British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waco

Lakeside v Workington frid 19th oct 8pm

38 minutes ago, Rayleigh said:

Oh and thanks to Lakeside fans for slagging off our stadium, out track, our lighting, our food, whilst it may not be great The Arena Essex Raceway was never confused with London Palladium. Get real guys I don't think you get it , sadly you are on the cusp of extinction as a club, so suck it up and rally around before its too late.

The riders interviewed have all said that there is only 1 line at Rye, and it is all down to the starts there.  Hammers fans have been used to seeing riders being able to come from behind from all over their wide home track and use inside and outside lines to produce good racing, even if they miss the starts.  This is just not possible at Rye.  Rockets fans have been slagging off the racing, stadium, etc at Rye for long enough and voting with feet.  Hammers fans are just finding out how bad it really is there. 

If the product is not entertaining and not an enjoyable enough experience to inspire people to pay the admission and travel all the way from Essex for, many will stop going.  The locals stopped going in the 90's and have stopped again in this decade.

We are trying to support the team and keep them alive until we get a new home.  Let's hope Cook can persuade the stadium owners to rip the track out over the winter and lay a new one.

• Like 2

Seen more dirt on the A1 on way back to Cumbria than at rye house, good win for understrength comets V full strength hammers, but can see it being close tonight due to comets injuries and knocks

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Neila said:

Poor crowd here 50/50 draw only £20 won by a comets fan, come on comets make my journey home nice and short

Can someone who goes to rye house / Lakeside confirm that the 20/20 draw normally only wins £20 or was it due to a comets fan winning you have another envelope to give to away fans, just asking ? As most other places 20/20 draw is £100-200 mark

• Like 1

It's normally £70 or more. Last night was a very low crowd and that was reflected in the lack of 50/50 ticket sales

1 hour ago, Cliv Clav said:

The riders interviewed have all said that there is only 1 line at Rye, and it is all down to the starts there.  Hammers fans have been used to seeing riders being able to come from behind from all over their wide home track and use inside and outside lines to produce good racing, even if they miss the starts.  This is just not possible at Rye.  Rockets fans have been slagging off the racing, stadium, etc at Rye for long enough and voting with feet.  Hammers fans are just finding out how bad it really is there. 

If the product is not entertaining and not an enjoyable enough experience to inspire people to pay the admission and travel all the way from Essex for, many will stop going.  The locals stopped going in the 90's and have stopped again in this decade.

We are trying to support the team and keep them alive until we get a new home.  Let's hope Cook can persuade the stadium owners to rip the track out over the winter and lay a new one.

Crowds were about 1500 to 2000 last year with about 550 for the end of the Silver era, the best I have seen there since the early 80s.

I see your plan, f@ck off the people you need to attend to save your club as there wernt enough Ammers last night to save your club.

1 hour ago, marko said:

Arena Essex was a dump but it was our dump, how do you think we feel about having to ride at a dump that isn't even ours? life is too short to even consider that watching crap speedway rather than no speedway at all, is worth consideration, I would rather watch no speedway than be forced to only watch crap speedway.

Oh I here sighs from fans of defunct teams all over the country, sadly your wish may come true if you are a reflection of the Ammers fans.

14 minutes ago, Rayleigh said:

Crowds were about 1500 to 2000 last year with about 550 for the end of the Silver era, the best I have seen there since the early 80s.

I see your plan, f@ck off the people you need to attend to save your club as there wernt enough Ammers last night to save your club.

My club, your club, both clubs are knackered. Rye only benefited last year, because they moved up when lakeside dropped down to the NL. This season things have returned to normal. Like you say, crowds were poor during the final years of the len silver era. Rye have no fan base, and lakeside have no track. I'm a neutral that attends both venues. Do i see a future for the Hammers at Rye, if I'm honest, i don't.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

My club, your club, both clubs are knackered. Rye only benefited last year, because they moved up when lakeside dropped down to the NL. This season things have returned to normal. Like you say, crowds were poor during the final years of the len silver era. Rye have no fan base, and lakeside have no track. I'm a neutral that attends both venues. Do i see a future for the Hammers at Rye, if I'm honest, i don't.

I agree with most of what you say although this years drop in attendances was also down to Fixed Race Nights and a different attitude from certain senior riders.

I only comment on Lakesides private grief as I have lost my club twice now (after 30 years of supporting the Rockets I held the club to account by not going in 1993, but after a few years of it being closed I realised my folly) you then come to realise how ever poorly the patient is, it is far better to keep it alive, even if it is in far from ideal health.

Edited by Rayleigh

5 minutes ago, Rayleigh said:

I agree with most of what you say although this years drop in attendances was also down to Fixed Race Nights and a different attitude from certain senior riders.

I only comment on Lakesides private grief as I have lost my club twice now (after 30 years of supporting the Rockets I held the club to account by not going in 1993, but after a few years of it being closed I realised my folly) you then come to realise how ever poorly the patient is, it is far better to keep it alive, even if it is in far from ideal health.

The problem is, keeping it alive costs a lot of money. That's why i feel a return to grass roots speedway for Rye, is the way forward, rather than let both clubs die.

Rye house could be good if the right people made the changes to the. track and other infrastructure there But the owners are novices at speedway and more interested in cars and other sports at the stadium..Hopefully it could still happen we need a track running in the area..

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, waco said:

Rye house could be good if the right people made the changes to the. track and other infrastructure there But the owners are novices at speedway and more interested in cars and other sports at the stadium..Hopefully it could still happen we need a track running in the area..

Prehaps you would like to pay for it or put together a consortium, oh its easy to just ask others to foot the bill.

Whilst I am no apologist for the current owners the place was allegedly condemned by H & S after the state Silver left it in.

Edited by Rayleigh

I would rather have the old Rye track complete with adverse camber on the second bend, at least there was passing with that one, I remember guys like Mark Courtney used to score quite a few points from riding the white line, he would be lost at the back there today.

• Like 2

The racing at Rye has definitely deteriorated since the track was altered. My main concern is the state of the stadium. Some of the toilets last night were filthy, with no lights or paper. The car park is hazardous with massive puddles and no lighting. It's only a matter of time before someone has an accident there. In my job, i work with Health & safety on a daily basis, and believe me, prevention is a lot less costly than the cure.

3 hours ago, Rayleigh said:

Crowds were inflated due to the Hammers running in the NL and the novelty factor of being in the top flight.  The top flight being poorly run certainly drives away a lot of fans though, which doesn't help.

My 'plan' is to go to events I find entertaining, whilst supporting my local team.  That's it.

People can voice their concerns and grievances, and no-one I have spoken to at the Rye meetings has enjoyed the racing.  Even members of the Hammers staff.  I, of course, haven't spoken to everyone there, but many on here seem to have thought the same.  So, if we make our feelings known, there is a chance the track could be changed for next year.  Which would benefit all involved.

• Like 1