British Speedway Forum

Well... That was a waste of 48 pages!

So out of a 7 team competition Chapman owns 3 of them ?

Never thought it would come this , but after watching speedway for best part of 45 years

I'm done .....Absolute joke of a sport     :angry: 

• Like 2

I actually think that there is some light at the end of a very, very long tunnel...

Issues such as doubling up are starting to be addressed by the points limits. Quite cleverly too as they are not disallowing it but just making it harder to take on say a heat leader from the Premiership, ie a high earner... 

Instead Championship teams will need to look to the NL for more riders I would say which can only help bring them on, and cost less.

If teams want to have Premiership standard riders then they should be in the Premiership, and the lower tiers then should have clear separation of standards. It looks like this has been taken on board...

The 2.5% reduction looks good, however, given its Speedway no doubt there could be ambiguous interpretations of the rule so absolute clarity is needed..

Two fixed race nights have got to be easier to manage than three (especially when one of them was Denmarks night)..

The Test matches look positive, and the fans interaction stuff looks like they are dipping a toe into the waters of technology. About time..

New competitions could work but need to be done and dusted well before the annual cram in at the end of the season for all the silverware distribution. Surely next year they will ensure finals are held throughout the season and not just in the last fortnight?

Now, don't get me wrong, I am still far from convinced the sport will move forward at the pace needed to get it successful, but there does at least appear to have been some sensible, common sense decisions made...

Which after many years of less than fit for purpose ideas, it is a welcome change...

As always though, the proof of the pudding will be in the implementation..

And this is British Speedway don't forget, so you never quite know how that will go....:rolleyes:;)

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

When he bought Leicester, Chapman sold it on to a third party soon after. But this seems to be different. More like it being the only way to make sure that Leicester and Somerset were replaced and the Premiership kept from imploding. I bet he tried very hard to pursuade Damien Bates to move Sheffield up. This is farcical and desperate.

16 minutes ago, Hamish McRaker said:

When he bought Leicester, Chapman sold it on to a third party soon after. But this seems to be different. More like it being the only way to make sure that Leicester and Somerset were replaced and the Premiership kept from imploding. I bet he tried very hard to pursuade Damien Bates to move Sheffield up. This is farcical and desperate.

So maybe in that case, when the BSPA becomes a limited company some time in the next few weeks/months, the ownership of these clubs will be transferred onwards to it. If that happens, Chapman will have once again acted as an interim owner. 

Perhaps the aim is for the BSPA to own the entire league, in due course, and so Poole could indeed by next in line??

• Like 1

I cant believe BT Sport will continue to show a league of only 7 clubs and that over half of those teams will be in the end of season play offs to win the league, might as well just toss a coin now and get it over and done with.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

2 NL teams to go up to the Championship?!  Who is that going to be - Birmingham plus.......?

How about not letting a team who didn't complete their league fixtures in 2018, elevate to the Championship in 2019?

How many teams in polish top division that everyone races about??? 8 teams???

So we're only 1 short so not a complete disaster but they need to amend the play offs to just 3 teams. Top team straight to final. 2nd and 3rd in a play offs. 

6 hours ago, marko said:

I cant believe BT Sport will continue to show a league of only 7 clubs and that over half of those teams will be in the end of season play offs to win the league, might as well just toss a coin now and get it over and done with.

You sure about that? One of the very positive things coming out of it was viewing figures have gone up 41% with an average of almost 100,000 viewers per meeting. For a subscription channel thats not bad at all. BT sport will be very happy with that (especially they are getting it for peanuts) and it might help getting the sport a better deal in future.

3 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

How many teams in polish top division that everyone races about??? 8 teams???

So we're only 1 short so not a complete disaster but they need to amend the play offs to just 3 teams. Top team straight to final. 2nd and 3rd in a play offs. 

I'd agree with that while we only have 7 teams

The top team Phil would miss out on a lucrative semi-final.

As the play-offs are a KO competition, why not go the whole hog and involve all the teams after the normal league fixtures have been run.

Top of league gets a bye, then  2 v 7, 3 v 6, 4 v 5. home and away legs, higher league team gets to pick home or away first leg.

Semi - finals, top team gets to pick who they will race out of the other 3 teams, higher league team gets to pick home or away first.

winning teams into final.

All teams have an interest at the end of the season, you could call it The Champions Cup.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chris116 said:

Yes, I know that but so depressed that I am getting upset about everything. 

Speedway and Stock Car racing have been my life and having retired they are no longer very easy to get to. Speedway due to a lack of tracks near London and Stock Cars due to being infested by Bangers that I hate. 

I really am going to have to consider getting a car but having not driven for fifteen years I am not sure it is a good idea. Totally depressed. 

i feel the same ..

first rode a speedway bike at Hyde Road, Belle Vue, learnt at Milton Keynes training track and Hackney, had one meeting for Arena Essex, then signed for Canterbury, after they closed i did part season at Reading, then finished up at Exeter ... and i grew up going to Wimbledon

Last week we have the national magazine devoting all its pages highlighting the problems with British Speedway,     We had Promoters, Fans, Riders , Celebrities  all opinionizing on the problems with this sport.    Amazingly a week later, at their annual meeting, the BSPA  contradicts everyone ideas and does nothing.  

Just about sums everything up.....  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, woodenspoon said:

The top team Phil would miss out on a lucrative semi-final.

As the play-offs are a KO competition, why not go the whole hog and involve all the teams after the normal league fixtures have been run.

Top of league gets a bye, then  2 v 7, 3 v 6, 4 v 5. home and away legs, higher league team gets to pick home or away first leg.

Semi - finals, top team gets to pick who they will race out of the other 3 teams, higher league team gets to pick home or away first.

winning teams into final.

All teams have an interest at the end of the season, you could call it The Champions Cup.

Or get the regular season out the way by the end of August and have the top 4 go into a mini- league(3 home matches) and the top 2 after 6 matches each, go into the grand final H and A

Do the BPL riders already doubling down to the BCL retain their 2018 average for 2019 or do they now have to  use their 2018 BPL average multiplied by 1.5?

• Like 2