of them.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, ch958 said:

the comparisons with football are completely bogus. For one thing, a home team mullering the away team every week is fine in football but v boring in speedway.

People keep going on about the product being lower standard but the product is racing not names. As long as the racing is competitive then the product is fine.

In the good times of the 60s and 70s for every Briggs, Mauger, etc there were 2 or 3 journeyman riders making up the numbers. How do you think they achieved regular 11 plus averages?

If Briggs, Mauger, Moore, Fundin, etc met each other once a week their averages would struggle past 9. Mathematical fact

Of cause  the format has made it harder to attain those high averages, but it would be wrong to ridicule those top riders you mentioned, as I'm quietly confident they would have achieved those high figures regardless of what format was used.    Yes there were journeyman  back then  but they were usually reserves,  bit like they are today.   But back then the teams were far stronger with 3 proper heat leaders.   and teams more evenly matched.      The biggest difference back then was that each rider was seen as a team member and belonged to that team.  Now  riders race for various teams and have no allegiance to anybody....  consequently the fans don't have that connection with the rider anymore... 

I remember, often staying late at night drinking with the riders after the meetings, the place was packed with fans wanting this contact with the riders.   WE never won much but the place was usually heaving....   Couldn't wait for the next meeting...

• Like 6