British Speedway Forum

13 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

I'm all for buster saving the club's, and giving us a top league, well done him. BUT..... what if this scenario happens. 1 match left in season, Peterborough 5th facing Ipswich at Ipswich who are last, a win for Peterborough sees them into play offs. Buster will throw the match, how is that fair 

Come on, you're being silly. That wouldn't happen in speedway:lol: . And if it did, the problem will be averted when there are fewer than five teams to allow someone to get this fifth place? To me, it seems this Buster Chapman geezer has his own real-life version of that speedway PC game we're all yearning for. He can get any results he wants, maybe.   

Edited by moxey63

11 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

I'm all for buster saving the club's, and giving us a top league, well done him. BUT..... what if this scenario happens. 1 match left in season, Peterborough 5th facing Ipswich at Ipswich who are last, a win for Peterborough sees them into play offs. Buster will throw the match, how is that fair 

Of course that won't happen because Lynn will be 4th at the time :rolleyes: thing to really be concerned about is when all three make the play offs....although bloody Poole would still probably win. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On a number of occasions the question has been asked "can two clubs run in the same league even though they are owned by the same person".  I am presuming this question has been asked because there is a fear of self interest or means to manipulate rules and situations given that "voting" on such matters would hardly be democratic on a one man one vote scenario

The (apparently correct) answer has been "yes so long as different promoters are involved" - suggesting a degree of independence from an owners influence.

Yet last week Damien Bates "owner" of Sheffield & Leicester was reported in print as saying " I am waiting to see what happens at the AGM before deciding on which leagues Leicester & Sheffield will compete" Now this statement hardly sounds like different promoters creating an independent culture within speedway. More that. Listen, you may be the promoters, but I am the owner and what I say goes - me dog you tail get wagging.

Now unless somebody can explain how having the same owner of two teams in the same league will never be subject to control of the owner and their (biased) view then it would appear that it is best to presume the sport is indeed run by owners whilst promoters/co promoters of the jointly owned clubs are merely the yes men of the influential few.

If this is the case, just come on out and admit, owners run the clubs, make the big decisions and the promoters merely promote the events. there's nothing wrong with this nor anything we supporters can do about it.  But please unless there is a clear explanation which disproves this thinking, stop continuing to insult our intelligence (or maybe even your own) with a smoke and mirrors attempt to convince the paying public otherwise.

5 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

Now unless somebody can explain how having the same owner of two teams in the same league will never be subject to control of the owner and their (biased) view then it would appear that it is best to presume the sport is indeed run by owners whilst promoters/co promoters of the jointly owned clubs are merely the yes men of the influential few.

Of course, in a proper sport it would be unacceptable for the same owner to have controlling influences in more than one team in the same team, which is why virtually every (if not all) credible sports competition disallows it. However, speedway is already a joke with teams borrowing riders (guests) from other teams in the same league, that it probably makes little difference in practice. 

This said, I can see the benefits of running a league as single corporate entity, because that will allow for better control of costs, and better competitive balance. Provided there's a separation of the league ownership and team management once the riders have been doled out, the contracts agreed, and competition starts, then there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MattK said:

Firstly, most clubs operate at a loss and rely on the generosity of their owners to cover the losses.

So we are asked to believe. That's why some owners take on more than one club, because they like to loose even more.

smoke & mirrors, smoke & mirrors

6 hours ago, woodenspoon said:

It is a total joke, can you imagine a team in footballs Premiership, finishing 2nd in the league, and winning the cup, and then  relegating themselves, no wonder speedway and its league structures have no credibility.

buy them out then all to with finance only joking :nono:

Think it best if “the Buster Chapman Show is left to run his circus”.The Championship looks a bit more creditable although points limit is a bit mean.Its just a joke sport .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Think it best if “the Buster Chapman Show is left to run his circus”.The Championship looks a bit more creditable although points limit is a bit mean.Its just a joke sport .

The Chapmanship and The Championship

• Like 3

Coming from Ipswich I find it a little strange as I don't think anyone could foresee Louis selling up especially to be brought by another current promotion. 

However it seemed to work OK when Pavitt Louis snr. & Western ran both Hackney & Ipswich for a couple of seasons. 

• Like 1

At this rate by 2020 the Premiership season will start with the play off semis in april and end with the final in october. 

• Haha 1

I've worked a few Championship teams out and even with the low 38 average it's still full of doubling down/up rider's.

I've a whole team of 7 doubling up with my made-up line-up and it includes Cook on his Championship 10.45 average.

The only way to combat the problem is that rider's that rode Premiership and Championship has their Premiership averages converted immediately. If not, this doubling isn't going to end.

The other issue then, more likely than not, some rider's will throw points away in the Premiership to lower their average substantially to compensate for the year on year conversion rate increase. 

While the new conversion rates look good and the lower team average in the Championship it's now opened itself up to a whole host of other problems, especially the rider's in the Premiership. 

6 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

The only way to combat the problem is that rider's that rode Premiership and Championship has their Premiership averages converted immediately. If not, this doubling isn't going to end.

This is a point I also raised and I agree that resetting the conversion straight away would work in reducing yhe numbers

It may be just a bit more drastic than could be coped with over 1 winter though

11 hours ago, Spl77 said:

Coming from Ipswich I find it a little strange as I don't think anyone could foresee Louis selling up especially to be brought by another current promotion. 

However it seemed to work OK when Pavitt Louis snr. & Western ran both Hackney & Ipswich for a couple of seasons. 

Until Hackney started to lose money, and they got out sharpish!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

While the new conversion rates look good and the lower team average in the Championship it's now opened itself up to a whole host of other problems, especially the rider's in the Premiership. 

having seen the recent wage demands of two riders slighly over a 4 average,i think the penny has dropped that all the clowns have done by reducing the average in the CL is to increase the value of lower avaerge riders

the two i saw were asking for more than Scunny`s top 3 cost last year

there simply isnt enough riders in the 4 to 5 point bracket to go around--

running at 38 points will not reduce cost one bit,it just moves the cost elsewhere

better to have gone with 6 rider teams and created a surplus,this would have done more to reduce cost than a lower limit

• Like 4

11 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

This is a point I also raised and I agree that resetting the conversion straight away would work in reducing yhe numbers

It may be just a bit more drastic than could be coped with over 1 winter though

I have already posted on this matter asking if anyone knows if 2018 BPL averages apply or will existing BCL 2018 averages be used.  Does anyone indeed know for sure which way it will go?