British Speedway Forum

4 hours ago, Dodger Blue said:

I think the first morning will be like a market with promoters, who are trying to sell their clubs, all standing behind suitcases having donned sheepskin coats and cloth caps shouting at the passing punters in broad cockney accents .... 'I'm not asking 20,000 I'm not even asking 10,000' etc etc!!B) 

You know it makes sense...

Lavverley Jabberley..

Cash only though obviously...

(In used notes)..

Cushty...

(Keep yer eye out fer vem developerz Rodney, scarper quick if yer see 'em)...

23 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

SPECIAL pre-AGM edition of Speedway Star next week ... plenty of fans voicing their opinions about the way ahead for British speedway.

Excellent, mind you will they listen and take good ideas on board !!

• Like 1

The fixture list was doomed from the start of the season but even half way the through the season the promoters would not believe it!:rofl:

Edited by topaz325

Major issue with Championship, the Premier was all done and dusted. The championship is the main reason the sport In the UK is dragging. Time for the  top league to separate and go alone leaving some the championship to argue amongst themselves.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Major issue with Championship, the Premier was all done and dusted. The championship is the main reason the sport In the UK is dragging. Time for the  top league to separate and go alone leaving some the championship to argue amongst themselves.

One way to end doubling up, I suppose

Amazing article in this week’s Speedway Star special by Tomasz Lorek on how Polish speedway has TV companies fighting for rights with mind-boggling figures. It’s a must-read for every British promoter and fan.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Amazing article in this week’s Speedway Star special by Tomasz Lorek on how Polish speedway has TV companies fighting for rights with mind-boggling figures. It’s a must-read for every British promoter and fan.

Not that long since the BSPA had a very good deal with a certain Sky TV - for some reason(s) and after many years of enjoying the cash, they don't appear to have done anything with it?  Unless you include giving out a commission to a certain Mr R or paying "top" riders more than they could afford to do so.

• Like 1

Not posted on here before but I grew up in Cheshire in the 70s and watched BV on Saturday nights.  In the 80s and 90s - I toured the country weekly doing about 3 meetings at different tracks each week for about 15 years.  Like many people I’ve generally moved on - I do the occasional BV meeting when I’m in the North and I’ve been to Cardiff a few times but I do about the same number of meetings in a year now that I used to do in a week.  I hear all the discussions re rule changes and leagues etc. But as a sport Speedway disappeared up its own arse years ago; a simple and potentially exciting sport has been overly complicated by stupid rules that make limited sense and only serve to scare off new customers.  Speedway has used and abused its faithful for too long and failed to appeal to or attract a new generation.  I stopped going because the fun and excitement disappeared too few teams, the same riders week after week, promoters manipulating the rules, slick tracks, long drawn out meetings, once you stop going you find other things to do and you don’t miss it.  I honestly wish Speedway all the very best it was a big part of my childhood, Wilko, Collins, Morton et al but I watch domestic speedway on tv and it’s a bit of a shambles at times - the whole format, presentation, structure needs a root and branch overhaul but the people running speedway don’t have the vision to deliver what is required.  Just to highlight my point, I used to watch Lancs as a kid at OT - County Cricket and the Gillette Cup - cricket has a reputation for being conservative and boring but compare speedway at Hyde Road in 1975 with the present product at the NSS and then compare a Gillette Cup game at OT in 1975 with a T20 game at OT now - it might have its critics but T20 has revolutionised cricket, brings people through the gates in droves and has engaged young people.  The average age at a speedway meeting is probably 60 - so the future is bleak, very bleak.  I wish you well but like many others I’m afraid ‘I’m out’.  The promoters need to look at a product like T20 at their AGM and find something similar to revolutionise the sport - it’s an ailing sport ( the list of tracks that have folded in the last 30 years is heartbreaking) and they need to act before it’s too late. 

10 hours ago, Dodger Blue said:

I think the first morning will be like a market with promoters, who are trying to sell their clubs, all standing behind suitcases having donned sheepskin coats and cloth caps shouting at the passing punters in broad cockney accents .... 'I'm not asking 20,000 I'm not even asking 10,000' etc etc!!B) 

Selling today only, for £10

Edited by A ORLOV

On 11/4/2018 at 4:15 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

SPECIAL pre-AGM edition of Speedway Star next week ... plenty of fans voicing their opinions about the way ahead for British speedway.

I fear it'll be a waste of paper and ink... You'd be better off extending the classifieds section... Club for sale, all offers considered

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Compare that with BT sport getting Speedway for supposedly peanuts

I can see nothing to suggest that anyone from the National League will be at the AGM. Until ALL involved with the sport are involved, how can any positive progress be made. (or should I just join the rest and keep my head in the sand and assume all is perfect).

1 hour ago, Gunner85 said:

Compare that with BT sport getting Speedway for supposedly peanuts

CANNOT compare British speedway with what takes place in Poland. We are lucky that BT have continued to provide a TV platform for speedway in this country. 

• Like 3

Poland. How and why did they become such a dominant force that now appear to dictate Speedway? What was the catalyst for such a rapid increase of supporters and numerous willing sponsors? Fall of communism, Gollob, Zloty, Investment, Promotion, Marketing???