British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Which particular 'Gang of 2' are we talking about here?  I'm hearing KC is stepping down?!

Hope you are hearing correctly !!! Then it will be just one until more potential gang members pass  the initiation test.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trees said:

That’s not MOST clubs ....  the Stars have kept the majority of their riders from year to year, for sure 2017 to 2018 was an exception although we resigned a few of the team we ended up with plus NKI came back.

Riders used in 2018

Belle Vue 11

King's Lynn 11

Leicester 15

Poole 13

Somerset 10

Swindon 8

Wolves 8

Only 2 teams in single figures... I'd say that was most

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Riders used in 2018

Belle Vue 11

King's Lynn 11

Leicester 15

Poole 13

Somerset 10

Swindon 8

Wolves 8

Of those changes though, any to replace Injured riders should be discounted as a change imho.

Don't know why anyone is bothered with teams changing their riders..

They change on an adhoc basis most weeks every time they use a guest..

At least changing poor performers gives the sport at least a 'nod' towards proper Sports that do the same, and gives the impression to anyone observing from outside the "Speedway Bubble" that it has bona fide Championships worth actually winning..

(Even if we know the reality to be somewhat different)...

4 hours ago, iainb said:

Riders used in 2018

Belle Vue 11

King's Lynn 11

Leicester 15

Poole 13

Somerset 10

Swindon 8

Wolves 8

With the exception of injury-ridden Leicester, the 4 teams making the most changes were the eventual play-off semi-finalists.

2 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Of those changes though, any to replace Injured riders should be discounted as a change imho.

Of those 11 riders we used in 2018,  two additional riders were replacements of Kerr ( long term injury)  and Rose (Retire from the sport)  plus another was used for injury cover for Andersen.   So a more realistic number of changes, for changes sake, would be much less.    Kings Lynn have never been a side to change riders at will and would usually allow them time to find their feet again. It would be wrong to make comparison against other clubs who regularly change just because riders  have a off night..

NB.  But in saying that ,   I don't believe the Stars team would have been so close to honours had it not been for injuries suffered and retired personnel..   We would never have changed those riders  had it not been forced on us.     It was only the late acquisitions of MPT and Riss that propelled us into a  winning team.     This is why I found losing hard to take.   I cannot see this ever happening again because this went against everything the Stars stand for.    We are a team who stick together through thick and thin.  We are happy to retain the assembled team for the whole season,  we have never had that winning mentality, we accept losing as a matter of course .       

This is why losing that final created  the deepest cut of them all.   That once in a lifetime opportunity,  had gone forever .           

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, iainb said:

Riders used in 2018

Belle Vue 11

King's Lynn 11

Leicester 15

Poole 13

Somerset 10

Swindon 8

Wolves 8

Belle Vue only made 2 changes, both at reserve. The other two riders you have included were signed on 28 day contracts to replace Steve Worrall during his long absence through injury.

In fact, if you look at the Aces, Cook had been with them for about 8 years, Fricke  and Worrall  4 years, Bewley since he started racing and Tungate is in his second season. That's about as much continuity as you'll ever get whilst team building is governed by a points limit and arguably as much as you would want or get whatever the system.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 1

I read in this week's Speedway Star an article about collecting speedway memorabilia. Often fans will buy a rare item and keep it protected somewhere in their home and then pass it over in later years to another hoarder, usually in the same shape as when they bought it and make a bit of a profit.

But promoters do not get it. They fulfil their craze to buy an old speedway club, hold on to it for a few years, keep it unprotected from all stress or strains, claim to lose thousands, and then off load it to the next mad person who believes they can restore it to former condition.

We have let a bunch of idiots polish a family jewel with a brillo.

Edited by moxey63
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, moxey63 said:

I read in this week's Speedway Star an article about collecting speedway memorabilia. Often fans will buy a rare item and keep it protected somewhere in their home and then pass it over in later years to another hoarder, usually in the same shape as when they bought it and make a bit of a profit.

But promoters do not get it. They fulfil their craze to buy an old speedway club, hold on to it for a few years, keep it unprotected from all stress or strains, claim to lose thousands, and then off load it to the next mad person who believes they can restore it to former condition.

We have let a bunch of idiots polish a family jewel with a brillo.

What a load of crap from the usual suspect. You should try paying to get in sometime.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

What a load of crap from the usual suspect. You should try paying to get in sometime.

If my entrance fee would save the sport, I would pay. But speedway is like a waster in life. Give it the earth and they'll flit it away. The SKY money like a kid burning a hole in their pocket. If you really feel I'm the problem, with all your sniping and snarling, about my so-called freebies, then it's certainly not only the sport in need of urgent assessment.

Edited by moxey63

2 hours ago, moxey63 said:

If my entrance fee would save the sport, I would pay. But speedway is like a waster in life. Give it the earth and they'll flit it away. The SKY money like a kid burning a hole in their pocket. If you really feel I'm the problem, with all your sniping and snarling, about my so-called freebies, then it's certainly not only the sport in need of urgent assessment.

We both know its NOT 'so-called' freebies. You don't go cos you have to pay to get in. You are part of the problem, like it or not.

Having been confined to hospital the past week, your attacks on my posts mean nothing. The morphene seems to make them even funnier. I have a broken femur and shoulder, really painful, the fault of an idiot who apparently didn't see me when he pulled into a junction and i crashed over his bonnet, hit my head on his screen and then fell onto the floor. Most painful experience I have had. A 12 inch rod knocked into my leg and screws everywhere. Now, the driver has admitted it was his fault, the police too, and the taxi driver who caught it on his dash cam. But not one of them could provide proof that my freebie had brought speedway to where it is now. But they said at least I survived my near death experience. What is speedway, they asked.

Edited by moxey63
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, moxey63 said:

Having been confined to hospital the past week, your attacks on my posts mean nothing. The morphene seems to make them even funnier. I have a broken femur and shoulder, really painful, the fault of an idiot who apparently didn't see me when he pulled into a junction and i crashed over his bonnet, hit my head on his screen and then fell onto the floor. Most painful experience I have had. A 12 inch rod knocked into my leg and screws everywhere. Now, the driver has admitted it was his fault, the police too, and the taxi driver who caught it on his dash cam. But not one of them could provide proof that my freebie had brought speedway to where it is now. But they said at least I survived my near death experience. What is speedway, they asked.

Take care, it looks as if it's also affecting your head.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Take care, it looks as if it's also affecting your head.

It has. Dreamt the other night about a meeting being attempted using car lights after a power cut. Even nurse laughed.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Reading between the lines, maybe it's my drugs, so please excuse me. But are you a speedway promoter from the past? It's just the way you defend the way most have left a gravel yard that was once a nice little summer place. If so, perhaps it's easier to blame someone else for a problem perhaps you have helped create. I know, the drugs. I will probably be deleting it when I have clearer mind.

Edited by moxey63