British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waco

Lakeside v Workington frid 19th oct 8pm

38 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

The racing at Rye has definitely deteriorated since the track was altered. My main concern is the state of the stadium. Some of the toilets last night were filthy, with no lights or paper. The car park is hazardous with massive puddles and no lighting. It's only a matter of time before someone has an accident there. In my job, i work with Health & safety on a daily basis, and believe me, prevention is a lot less costly than the cure.

If you work in Health & Safety, don't you have a duty of care to report this unfit Stadium to the relative authorities? Surely this is better to prevent  an accident waiting to happen, rather than trying to cure it after the event. I stopped going to Rye last season for exactly the reasons you describe. The facilities(viewing, Toilets, Car Park etc) all made for an unenjoyable experience.

• Like 1

The Rye House Stadium is  a mess. A total hotch potch of viewing options, some better than others, Arena , by comparison, provided excellent viewing all round and with a well lit track and don't even start on the quality of racing. If the Hammers are serious about racing there next year, then major track changes are necessary or no one will bother to watch what is essentially a gating contest.

Edited by TonyE
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, rocket007 said:

If you work in Health & Safety, don't you have a duty of care to report this unfit Stadium to the relative authorities? Surely this is better to prevent  an accident waiting to happen, rather than trying to cure it after the event. I stopped going to Rye last season for exactly the reasons you describe. The facilities(viewing, Toilets, Car Park etc) all made for an unenjoyable experience.

I said i work with health and safety regs as part of my job. It's my responsibility to ensure my place of work complies with the rules. What goes on at Rye House stadium is nothing to do with me. That's down to the stadium owners to do what they think is right. 

10 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I said i work with health and safety regs as part of my job. It's my responsibility to ensure my place of work complies with the rules. What goes on at Rye House stadium is nothing to do with me. That's down to the stadium owners to do what they think is right. 

OK I accept that, but don't you think we all have a responsibility if we don't think things are safe.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rocket007 said:

OK I accept that, but don't you think we all have a responsibility if we don't think things are safe.

They must have a safety certificate, otherwise they wouldn't be able to run public events. The problem is, inspections are only annually. I'm not sure if they are more frequent at sporting venues.

H&S doesn’t exist in speedway like in the outside world it seems? The tunnel over the pits at Arena Essex should have been condemned years ago as it was never lit that I saw, and Old Bob of Herne Bay always used to joke the toilets were never lit.

lack of lighting and tripping hazards I expect exist at more than a few tracks too.

Might aswell move the club to Peterborough then if they close down, Peterborough hammers maybe lol. Don’t see the club surviving at Rye House, fans won’t keep travelling to watch poor meetings every week.

• Like 1

Seriously.......people perceive that Speedway Tracks operate within the regulations, restrictions, etc. imposed by local councils?

Do you truly believe that?

:D:D:D:D:rofl:

FFS!

9 hours ago, barraider said:

Piss poor run down stadium was great with a s##t small track

Wake up

Enough fans turned up at that piss poor run down stadium with a s##t small track for the club to keep running though.

• Like 3

The track may have been small, but it definitely wasn't s##t. The primary grumble Hammers fans are having regarding Rye House is that the standard of racing it allows is much poorer than what we had at the Arena. This does not mean we aren't grateful to still have a team. We are thankful of the help Rye House have given to us.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, barraider said:

Piss poor run down stadium was great with a s##t small track

Wake up

Lots of different lines at Arena meant lots of passing opportunities on a very wide track.  Get some DVDs and count the number of passes after the first corner against the number of passes you see at Rye.  Arena wins hands down.

At Rye you have to get to the outside line coming off turn 2 to win. 

Example from Friday night at Rye House:

Gate 4 won the first 7 heats!

Gate 3 won 5 of the next 7 heats!!

Only 2 wins off gate 1 or 2 all night!!!  And they were Morris and Lawson who were the best riders on show anyway.

Edited by Cliv Clav
  • Like 3