British Speedway Forum
iainb

Best Race Suit Ever?

The late Nigel Sparshott's multi coloured triangle ones always stick in my memory

• Like 1

The one Chris Harris used for Poole has suddenly gone up in my estimations.

37 minutes ago, martinmauger said:

Off the top of my head (supposed to be working but hey it's Friday):  Ivan Mauger blue Circle Industries leathers & mostly white Exeter leathers with tassles,  Barry Briggs red with black & white sleeves, Joe Owen black white sleeves with checks on shoulders + blue & white Shepley Racing suit, Mike Curoso blue white K&N Products + red / blue suit, Scott Autrey ditto, Dennis Sigalos red / blue with stars, Kelly Moran mostly white with red / blue stripes & white stars, Graham Drury red / blue Roberts Racing he wore part 1976 before they were stolen (!), Shawn Moran black with red flames, Garry Stead blue / silver suit he wore in 2005 & 2006, Malcolm Simmons mostly white with Simmo on right leg, most of Bruce Penhall's suits, Kenny Carter Pharoah Racing red / blue suits he wore in 1981 & 82, Peter Collins red / green Castrol leathers, John Louis black with tiger stripes on sleeves, John Davis black suit Castrol in sliver with silver / chrome sleeves, Ole Olsen mostly black with orange sleeves silver stars down the arms + a blue & white suit,  Michael Lee blue suit with BAF on forearms + Poole Pirates suit, the Gulf / Weslake team suits (Lee, Kennet, PC, Louis, Simmons), most of Jason Crump suits, Erik Gundersen ditto, Tai Woffinden early black / orange suit.  Pause for breath.  I have good memory for design and favour the colour blue (really ?!) and like many modern kevvies but quite a few look similar with the barbed wire / razor wire design....

Some great memories there!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MARK246 said:

The late Nigel Sparshott's multi coloured triangle ones always stick in my memory

Remember those when he was a 'Cheetah'!

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 2:04 PM, BWitcher said:

Sudden Sam 91/92/93, Blue and Orange.

Bobby Ott wore white leathers as did Todd Wiltshire. Plenty more no doubt.

I bought Bobby his first set when he came over from the states. 

These are my favourites.....

2280970D-DB03-400C-9B80-5DDF11FFFE50.jpeg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Grachan said:

The one Chris Harris used for Poole has suddenly gone up in my estimations.

What a disloyal cretin he is.

3 hours ago, BWitcher said:

What a disloyal cretin he is.

I thought Poole were the Pirates, not the Cretins???

Steve

Chris & Geoff Pusey c1973 with their polka dot creations. Chris basically blue and Geoff red.

Also Peter Collins in his pastel coloured leathers (1974?)

Always thought Ivan's Red, White & Black leathers were rather good representing his Canterbury (NZ) upbringing but also were 'The Aces' colours by chance...he wore them for many years.

Robert Pfetzing's 'Five Flavours' variations.

Bert Harkins' tarten mustard set of leathers.

Reg Luckhurst's Golden Boots...before boots were covered over by leathers.

Edited by steve roberts

Remember Hans Nielsen at a pre-season practice session at Cowley wearing black leathers before his sponsor's logos were to be added. He later passed on a set to Oxford junior Phil Roberts who wore them for a couple of years before injury forced him to retire.

Halifax's Tom Godel wearing a pair of Dag Lovaas's leathers with the name Dag removed.

Ole Olsen's yellow and orange leathers (c1972) with the Wolves emblem incorporated within the design. His Danish leathers worn during the 1972 World Final.

Edited by steve roberts

Ivan Mauger's Circle Industries red, white, and blue were my favourites for years.

Hans Nielsen in all black with the white ECCO sponsor were cool too

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, stevehone said:

Ivan Mauger's Circle Industries red, white, and blue were my favourites for years.

I liked those Nielsen leathers too. As a fan of black, I thought Olsen had some great ones, particularly when he was sponsored by SodaStream.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Ray Wilson's yellow Bostik leathers...

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevehone said:

I remember painting all those sponsors logos on a Britain's Speedway Rider model to resemble Hans.

I seem to recall Preben Eriksen had a nice set of orange leathers... And an even better van :lol:

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1