British Speedway Forum

Having only briefly read the changes coming out of the AGM. Initial positives for me are Monday and Thursday FRN's in the prem. Great news that Peterborough and Ipswich are back in the top flight but gutted only 7 teams in the prem. 

13 minutes ago, JCookie said:

Pretty decent on the whole I think  - the social media chosen race is a bit of a gimmick but so what, it's interaction which is at least some step towards getting people engaged. Definite move towards having a strong EL and a weaker PL which is pretty much what everyone has said on here for the last few days, get the top riders out of the league and make the PL an amateur league again, where you need a job to survive.

All EL tracks are pretty good and Leicester are out of it so the racing should be decent if there are some good riders. The NL supporters club group is another step in the right direction, as is the Ltd company approach, they've opened themselves up which, again, is what people have wanted for years. BT onboard again, happy days.

I was actually quite positive reading about it and it sounded good but people on here just seem to pan every AGM regardless of the outcome. About as enjoyable to read as the usual biscuit jokes.

Oh come on, in a time of absolute crisis for the sport the message from the AGM is "Everything's rosy" and the sport will largely carry on as it is...over the edge of a cliff. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Rico said:

You wait until a Russian troll farm fixes it so that Simon Lambert rather than Robert Lambert is nominated ;)

:D 

Don't worry I've seen the type of thing where Pitbull gets sent to a WalMart in Alaska and so on, but if we get to the point that the Premiership Supporters Cup goes viral then it probably means we have more than 10,000 fans.

1 minute ago, SFTGNigel said:

Oh come on, in a time of absolute crisis for the sport the message from the AGM is "Everything's rosy" and the sport will largely carry on as it is...over the edge of a cliff. 

Saying everything is rosy would've seen 0 changes and a 2 sentence statement. They've changed a lot - why not give it a chance and stop complaining?

• Like 3

As it stands, the top two tiers of British Speedway will run next year with no club competing within 60 miles of London. 

What a shambles. 

Edited by SFTGNigel

3 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

That's how I read it --- having clear water between the Premiership and the Championship. It was getting silly. It was getting to the stage where you could put seven riders down on paper and not be 100 per cent sure if it was a Premiership or Championship outfit last year.

Might impact the NL with such a low Championship level?

Presume done to encourage the two teams up?

I would imagine Championship clubs will be looking to the NL for riders rather than go towards the Premiership with a 1.5 conversion rate..?

And could it possibly move the NL more towards its 'true vocation' as a training league..?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JCookie said:

Saying everything is rosy would've seen 0 changes and a 2 sentence statement. They've changed a lot - why not give it a chance and stop complaining?

Come on, Pollyanna - they're rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. 

Anyway, I can't give the SGB divisions  a chance - I live in a city of 8 million people with no speedway team nearby!

Edited by SFTGNigel
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ruckerroo said:

lakeside/rye house not in either of top 2 leagues ?

"on ice" until new track can be found'

Edited by StevePark
for link to twitter

1 minute ago, StevePark said:

"on ice" until new track can be found'

Rye House have a track, just not a current club/team/promoter! 

Edited by SFTGNigel

So saying as the Championship is being watered down to improve the standard of the premiership will that mean admission prices will reduce to accommodate this?

As ever, the devil will be in the detain, I mean look at last years, it didn't take long for things to start unravelling.