British Speedway Forum

I thought I had heard that it was a rule that no promoter could run two clubs in the same league, of course I could be dreaming

The Glasgow promotion has thrown tons of money to push awareness of the sport in the city. But it hasn't worked. Indeed, the club has sent out a warning and reverted to the tried and tested formula of allowing volunteers to raise part of the club running costs. We have had over the last 20 years so much live speedway on our screens to encourage any younger person to become interested. It hasn't worked. Promoters haven't a clue. Fans believe they have ideas to sort it out but clash when pitched against the ideas of another fan. Reading the Speedway Star is so depressing. We had a glimmer of hope with the Writing On The Wall edition last week. But that did little to halt a further decline in the sport and nothing really mouth watering came from the AGM. Trying to encourage new people is like flogging a dead horse. Current fans will continue to become discouraged over the next year or two and realise there is no point of following a sport in which the rules are not worth keeping track of and we look at the future of the sport as far ahead as the next meeting. Teams are banded together like a school football match for a PE lesson. You really begin to believe it's a waste of time putting too much energy into supporting it; like a week is a long time for a speedway track. Here today, gone tomorrow. This week is even more distressing than the pre-AGM build up. Who is excited about 2019 and is actually wishing the days away for the start of March and a brand new season? I remember those days. At least next spring is only six months away from another crucial AGM.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Buttons said:

I thought I had heard that it was a rule that no promoter could run two clubs in the same league, of course I could be dreaming

The important word is "Promoter". Buster is "Owner" of three teams but not "Promoter" of three teams. 

I suspect that the original rule makers thought of Owner and Promoter as the same thing and the new idea of having the "Promoter" as a member of paid staff did not cross their minds!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, montie said:

having seen the recent wage demands of two riders slighly over a 4 average,i think the penny has dropped that all the clowns have done by reducing the average in the CL is to increase the value of lower avaerge riders

the two i saw were asking for more than Scunny`s top 3 cost last year

there simply isnt enough riders in the 4 to 5 point bracket to go around--

running at 38 points will not reduce cost one bit,it just moves the cost elsewhere

better to have gone with 6 rider teams and created a surplus,this would have done more to reduce cost than a lower limit

I hope they are both told to 'do one', from all tracks.  A business has to budget realistically.

1 hour ago, moxey63 said:

The Glasgow promotion has thrown tons of money to push awareness of the sport in the city. But it hasn't worked. Indeed, the club has sent out a warning and reverted to the tried and tested formula of allowing volunteers to raise part of the club running costs. We have had over the last 20 years so much live speedway on our screens to encourage any younger person to become interested. It hasn't worked. Promoters haven't a clue. Fans believe they have ideas to sort it out but clash when pitched against the ideas of another fan. Reading the Speedway Star is so depressing. We had a glimmer of hope with the Writing On The Wall edition last week. But that did little to halt a further decline in the sport and nothing really mouth watering came from the AGM. Trying to encourage new people is like flogging a dead horse. Current fans will continue to become discouraged over the next year or two and realise there is no point of following a sport in which the rules are not worth keeping track of and we look at the future of the sport as far ahead as the next meeting. Teams are banded together like a school football match for a PE lesson. You really begin to believe it's a waste of time putting too much energy into supporting it; like a week is a long time for a speedway track. Here today, gone tomorrow. This week is even more distressing than the pre-AGM build up. Who is excited about 2019 and is actually wishing the days away for the start of March and a brand new season? I remember those days. At least next spring is only six months away from another crucial AGM.

They have got a bit of a front at Glasgow. They come in ,throw money around like confetti , sign a Grand Prix rider to ride in the 2nd Division then have the nerve to complain their losing money.

• Like 2

Have Chris Louis and Ged Rathbone actually 'sold up or out' to Buster Chapman?

The statements use the phrase 'reached a commercial agreement' or similar, which can mean all sorts of things.

I wonder how long the 'ownership' will continue?  Having got the League structure agreed, lots can change before the season actually starts, not least when BSPA Ltd becomes active.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

The important word is "Promoter". Buster is "Owner" of three teams but not "Promoter" of three teams. 

I suspect that the original rule makers thought of Owner and Promoter as the same thing and the new idea of having the "Promoter" as a member of paid staff did not cross their minds!

Nothing new really. There was the Allied Presentations consortium back during the late sixties early seventies although each member did appear to run a track independantly. However I do recall Reg Fearman having 'thumbs' at different tracks. Tony Mole was another who bought up stadiums/promotions duting the nineties

2 minutes ago, iwright71 said:

They have got a bit of a front at Glasgow. They come in ,throw money around like confetti , sign a Grand Prix rider to ride in the 2nd Division then have the nerve to complain their losing money.

I thought they were trying to give it their best shot, something many so-called promoters haven't done, try to extend the sport out to the wider public and make it more aware of what's happening. We have seen it many many times in the past. Promoters come in and try, then disappear with heavy losses. You can't criticise them for thinking, perhaps, that other than the few hundred that gather on match nights might have been persuaded by their efforts. They are businessmen, after all. It does appear as if there are no benefits on promoting a speedway club by throwing the cash around as they have done. The only people really interested are those you already have through the turnstiles. That is a worry.

So many things in Speedway are simple & easy - then they get made complicated.  One of Speedway greatest "simple" things is riders are (should be) paid per point scored, if promoters set sensible, realistic & affordable rates per point for each league & all agree to stick to those rates speedway in the U.K. would be in a much better place!

Riders will then know what's on offer wherever they ride & cut their cloth to suit. If the rates are not except-able they need to look elsewhere for employment. 

• Like 2

Simple solution to wage demands is to take that option away all together.

Fixed rate pay per point regardless.

Premiership £150pp

Championship £60pp

National League £30pp

Also, I think bonus points should only be paid for heat advantages.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Have Chris Louis and Ged Rathbone actually 'sold up or out' to Buster Chapman?

The statements use the phrase 'reached a commercial agreement' or similar, which can mean all sorts of things.

I wonder how long the 'ownership' will continue?  Having got the League structure agreed, lots can change before the season actually starts, not least when BSPA Ltd becomes active.

You'll be able to read all about it in the first set of accounts

Personaly I don't see any encouraging signs after the outcome of the AGM,looks like another sticking plaster job to me.Disapointing IMO .

• Like 3

So much for the old maxim that the Chapmanship Premiership needed 8 teams to be viable. 

1 hour ago, iainb said:

You'll be able to read all about it in the first set of accounts

Which you won't see until July 2020 at the earliest

• Like 1

Am I correct in saying that the Premier League teams have only 12  home league meetings plus a British Youth Championship round ,or have I missed something ?