British Speedway Forum

On 10/26/2018 at 7:14 PM, brylcream boy said:

Like or loath Facebook, if you click on a link for something, eg holidays, you quickly get numerous ads for holidays appear. I would not have a clue of the expense or technology involved, but someone clicked on a page for motorcar/ bike racing, an advert of speedway could pop up with an action video. I would guess the average age of folk on this forum is about 110, but the 25-35 year olds who they should be trying to attract spend every moment on Facebook. That age group would also spend on food and drink.

Facebook is actually pretty good value for targeted advertising. Because it has so much info already you can pick who and where you’re after - for example people over 25? 45? 65? Within 10 miles of a certain postcode, who have interests in sport or motor racing or whatever, and you’ll reach 10k people or so for about £50. 

Like you say it’s surprising ( or not ) that you don’t see this for local teams. 

Will set race nights be discussed I wonder.

On 10/26/2018 at 7:35 PM, Spl77 said:

Looking at the amount of tracks up for sale it looks like some of the more sensible ones involved in speedway are trying to get out. Question is are there buyers queuing up to by into a worthless product? 

The only chance some tracks have of finding a buyer is a Big Lottery Winner who is already an addicted fan locally and who wants to throw their money away. No sensible investor - outside of speedway - would contemplate burning their fingers with a speedway club.

3 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

The only chance some tracks have of finding a buyer is a Big Lottery Winner who is already an addicted fan locally and who wants to throw their money away. No sensible investor - outside of speedway - would contemplate burning their fingers with a speedway club.

There are more positive people than you out there m8, thank goodness!!  You don't have all the answers, nobody has, there are lots of good things about our sport, you're on such downer about it, jeeeeez! Go down to the Isle of Wight Speedway next year, might help with your lack of positivity!! 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Trees said:

There are more positive people than you out there m8, thank goodness!!  You don't have all the answers, nobody has, there are lots of good things about our sport, you're on such downer about it, jeeeeez! Go down to the Isle of Wight Speedway next year, might help with your lack of positivity!! 

What I think understandably depresses a lot of fans are the many lost years when the right action could have at best turned the future of the sport around or, at the very least, stopped the continual decline.

Those most recently in charge have shown that they don't have the answers and it is alarming that the current chairman believes that there is little wrong with how the sport is currently run.

There are people who are positive but that of itself doesn't help. We need people in charge who understand what is wrong and who have the vision and ability to put it right. 

I agree with what you say about the Isle of Wight, I see good things happening at Glasgow and the promoters at my own club are working to increase the profile of the club and to get the fans and riders more involved with each other. I am sure they and other promoters could all contribute to improving the sport if others will listen and work together.

However, that is fiddling round the edges of the major problems. There's a need for a proper root and branch look at the sport. They need to identify what needs to be done to make the sport attractive to many more people than currently attend.

To be accepted as a serious, professional sport it has to be credible and run with integrity. To take the most recent example, ignoring a rule for one night only in the final of the premier competition would never stand up to the scrutiny of the mainstream media and should never happen. We need 21st century presentations, slick and entertaining, tracks prepared to provide the best possible racing and to make fans feel valued. When the overall product has been improved we need then to make sure that those currently unaware of their local track become aware. We know that the money isn't there for individual tracks to invest in huge scale advertising so thought needs to be given to a common fund for effective national advertising and ways found to supplement that by affordable local initiatives.

• Like 2

Think the reality is we will soon be a semi professional sport within the UK. Arguments going on behind the scenes not much agreement and these people are supposed to have the interest of the sport at heart. Sadly too many are only interested in their own club and little bubble around them. Too many ego’s in the room too, it’s no coincidence that we have ‘decent’ people leaving the sport because the old wood in the sport can’t see further than there nose. Take the Peterborough info  now finally realised this week, how can someone who is investing in our sport and buying assets then be punished and lose out? Seems to be the same people within the top table doing more and more damage year in year out. The sport has been sold up the river in the last 10 years, the TV deal is an absolute joke and to think the money involved before to now! Make the sport simple and stop punishing winning teams, fans want to see more continuity with riders who they can connect with, not having to sack them because they were too successful. 

Edited by Pirates Of Poole
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

What I think understandably depresses a lot of fans are the many lost years when the right action could have at best turned the future of the sport around or, at the very least, stopped the continual decline.

Those most recently in charge have shown that they don't have the answers and it is alarming that the current chairman believes that there is little wrong with how the sport is currently run.

There are people who are positive but that of itself doesn't help. We need people in charge who understand what is wrong and who have the vision and ability to put it right. 

