British Speedway Forum
iainb

Best Race Suit Ever?

As I'm a little bored at work and just seen the SGP Facebook post asking who had the best Race Suit this season... Got me thinking about the most memorable I've seen. Steve Bastable sticks out for me when he had black and white checks, I always think pure white is particularly striking and quite rare, I can only remember Eric Riss this season and Andreas Jonsson a few years back. Wiggy green with his splats, Jan Staechmann

Sudden Sam 91/92/93, Blue and Orange.

Bobby Ott wore white leathers as did Todd Wiltshire. Plenty more no doubt.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Bobby Ott wore white leathers as did Todd Wiltshire. Plenty more no doubt.

So they did, as did Sudden Sam for his title win... I do think the Kevlars are so much more brighter and striking though

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

So they did, as did Sudden Sam for his title win... I do think the Kevlars are so much more brighter and striking though

Indeed he did. 

Although it’s blowing my own trumpet I thought my set I had in 2001 were ahead of their time and looked amazing :t:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Although it’s blowing my own trumpet I thought my set I had in 2001 were ahead of their time and looked amazing :t:

Photo?

Joe Screen and his zebra suit was memorable and the suit he had with arm tassels... I also remember Doug Wyer having arm tassels and was it the whole Mildenhall team or just I seem to remember Ray Bales?

• Like 1

This is the only pic I have of them, it doesn’t show the back,this was around when they started using other material, I have SF raceware a rough idea and he came up with these, many similar designs followed 

42813147-D043-4538-932C-4D65840901CF.jpeg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

This is the only pic I have of them, it doesn’t show the back,this was around when they started using other material, I have SF raceware a rough idea and he came up with these, many similar designs followed 

42813147-D043-4538-932C-4D65840901CF.jpeg

How did wearing the Union Flag go down in Wales? :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Just now, iainb said:

How did wearing the Union Flag go down in Wales? :rolleyes:

That’s something that never crossed my mind but I did get some real grief off 1 Carmarthen fan when I rode for England in a 4tt   Against Wales lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mickthemuppet said:

Ken Le BRETON --known as the white ghost

white leathers Ken Casper Cameron

Edited by miro

Ivan Mauger's green and white Exeter leathers took some beating.

The days of individual leathers where it was so much easier identifying the rider. Bert Harkins mentioned in his book that when team racing took off in the States fans found it difficult recognising their favourites after being used to watching them in their chosen race suits...and before anybody comments I am well aware why team suits were introduced although it's nothing new as various teams (Mildenhall, Leicester, King's Lynn, Oxford, Rye House, Swindon, Poole etc etc) did adopt team leathers way back during the sixties and seventies.

5 hours ago, iainb said:

Joe Screen and his zebra suit was memorable and the suit he had with arm tassels... I also remember Doug Wyer having arm tassels and was it the whole Mildenhall team or just I seem to remember Ray Bales?

...they were a feature of the team leathers adopted by Mildenhall if I recall. Bob Kilby also had a set one season.

• Like 1