British Speedway Forum

so with having someone owning more tracks knowing full well he doesn't pay over the odds isn't a start?”

You think Chapman taking over Ipswich in any way addresses the fundamental problems in the sport right now?! 

I’ll have whatever drugs you’re taking. 

Edited by SFTGNigel

2 hours ago, bloom89 said:

So saying as the Championship is being watered down to improve the standard of the premiership will that mean admission prices will reduce to accommodate this?

You'll be lucky !!

'to support the progression of riders who have progressed through the National Development League, all riders will receive a 2.5% reduction in their average'

Does this mean every rider that has been in the third division will receive a 2.5% average reduction?

I'm really happy that the Championship looks quite strong with potentially 12 teams. Disappointed in losing Peterborough in particular as its always a good venue for watching the sport. This is somewhat tempered by Somerset returning but its a 100 miles further to travel from Worky. Somewhat surprised at Leicester dropping back down though. 

Maybe Birmingham returning and what chance the Isle of Wight ?

I'll be much happier when someone from Worky confirms  that we will be coming to tapes in 2019.

Pleased to still see 7 man teams because with a shortage of riders it wouldn have made no sense to reduce further.

Worryingly there appears little in the way of intiatives to improve marketing, sponsorship, entertainment, value for money, cost reduction, better fixture planning. Would liked to have seen a deadline completion date for at least the Championship Shield.

Think 7 teams in the Premiership looks light so once again the Championship looks like being the most competitive.

Edited by SteelShoe
  • Like 1

Whether he is Chairman or not Chapman is now firmly in charge of British Speedway, no longer "gang of two" but a dictatorship.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Whether he is Chairman or not Chapman is now firmly in charge of British Speedway, no longer "gang of two" but a dictatorship.  

Absolutely correct but (and some Stars fans may fall off their chair) I think this may be a good move. 

If Buster was to buy up every Premiership and Championship club that would totally remove the self interest aspect of Speedway. This is one of the main catalyst for poor management and the decline of the sport.

So while it is dictatorship, it may just be what's needed to drag the sport forward. So, as 1 of his biggest critics, I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and see how this works out. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, eric i said:

'to support the progression of riders who have progressed through the National Development League, all riders will receive a 2.5% reduction in their average'

Does this mean every rider that has been in the third division will receive a 2.5% average reduction?

Yes!!

Not too impressed with the rest of it though.

Does nothing to address the lack of fixtures!!  Fans and some promoters saying beforehand they wanted more meaningful fixtures. Well in the Championship they have ONE! Wow. Much better to split the league into two "conferences" (based on geography). You play everyone in your own "conference" twice (10 fixtures) home and away, and everyone in the other conference once ( six fixtures) = 16 league fixtures + three fixtures in the Shield results in a minimum of 19 plus KOC. Top two from each conference into the playoffs. 

38 point limit. Why? All that does is artificially increase a riders average, as a team averaging 38 at the start of the season will average 42 at the end! without, possibly being any better.

Thought Somerset had more ambition but seems not. 

Really needed 8 teams to be honest. Havent been to Ipswich or Peterbourough for several years so will look forward to that, though much further to travel.

2 hours ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Premiership League – Commencing April 2019
• Minimum rider points average of 3 ‘achieved’ and not assessed
so if a rider cannot have an assessed average.... that means no newcomers can be signed as the likes of say Lidsey, Drabik or Becker would come in on an assessed ave, the same goes for Drew Kemp. :blink:

This simply prevents a 2.xx rider being used in the Premiership but taking a 3.00 average. Assessed averages will still apply where appropriate.

Out of interest where does chapman get his money???

7 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Out of interest where does chapman get his money???

He makes a mint out of the Stadium use. He can afford it no problem.

Interesting comments in various areas on the statement today. However, playing devils advocate, I think some realism needs to be seen.

The first issue of note is the doubling up issue. There was never going to be a huge change this season, the fact the BSPA are aiming to slowly lessen the riders allowed is a good sign and possibly the only realistic option moving forward. 

The changing of teams in leagues is interesting. It's clear there was a real lack of desire for sides to be in the Premiership and Buster taking over Peterborough and Ipswich was the only solution. Whilst it may seem to bring the sport into disrepute, the simple facts are that without Buster's investment in the two clubs, the top division would not exist at it stands. Having a top division still must be seen as a positive and a chance to move forward. Seven strong, stable clubs are a good starting point moving forward. 

One thing I would say is the identical statements posted by Ipswich and Peterborough, 'quoting' Chris Louis and Ged Rathbone are embarrassing. At least put a bit of effort into it!

The lack of fixtures is still a huge issue that hasn't been taken care of and is a huge concern I believe.

1 minute ago, racers and royals said:

Maybe from Cheryl :) she is a Littlechild family member.

I can assure you that Cheryl is a fully grown adult ;)