I agree with what you say about the Isle of Wight, I see good things happening at Glasgow and the promoters at my own club are working to increase the profile of the club and to get the fans and riders more involved with each other. I am sure they and other promoters could all contribute to improving the sport if others will listen and work together.

However, that is fiddling round the edges of the major problems. There's a need for a proper root and branch look at the sport. They need to identify what needs to be done to make the sport attractive to many more people than currently attend.

To be accepted as a serious, professional sport it has to be credible and run with integrity. To take the most recent example, ignoring a rule for one night only in the final of the premier competition would never stand up to the scrutiny of the mainstream media and should never happen. We need 21st century presentations, slick and entertaining, tracks prepared to provide the best possible racing and to make fans feel valued. When the overall product has been improved we need then to make sure that those currently unaware of their local track become aware. We know that the money isn't there for individual tracks to invest in huge scale advertising so thought needs to be given to a common fund for effective national advertising and ways found to supplement that by affordable local initiatives.

Re the play off final between Poole and Lynn, I think they did the right thing for a few tenths of a point difference, would have been more consternation had the riders swopped teams on the two nights?  Maybe the promoters need to keep the averages in house so the fans cannot have a say, the more I think about it, yes they do need to do that, then nobody would’ve been any the wiser about Ellis and Morris.  

British speedway tries hard to keep teams even and fair, that’s one of the reasons our rules are so complicated, promoters continually try to outdo one another to get an advantage to help them win, which you can understand but it has to led to so many loophole closures (new rules).

What do the fans want, what will bring new fans in and keep them coming, imo, PASSES and TEAM RIDING.  But how do we get that, is it change in engines, tracks, tyres, track shape, track material, riders’ mentality, handicap racing, I don’t know but at the end of the day you can have all the extra entertainment money can buy but it’s the RACING that counts. 

It’s a bit of a chicken and egg situation for the promoters, they need more fans bringing in the money to improve their clubs but they need to spend more money to bring in the fans, it’s a really hard situation but yes of course they need to be all working together and they certainly could asa promoting is concerned, I’d like to think part of the conference would be 'sharing promotion initiatives’ .....

50 minutes ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Think the reality is we will soon be a semi professional sport within the UK. Arguments going on behind the scenes not much agreement and these people are supposed to have the interest of the sport at heart. Sadly too many are only interested in their own club and little bubble around them. Too many ego’s in the room too, it’s no coincidence that we have ‘decent’ people leaving the sport because the old wood in the sport can’t see further than there nose. Take the Peterborough info  now finally realised this week, how can someone who is investing in our sport and buying assets then be punished and lose out? Seems to be the same people within the top table doing more and more damage year in year out. The sport has been sold up the river in the last 10 years, the TV deal is an absolute joke and to think the money involved before to now! Make the sport simple and stop punishing winning teams, fans want to see more continuity with riders who they can connect with, not having to sack them because they were too successful. 

The majority of clubs keep the the majority of their team members from year to year imo

3 minutes ago, Trees said:

The majority of clubs keep the the majority of their team members from year to year imo

I disagree over the past decade winning team have had to be ripped apart.

• Like 1

As a matter of principle it can never be the right for the authorities to sanction the breaking of rules. They should change the rule if it is shown to be stupid or unworkable. However, in this case the rule was sensible and yet all concerned agreed to ignore the rules and agreed to the use of an illegal guest. Can you imagine the headlines if this happened in a major sport and isn't that we we aspire to be.

They changed the rule relating to different teams using the same guest and that was sensible, albeit embarrassing. They didn't change the guest rider rule because they knew that it is sensible to allow the additional 5% for a guest at home but not away. The logical rationale behind the rule is that the vast majority of riders have a higher home average than their GSA but the opposite applies away, where most riders have a lower average than their GSA.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 2

Does  anybody seriously think that "The Gang of Two" and their disciples will do anything other than what is in their own self interest?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

I disagree over the past decade winning team have had to be ripped apart.

True, although Swindon kept 5 of theirs and the Poole team isn't that high. If the points limit is 44.5 then Poole can keep all 7. 

1 hour ago, wealdstone said:

Does  anybody seriously think that "The Gang of Two" and their disciples will do anything other than what is in their own self interest?

Nope and that is the problem, do the same as past few years and British Speedway will be finished. As normal they will try and water down and product that has continued to be watered down Over the past 8 years!

Edited by Pirates Of Poole
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

True, although Swindon kept 5 of theirs and the Poole team isn't that high. If the points limit is 44.5 then Poole can keep all 7. 

I can ussure you it won’t be either of the latter!