British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waco

Lakeside v Workington frid 19th oct 8pm

9 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Yet another Rye House marathon tonight. It got very cold towards the end, and i don't blame the fans that left early.

Starting at 8.00 doesn’t help but certain clubs do seem to have regular late finishes.

Another long drawn out meeting on a cold night;..;Not a good race track, races all over by the second bend..,, Wth little lighting on the bends . it.detracts further from the poor atmosphere at Rye with what looked a low attendence.. i think the place has been ruined by those who took it over from Len Silver ....Workington came with a determination to do well ,and were sharp from the gate most of the time,,They also have a trump card in Mason Campton at reserve ....While you can never say its over ,,but the Hammers have a mountain to climb to win this on saturday.....You have to say Hammers do not look the same team that rode Lakeside so well ,,And the move could well have cost us some trophies this season.....

thats a nice post from cliv clav  . .. as you say , the result would have been very different had you been able to use the arena . 

hope it all works out for you and the comets as a speedway team carry on for at least another season .

• Like 1

I think lakeside need a shot in the arm as well. With no home track and no real future. Racing a full season at Rye next year could financially cripple the club. Poor racing and poor facilities has seen the fans vote with their feet. Last nights attendance for a national final on a lovely sunny day, was awful. 

• Like 1

I am yet to hear anyone say a single positive thing regarding the Rye House track and the standard of racing, is it really that bad? Every meeting I think I’ll make the journey then when it comes to the day I just can’t be bothered and reading all the negative comments Iam not sure I’ll bother next season either.

Edited by liam

It's ironic that the Arena Essex track got a lot of criticism regarding the quality of racing. Those of us that were regulars know that it was usually far better than it was ever given credit for. Alas, Rye House is a long way from being anywhere near as good as Arena was. It's a real gate and go affair. It's fast, yes, but passing moves are few and far between. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jenga said:

thats a nice post from cliv clav  . .. as you say , the result would have been very different had you been able to use the arena . 

hope it all works out for you and the comets as a speedway team carry on for at least another season .

Well said, we are both clubs that need some good fortune at this time.  The hardcore fans and promoters of our teams deserve some smooth sailing for a change, especially when they are true fans of the sport themselves

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I think lakeside need a shot in the arm as well. With no home track and no real future. Racing a full season at Rye next year could financially cripple the club. Poor racing and poor facilities has seen the fans vote with their feet. Last nights attendance for a national final on a lovely sunny day, was awful. 

Only Thurrock Council or Essex Council can give us the news we really need...... a new home for the Essex Hammers!

37 minutes ago, liam said:

I am yet to hear anyone say a single positive thing regarding the Rye House track and the standard of racing, is it really that bad? Every meeting I think I’ll make the journey then when it comes to the day I just can’t be bothered and reading all the negative comments Iam not sure I’ll bother next season either.

Always find out for yourself Liam, never go by others opinions.  Go along on Sunday and decide what you think.  After all, you never know when it will be your last opportunity to see a Hammers team in action.  Even if we aren't at home!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, liam said:

With the attendances at Rye House being so  low I  would be surprised if there is any speedway there next season under the Lakeside promotional banner.

15 minutes ago, New era Panthers said:

With the attendances at Rye House being so  low I  would be surprised if there is any speedway there next season under the Lakeside promotional banner.

Or any other banner. Rye would be better off running NL racing on a sunday afternoon. Local derbies against kent, Eastbourne and Mildenhall would pull a few fans in.

One other point about last night. I was really really cold and there were some pretty bad accidents which will naturally slow the meeting down, but in one heat the Workington management replaced Bickley with Campton (correct decision) but because Campton now had "2 on the trot" he was allowed about 15 minutes to get ready WHY? if he needs a break then don't choose to put him in the race. So what happens, it  is the mugs (supporters) who have to hang around getting colder. Tail wagging the dog, what in speedway I hear you ask.

As a neutral it looked like Workington wanted it more than Lakeside who for large parts of the meeting seems second best.

Oh and thanks to Lakeside fans for slagging off our stadium, out track, our lighting, our food, whilst it may not be great The Arena Essex Raceway was never confused with London Palladium. Get real guys I don't think you get it , sadly you are on the cusp of extinction as a club, so suck it up and rally around before its too late.

I don’t think the Comets have a good record at the Rye House track in the recent years. We did win the much derided Young Shield in it’s last 3 years, 2008-10, all against Rye House if my memory is right, one year in particular Comets Andre Compton rode well down there when we looked like getting hammered. Much derided or not the Young Shield was a National trophy to be won and there were great nights when we did win it. Hopefully we beat Lakeside tonight and no injuries to either side.

Edited by comet49

Arena Essex was a dump but it was our dump, how do you think we feel about having to ride at a dump that isn't even ours? life is too short to even consider that watching crap speedway rather than no speedway at all, is worth consideration, I would rather watch no speedway than be forced to only watch crap speedway.