British Speedway Forum

3 hours ago, Danny Connor said:

The return of the 3tt craven shield would have been a good filler. With champions straight through to the final. In this case Poole. Could have been something a little different. An extra meeting at each track minimum

Guaranteed 15 home meetings. Not bad at all

2 meetings in the Premiership Supporters Cup

1 meeting in the KO Cup

12 Premiership league meetings

Problem with all these competitions if progressing through all the tournaments we could meet 1-2 teams 5 times at home in a season.

I'm no fan of the BSPA or Chapman. They have done nothing this year to show that there is even the beginnings of an effective plan to overcome the many current problems but to suggest that the end is nigh and imminent is ridiculous. It may be that if no radical plan is devised that riders will have to realise that most, if not all, will have to become semi professional but I would be very surprised if team speedway is still not about for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Guaranteed 15 home meetings. Not bad at all

2 meetings in the Premiership Supporters Cup

1 meeting in the KO Cup

12 Premiership league meetings

Problem with all these competitions if progressing through all the tournaments we could meet 1-2 teams 5 times at home in a season.

Each side will host a round of the British Youth Championships too

• Like 1

I didn’t see the ko cup mentioned . I guessed the supporters cup was a replacement. I’m not really Alan of the concept. Heat 15 as voted for by fans if I understand that right? I’ll vote in the oppositions reserves if it’s tight. Fan integration could have been a guessing the heat outcomes vs other fans! Not actually impacting the meeting! I’m happy with 14/15 meetings. The craven shield was just something different. That’s why I chosen it

I agree Aces51, Team Speedway will carry on for a good time yet...

It sadly will need to be the cobbled together variety rather than 'proper teams' but maybe changes will be made to sort this..

The possible light at the end of the enormous tunnel is that there does seem to be a recognition that sharing riders between leagues simply adds too much pressure to the fixture list, and generates guest riders, which do nothing to aid the sports standing in the wider sporting fan base, so steps seem to have been taken..

They also have recognised the need to have aspirational improvements so making the three leagues clearly of differing levels can only be a positive thing...

The Sport has effectively tried to kill itself by self administrating a 1000 cuts, so finding plasters to stem the flow of blood for all of them in one go won't be achievable..

Tentatively, it does look like they may actually have some ideas on how to undo some of the self inflicted nonsense that has been allowed to pass itself off, for far too long, as a 'proper team sport'..

A long, long way to go but let's hope it works...

It seems to be a long term plan at least, which is more than we have had for some time,..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

1 meeting in the KO Cup

Has this been confirmed, as I've not seen any official reference to it?

Edited by KevH

Good that the BSPA see the value of a five year plan. Anybody have any idea what it is?

Would be good to see a vision statement made public that reflects the 5 year plan and who knows may help the BSPA customers (fans &supporters who are the ones who collectively pump the most money into keeping speedway  going) understand the progress being made of the 5 year plan  

Edited by 1 valve
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

Good that the BSPA see the value of a five year plan. Anybody have any idea what it is?

Would be good to see a vision statement made public that reflects the 5 year plan and who knows may help the BSPA customers (fans &supporters who are the ones who collectively pump the most money into keeping speedway  going) understand the progress being made of the 5 year plan  

I saw that mentioned yesterday and wondered what it is.

Having read last weeks Speedway Star devoting a whole issue to 'speedway in crisis' you read the statement from the BSPA after the AGM and it seems they don't think there is that much wrong and a few tweaks will suffice. To have only 7 teams in the top division is embarrassing, particularly when the top 4 will contest the play offs .I look at a club like Belle Vue, I can't see how they can improve their financial position when they are still riding on a Monday night. The fixed race nights didn't work for some clubs last year and they won't work this. Unfortunately until the promoters admit to themselves that the core product at most tracks is not good enough, often enough, the sport is a busted flush . You can promote all you want, improve your presentation, but if the stuff on the track is not exciting enough people will continue to stay away. I can't believe that Peter Oakes whose column I like reading thinks the racing is better than ever. In the top division Belle Vue being the obvious exception I am just not seeing it, at my local track or on TV.  Over the years there have been rules that I probably didn't like, riders have come and gone, 2 leagues, 1 big league, double points , tactical subs etc etc etc but never has any of the rules provoked me to stop going every week for 30 years because the at the  core speedway was still good. I no longer attend solely because the core product I deem is not good enough, Looking at the terraces these days I am presuming many others may think the same.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

BSPA have tried a multi year plan before, that didnt get much past year one. Lets hope they have better luck this time round, I never thought all of the problems we have would be sorted in one three day AGM, lets just hope its at least a start.

On 11/17/2018 at 11:40 AM, Skidder1 said:

"We're all doomed Cap'n Mainwaring, we're all doomed'!!

FFS people get a grip!!

Of your teams owner/promoter and shake them until their egos and blind faith give way to common sense and meaningful actions. 

19 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

I saw that mentioned yesterday and wondered what it is.

Increase multiplier between Premiership & Championship by 0.1 per year until it reach x2

37 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

The first year appears to be "do nothing".

2 minutes ago, Tom Thumb said:

Increase multiplier between Premiership & Championship by 0.1 per year until it reach x2

Is that it? I don't do that type of stuff so what does that mean and what's the objective?

The objective is to stop PL riders doubling down, basically like it was when no one with a PL average of more than 6 could ride in what is now the CL

Edited by The Third Man