British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2019

Dropping down a league would only, I think, upset the minority of Lions supporters. With so many riders doubling up in the GB leagues, only a handful of current top tier league riders would be missed. As good as some of them are (GP level), most people are not interested in races won by half a lap margins. In its most popular (team) format, speedway is about close, competitive racing. Most of us would pay to watch that over individual rider ability.

How I long for the glory days of just a few years ago when we had the same 1-7 riders for weeks on end and nearly (once) got close to a mid table finish in the second tier of the sport. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Liontamer said:

I really hope they do drop down, premier league my arse. 

Me too. 

8 hours ago, Teromaafan said:

How I long for the glory days of just a few years ago when we had the same 1-7 riders for weeks on end and nearly (once) got close to a mid table finish in the second tier of the sport. 

It can still be done... Look at how many riders Swindon used this season and they finished mid table

21 hours ago, magnificentseven said:

Rumour I heard from a source that would know is that Leicester want to drop down next year.

Any club with real ambition should strive to compete & be successful at the highest level rather than opt out because it’s tough to do so. This is especially the case  for a team like Leicester who would benefit from success with increased attendances due to the large catchment area. 

• Like 4

The new team manager stated "I would like to usher in a golden era of success to the club". Dropping down to the second tier would be a strange way to start this golden era.

It’s interesting to read other Leicester fans comments about the possibility of dropping down to the Championship.

The question I would like to ask would you still support the club and a move down a league if the Championship was at a lower level than what it is now. For example no Nick Morris,Danny King,Craig Cook,Ricky Wells,Scott Nicholls,Rory Schlien etc but instead riders like MPT,Ben Barker,Aaron Summers,Charles Wright are your number ones with National League standard riders like Connor Mountain,Tom Brennan,Jordan Jenkins being at reserve and no2 in the team ?

27 minutes ago, flagrag said:

It’s interesting to read other Leicester fans comments about the possibility of dropping down to the Championship.

The question I would like to ask would you still support the club and a move down a league if the Championship was at a lower level than what it is now. For example no Nick Morris,Danny King,Craig Cook,Ricky Wells,Scott Nicholls,Rory Schlien etc but instead riders like MPT,Ben Barker,Aaron Summers,Charles Wright are your number ones with National League standard riders like Connor Mountain,Tom Brennan,Jordan Jenkins being at reserve and no2 in the team ?

Hopefully it will not drop low enough to not have those riders, if it does then it will be the end of the sport unless the entry price is about £10.

I can see the likes of J Doyle and R Lambert not riding here due to an average that is too high and I would also think reduced points money, but most of the rest yes.  

That's a difficult question. Whilst I have been supporting the Lions and NL Coventry this season I think if the standard dropped that low a lot of fans wouldn't bother and certainly wouldn't be willing to pay £17 or £18.  I would prefer the Championship League purely because there are more teams so a bigger variety but it would be a shame if the riders you mention are no longer in it.....apart from Rory Schlein. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flagrag said:

I just want to see a genuine team of ambitious riders who are committed to the team, trying to win, with a full team turning out every week barring injuries, i.e. not guests and R/R every meeting. If we're asked to watch a league at a level below the current Championship, it would need to cost less to get in.

• Like 1

I thought Leicester are looking at introducing a National League level team as well as their 'senior' team.

Yes I would certainly support a championship level team. I get fed up with seeing the same teams week after week. I supported the lions home & away in the second division, but haven't bothered since they went up a league. I find it really hard to get enthusiastic about home meetings these days when it's Poole, Kings Lynn, Swindon etc etc every other bloody week ( that's when we aren't on a three week break from racing).

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Liontamer said:

Yes I would certainly support a championship level team. I get fed up with seeing the same teams week after week. I supported the lions home & away in the second division, but haven't bothered since they went up a league. I find it really hard to get enthusiastic about home meetings these days when it's Poole, Kings Lynn, Swindon etc etc every other bloody week ( that's when we aren't on a three week break from racing).

Some teams in both leagues may not continue next season so wouldn't it be better to join the rest into just the one league and create the variety you desire.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Liontamer said:

I feel the same and would rather see a slightly lower level of riders but with many more teams that only race once a season home and away rather than the same team and guests week in week out, and racing every one or two weeks without long gaps. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A ORLOV said:

I feel the same and would rather see a slightly lower level of riders but with many more teams that only race once a season home and away rather than the same team and guests week in week out, and racing every one or two weeks without long gaps. 

Exactly

2 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

Great days when Swindon dropped down previously - lots of different teams and continuity of fixtures :t:

• Like 2