British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2019

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:58 PM, Gemini said:

Me too. 

Let's hope they all drop down. Like a clown's trousers

If the Lions do capitulate & drop down a division then besides Connor Mountain they will need to find 6 new riders because all others were either doubling up or as in the case of Hans not likely to be available to ride in the lower league

Hopefully we will see an enlarged top flight including the Lions in 2019

Hans will probably be returning to Poole anyway? :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Gemini said:

Hans will probably be returning to Poole anyway? :unsure:

Why?

I thought all riders loved Poole? He probably can't wait to get back if his average fits. :lol:

On 10/27/2018 at 10:51 AM, Steve0 said:

Great days when Swindon dropped down previously - lots of different teams and continuity of fixtures :t:

Was that pre DU though?

19 hours ago, 1 valve said:

If the Lions do capitulate & drop down a division then besides Connor Mountain they will need to find 6 new riders because all others were either doubling up or as in the case of Hans not likely to be available to ride in the lower league

Hopefully we will see an enlarged top flight including the Lions in 2019

I think that any speculation which involves "dropping down" or "staying put but in a bigger league" is likely to be pretty much irrelevant until after the promoters have made their announcements about the form and shape of the leagues, for example "drop down" may in fact take the form of going into what is approximately the current National League. We just don't know, unless some promoter leaks something out.

What I hope that Leicester has realized, and it looks to be the case, that the club needs to build some better foundations. Among the many reasons the years in the Elite/Premier league have been such a struggle so far, is the move was made too soon and the club had just about zero in the way of its own riders, either assets or long-term associations. Kauko Nieminen and Magnus Karlsson, whilst commendable riders at second tier level whilst the Lions were there, were never going to be longer-term investments especially with the club deciding the change leagues when it did. They managed to pull off the coup of signing Doyle at the right time, and he could have been the major foundation to build upon, but that all went up s**t creek due to bad management.

So whether it's better to build properly in lower or upper league (if indeed there is a choice), that's something the management has to decide. It's informative that Kings Lynn and Somerset, two clubs which spent sufficient time in the lower league building their foundations, have done OK in the higher league. Contrast that with Leicester and Rye House. Birmingham did have some of what was needed, but I think in their case it was very poor management by the owners that was their undoing. 

2 hours ago, Gemini said:

I thought all riders loved Poole? He probably can't wait to get back if his average fits. :lol:

You're right, for once we can say a rider does actually love Poole! 

On 10/23/2018 at 11:10 AM, Gemini said:

Shame we no longer do the Annual Forum Awards or you'd be a cert for the Victor Meldrew one.  :D

Gemini, looks like your wish has been granted... Vote for me!

• Haha 1

I should just like to congratulate Roger Webster on winning The Leicester Lions 2018 Speedway Fantasy League Competition. 

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Gemini, looks like your wish has been granted... Vote for me!

What a shame it's just riders. :D Up until a few years ago we always had  Annual Forum Member Awards in the close season with various categories.

• Like 1

I don't really mind which league we are in, but I would prefer a return to Saturday night racing.

I'm not sure  the AGM will necessarily be the final say on league structures, points limits etc. We will still be waiting for the government's policy on EU nationals being able to work over here post Brexit. Work permits/ visas could be required in which case it's likely there will be fewer Swedes/Danes etc riding here. This in itself means a watering down of the league.

On a separate note have the club said anything about 2018 season ticket holders receiving  a credit on  2019 season tickets due to losing the second Rye House fixture? 

So we think the Lions mangement has plans already for winter signings? I would be happy to see Wells back & NBJ signed 

LionsMan66- Plans are well advanced for 2019 just need the official confirmation from AGM on League structure and limits then final bits of jigsaw can be finished. 

One of the first priorities will be confirming the clubs number 1 and they can then build around that 

Edited by flagrag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2018 at 2:04 PM, LionsFan said:

I don't really mind which league we are in, but I would prefer a return to Saturday night racing.

I'm not sure  the AGM will necessarily be the final say on league structures, points limits etc. We will still be waiting for the government's policy on EU nationals being able to work over here post Brexit. Work permits/ visas could be required in which case it's likely there will be fewer Swedes/Danes etc riding here. This in itself means a watering down of the league.

On a separate note have the club said anything about 2018 season ticket holders receiving  a credit on  2019 season tickets due to losing the second Rye House fixture? 

I'd imagine that will be forgotten about & swept under the carpet, like it has in past seasons ( mostly by the previous management I must add) eg. the year Birmingham folded mid-season 2 matches were missed, the debacle of the Kings Lynn meeting 2 seasons ago that was never ridden & there's probably more examples, season ticket holders have never been credited anything the following season.