British Speedway Forum

1 minute ago, Thornaby48 said:

Am I correct in saying that the Premier League teams have only 12  home league meetings plus a British Youth Championship round ,or have I missed something ?

The 'Premiership Supporters Cup' will open the season, two mini-leagues of three and four Clubs.

2 hours ago, winstoncigar said:

Which you won't see until July 2020 at the earliest

You should be able to see the ownership details when the company is registered. Will be interesting to see who the shareholders are.

3 hours ago, winstoncigar said:

Which you won't see until July 2020 at the earliest

Likely to be simplified accounts which won't tell you much. 

3 hours ago, uk_martin said:

So much for the old maxim that the Chapmanship Premiership needed 8 teams to be viable. 

It perhaps did when Sky were running the show. :unsure:

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Thornaby48 said:

Am I correct in saying that the Premier League teams have only 12  home league meetings plus a British Youth Championship round ,or have I missed something ?

Home and away twice going by the press release from the other day.

http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/news.php?extend.35805

1 hour ago, NeilWatson said:

The 'Premiership Supporters Cup' will open the season, two mini-leagues of three and four Clubs.

To be a real "Premiership Supporters Cup' the group of 3 has to be King's Lynn, Ipswich and Peterborough. 

A great way to start the season.

8 hours ago, moxey63 said:

The Glasgow promotion has thrown tons of money to push awareness of the sport in the city. But it hasn't worked. Indeed, the club has sent out a warning and reverted to the tried and tested formula of allowing volunteers to raise part of the club running costs. We have had over the last 20 years so much live speedway on our screens to encourage any younger person to become interested. It hasn't worked. Promoters haven't a clue. Fans believe they have ideas to sort it out but clash when pitched against the ideas of another fan. Reading the Speedway Star is so depressing. We had a glimmer of hope with the Writing On The Wall edition last week. But that did little to halt a further decline in the sport and nothing really mouth watering came from the AGM. Trying to encourage new people is like flogging a dead horse. Current fans will continue to become discouraged over the next year or two and realise there is no point of following a sport in which the rules are not worth keeping track of and we look at the future of the sport as far ahead as the next meeting. Teams are banded together like a school football match for a PE lesson. You really begin to believe it's a waste of time putting too much energy into supporting it; like a week is a long time for a speedway track. Here today, gone tomorrow. This week is even more distressing than the pre-AGM build up. Who is excited about 2019 and is actually wishing the days away for the start of March and a brand new season? I remember those days. At least next spring is only six months away from another crucial AGM.

ME :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Me too. I wouldnt be if Leicester were still in the PL but CL with more teams has renewed my enthusiasm for 2019.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Buttons said:

I thought I had heard that it was a rule that no promoter could run two clubs in the same league, of course I could be dreaming

Buster isn't running 2, he is running 3 lol

• Haha 1

Busters doing a great job finishing speedway off and his mate godfrey might buy some more championship clubs;)

Im watching speedway in poland next yr

Let them crack on with it(turn the lights off when your done please)

The new Ltd company should be responsible for all speedway marketing nationally, just because speedway promoters are called promoters does not mean that they necessarily have the skill set to promote the sport or their club, this should be done by professionals. A national campaign to find major sponsors for each league should be undertaken. Speedway itself should seek a major sponsor, Speedway GP can do it why can't Speedway GB? The national title should have a major sponsor, remember the days when all things British speedway were sponsored by British Coal under the Sunbrite banner. Seeing speedway on TV with 500 or a 1,000 people crowded into a small spectator area of a stadium and the rest being empty is not a good look. I moved to Australia in the 90's and we regularly get coverage of the Speedway GP's, my wife recently asked me why more people don't watch speedway as it's such an exciting sport, this is what needs to communicated to non speedway people. 

As for diluting the product I believe that there should be a return to the 45 point team average as a minimum, preferably 48, why should teams that can commercially work to these limits be punished? There should also be a minimum points limit. I can recall the days in the 80's where clubs had three out and out heat leaders, with the third heat leader generally having an average above 7 and a half with the top two riders averaging above 9. Speedway promoters need be aspirational and want to get to the pinnacle of the sport, Matt Ford and Poole should not be the butt of jokes, they should be congratulated for creating such a successful business model and fantastic product for the public. In these days where the sports and leisure market is so huge and varied you need to understand where your threats are and be looking at the bigger picture, you also need to understand how to make the most of opportunities for cross promotion.

Guest riders is another area that needs to addressed, the Premiership KO Cup Final with Somerset using 3 or so guest riders is ridiculous, clubs should be limited to using one guest rider for one of their top two averaging riders only. What happened to the days where teams had rider assets riding in other leagues that you could call on, the old number 8's? Fans need to be able to identify with their riders, having club assets riding in other leagues also stimulated interest in those clubs from the parent clubs supporters.

The return of the 3tt craven shield would have been a good filler. With champions straight through to the final. In this case Poole. Could have been something a little different. An extra meeting at each track minimum

12 hours ago, proud panther said:

Buster isn't running 2, he is running 3 lol

Riders have to double up, double down because there aren't enough of them. And now we have one promoter owning several clubs merely to keep the sport going.

Hitler couldn't silence British speedway fully. But, by gosh, we may be getting closer to it happening in the ensuing years.

What has it come to? 

Edited by moxey63

"We're all doomed Cap'n Mainwaring, we're all doomed'!!

FFS people get a grip!!

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

"We're all doomed Cap'n Mainwaring, we're all doomed'!!

FFS people get a grip!!

Are your blinkers in Poole colours? Wasn't this a set of fans that because they languished near the foot of the table and looked set to miss out on play-offs, they demanded Matt Ford's head and began to stop attending matches? I'd say that was a scenario where getting a grip was needed. Thankfully, Poole came good and all was well, the fans stayed happy. But, god forbid they have a season when they don't win the play-offs. The entire fabric of British speedway is more important than one particular club. But I suppose that is how we got here, the powerful clubs pulling the strings over the years and letting the weak go and do one.

• Like 1