British Speedway Forum

41 minutes ago, Tom Thumb said:

Increase multiplier between Premiership & Championship by 0.1 per year until it reach x2

Is that the major plan  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Is that the major plan  :rolleyes:

It is the major plan. And it’s a corker. Don’t forget the monthly press release from the directors either :unsure:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mr Bump said:

It is the major plan. And it’s a corker. Don’t forget the monthly press release from the directors either :unsure:

Cannot wait  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I know there is a lot of Micky taking about that but around the year 2000 that was the setup and it was pretty good. Weakening the middle tier and getting the strength to half the top league is probably the best thing To come out of it all structure wise. I hope they stick to it.

i hope the things that haven’t been said get improved on. Better more reliable tracks (kildermand in the star), race day experience (fix sound systems, cut hold ups), less rain offs (more tracks introducing covers) and most importantly better advertising that the sport exists. Make the stadiums look smart and tidy too. That will improve the image! 

These are things you can’t really make rules for though. But they are common sense ways that the sport can improve. The structure is there. The sport in general is good. It’s just the way it’s put out at times on these fronts. Riders moaning about track conditions. Make sure the tracks are perfect! No riders moaning. 1 less negative. Onto the next! Rain offs, reduce them with covers, next! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Danny Connor said:

I know there is a lot of Micky taking about that but around the year 2000 that was the setup and it was pretty good. Weakening the middle tier and getting the strength to half the top league is probably the best thing To come out of it all structure wise. I hope they stick to it.

i hope the things that haven’t been said get improved on. Better more reliable tracks (kildermand in the star), race day experience (fix sound systems, cut hold ups), less rain offs (more tracks introducing covers) and most importantly better advertising that the sport exists. Make the stadiums look smart and tidy too. That will improve the image! 

These are things you can’t really make rules for though. But they are common sense ways that the sport can improve. The structure is there. The sport in general is good. It’s just the way it’s put out at times on these fronts. Riders moaning about track conditions. Make sure the tracks are perfect! No riders moaning. 1 less negative. Onto the next! Rain offs, reduce them with covers, next! 

Unless people like you are prepared to put the covers out and take them up when the rain stops forget that idea.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Third Man said:

The objective is to stop PL riders doubling down, basically like it was when no one with a PL average of more than 6 could ride in what is now the CL

It’ll give the double up/down riders a chance to get use to riding once a week and therefore having to take a job outside speedway as we move towards the amateur league set up by 2022/23.   

23 minutes ago, ouch said:

It’ll give the double up/down riders a chance to get use to riding once a week and therefore having to take a job outside speedway as we move towards the amateur league set up by 2022/23.   

AND what other job outside of speedway would allow them the variable time off required to get to and from tracks let alone actually race? It is hard enough as it is to see why any one would want to be a speedway rider these days without making it even more unviable than it already is. The way to stop doubling up is to ensure that riders can make a living riding from just one team and that will only come about with more and regular meetings for the track they are actually attached to.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

AND what other job outside of speedway would allow them the variable time off required to get to and from tracks let alone actually race? It is hard enough as it is to see why any one would want to be a speedway rider these days without making it even more unviable than it already is. The way to stop doubling up is to ensure that riders can make a living riding from just one team and that will only come about with more and regular meetings for the track they are actually attached to.

It used to happen all the time in the past, I can remember lots of riders having a job in the 1970's

Edited by The Third Man

Is the bspa going to publish the 2018 final green sheet averages and any idea when ?

4 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Is the bspa going to publish the 2018 final green sheet averages and any idea when ?

Also need to publish and clarify criteria/averages for new and returning riders

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Third Man said:

It used to happen all the time in the past, I can remember lots of riders having a job in the 1970's

THINGS were very different then. Lots of riders were part time mechanics, often with their own small businesses servicing cars etc. They barely exist now. And the basic costs for riders is off the scale compared to 40 plus years ago.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

...and dare I say a return of second halves (respected Businessman, ex-Promoter and National Team Manager James Easter has been quoted as saying same) . I recall Phil Crump saying during the twilight of his career that he was seriously thinking about finishing riding in the UK due to the demise of the old second halves (1984) because of potential lost earnings. However, as we all know, speedway has declined massively since those days and the number of people now attending wouldn't make it financially viable.

Of course back then there were numerous open meeting and regional competitions but supporters gradually showed dis-interest in such events and  therefore can't really complain about the apparent irregularities within today's market.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

We had a rider at the end of the season that couldn't get time off work. so missed the meeting (Matty Wethers for Newcastle at Workington).

14 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

We know they are working to lessen the double up/down. When their plan works you have, say the Worrall twins, should they choose the top division averaging four rides a week over the season. When you take into account riding on bank holidays, even I’d be happy enough to let my lads off to participate in the highest level the UK can provide. 

I agree with your last sentence but unfortunately the powers that be didn’t. 

If there were plenty of meetings available for riders at one track then doubling up would not be an issue. And in the 60s and 70s when my track at Wolverhampton used to regularly have over 30 home meetings a season then that might have applied. But now I see that CVS is guaranteeing only 15 meetings there next season (if Wolves fail to make the play offs), and that was how many meetings they had last season.

The top riders ride for 2, 3 or 4 clubs as season, albeit in different countries.  I don't see why we should deprive other riders of the opportunity to increase their income by riding in more than one league in the UK. It needs to be clear what happens when fixtures clash, and it isn't ideal that this leads to more guest riders, but it is necessary economically. 

In an ideal world we would have one rider one club. But how many riders would be able to make the sport pay with those restrictions, particularly with a 7 team top flight.

• Like 1