British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ReadingRacer2017

Doyle wants Somerset return but......

14 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Sweden going up to 9 teams in 2019 - but only 6 teams in their 2nd division (Allskvenskan league).

The more teams the better I’d say. However the 8 team format has worked fine for years in both Sweden and Poland.

Be interesting to see how the Swedish league does with 9. Odd that one team will always miss out on a Tuesday.

4 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

The more teams the better I’d say. However the 8 team format has worked fine for years in both Sweden and Poland.

Be interesting to see how the Swedish league does with 9. Odd that one team will always miss out on a Tuesday.

Agree.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

The league ran ok with 7 teams once before, I believe it was in 2016. Each club had a "week off " during the season.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 11:44 AM, MARK246 said:

The league ran ok with 7 teams once before, I believe it was in 2016. Each club had a "week off " during the season.

Cant have many more weeks off than we do  now.

On 10/22/2018 at 10:42 AM, stevebrum said:

Looks like the Swedes are going for Tuesdays and Thursdays for some Elitserien fixtures!!!

On 10/26/2018 at 7:03 PM, Skidder1 said:

Looks like the Swedes are going for Tuesdays and Thursdays for some Elitserien fixtures!!!

Yes I saw that! We should have protected Monday’s and Thursdays this year when we had the chance!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Yes I saw that! We should have protected Monday’s and Thursdays this year when we had the chance!

Definitely. And if the UK is not using Thursdays, then Sweden have a good case for claiming it, leaving us with just one priority night.

We need to step up and set Thursday as a race night before it is too late. But, of course, we won't.

16 minutes ago, Fred Flange said:

If Sweden are having one of our fim allocated nights I'm surprised they didn't go for Monday? Besides it being one of the better nights for speedway (lol!) it also give them racing on consecutive nights which would make far more sense logistically.

Sweden - Monday & Tuesday
Denmark - Wednesday
UK - Thursday
Poland - Friday, Saturday & Sunday

Everyone is happy 

Except that the UK, despite having Thursdays, don't use them so it would leave us with absolutely nothing.

The UK are using Mondays though, so I guess Sweden can't fairly have a claim on it.

If Sweden do get Thursdays, it's just more proof of what a major cock-up last year was by going for Wednesdays. The UK need to jump in and set Thursday as it's race-night NOW - or they will lose it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fred Flange said:

We did use Thursday though, maybe not as the fim intended but it was used. I wouldn't be surprised if we used Thursday nearly as many times as Poland used Friday?

It still makes a lot more sense to use consecutive nights.

We didn't use Thursdays as a fixed race  night, and they know it. So they will have no reason not to allow Sweden to have priority on that night, as far as I can see.

Not sure about consecutive nights. Suppose a team has 2 matches in a week, it's probably better to space them out a bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fred Flange said:

If Sweden are having one of our fim allocated nights I'm surprised they didn't go for Monday? Besides it being one of the better nights for speedway (lol!) it also give them racing on consecutive nights which would make far more sense logistically.

Sweden - Monday & Tuesday
Denmark - Wednesday
UK - Thursday
Poland - Friday, Saturday & Sunday

Everyone is happy 

Everyone except Championship clubs!!!!

If Poland only use a few Fridays you would think that with a well thought out fixture list (for once) clubs could avoid any Fridays when their riders are involved in a meeting in Poland.I am sure my club Belle vue would love to go back to Fridays.A big ask but with a little cooperation from Poland to stick to Fridays that are on the fixture list at the start of the season and I think this could be possible.

You would think that it is in Polands own interest to keep speedway running in Britain as over the years we have produced/helped bring on a lot of quality riders who now grace the Polish leagues without us a good few of these riders could never have been given the chance/meetings needed to improve to the level they have.

Same with Sweden there are not that many meetings run in Sweden only 1 home and 1 away meeting shared between Tue and Thur with good fixture planning I would think these fixtures could be avoided.It just needs a lot of though and countries for once to work together(ie any Thurs rain off rearrange for a Tuesday) like a professional sport.

Otherwise we have no bloody days left to run speedway other than Mondays if this is the case I m o speedway here is as good as over.

Edited by B.V 72
  • Thanks 1