British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2019

23 minutes ago, flagrag said:

I said a couple of weeks ago that the decision that Leicester have made would please some fans with Saturday night racing and dropping to a weakened Championship 

It will be interesting to see what the crowds are like on Saturdays in the 2nd division as part of the reason Mr Hemsley took the club up was falling crowds on Saturday night and also rider availability 

The club needs success. Even at this relatively low level we’re now at. If we start losing home meetings in this league the crowds will be very low I fear.

Really hoping for once the luck is with us next year and we find a winning formula.

9 hours ago, flagrag said:

I said a couple of weeks ago that the decision that Leicester have made would please some fans with Saturday night racing and dropping to a weakened Championship 

Yes, well done you Mystic flagrag, you're brilliant, that's exactly what you said "Saturday night racing and dropping to a weakened Championship"... Just remind me again exactly where you said this... Mystic Meg eat your heart out.

What's the next post? "If what I'm hearing is correct some Lions fans are going to love the signing of the new Number 1 and they'll be surprised who's coming in at reserve?" As Venus enters Uranus

Edited by iainb
  • Haha 1

On 10/26/2018 at 4:42 PM, flagrag said:

It’s interesting to read other Leicester fans comments about the possibility of dropping down to the Championship.

The question I would like to ask would you still support the club and a move down a league if the Championship was at a lower level than what it is now. For example no Nick Morris,Danny King,Craig Cook,Ricky Wells,Scott Nicholls,Rory Schlien etc but instead riders like MPT,Ben Barker,Aaron Summers,Charles Wright are your number ones with National League standard riders like Connor Mountain,Tom Brennan,Jordan Jenkins being at reserve and no2 in the team ?

the crowd will increase IMHO ,  loads walked away when the Lions set off on Hemsleys EGO trip ,  and some of them will return ,with regular racing , different teams and competitions .and a much better chance of success ,most Lions fans should be looking forward to next season ,

• Like 2

13 hours ago, flagrag said:

It will be interesting to see what the crowds are like on Saturdays in the 2nd division as part of the reason Mr Hemsley took the club up was falling crowds on Saturday night and also rider availability 

looking back. attendance dropped over time from extremely high numbers mainly to poor results and lack of real racing/entertainment - The new input of fans by and large gradually dropped away leaving the hard core (elder) speedway fan as the true supporter. Just taking a look (as I did) at the attendees and gauging their age last season would confirm this point.

Since the Lions first moved from Saturdays, the track has been improved by the shortening of the straights and the introduction of banking on what are now deeper corners. This demonstratively gave the top racers more to go at around Beaumont Park & passing finally made an appearance. The team also had some mid season success at home in 2018 and the crowds helped by good weather grew and remained fairly consistent even when the run of results turned negative and the Lions were on receipt of some pretty big thumping's on their own track  

Now for 2019 the top boys have disappeared. The track still remains a tactical track i.e. not easy to ride meaning that as  witnessed from National League racing and lower average premier league riders we will can expect to see a disappearance of passing (unless the bloke in front makes a mistake and does a wobbly) and more delays & longer meetings  caused by riders falling off. One only as to go back to the last time the Lions were in Division two to confirm the latter.

So yes, Lions could be more successful at home (to be seen but not hard to imagine v last 2 years) but "no" the entertainment will not improve, unless you call  4 riders being unable to control bikes for four laps entertaining....as for Saturday nights, well people have more things to choose from on Saturdays than Mondays so overall - not likely that crowds will improve greatly...but at least for the promoters it will be cheaper to run and hence a lower target for breakeven/profit.

Edited by 1 valve

12 hours ago, flagrag said:

On a point of order you actually said:

"Plans are well into place for 2019 which will please some fans but maybe not all will like the changes the club will be bringing" - there was no mention of dropping down or changing to Saturday.

Your "Prediction" could have also run true with " staying in top flight, racing on Mondays Jason Doyle at number One and admission £25 for adults and no concessions.

just saying

Edited by 1 valve
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, 1 valve said:

looking back. attendance dropped over time from extremely high numbers mainly to poor results and lack of real racing/entertainment - The new input of fans by and large gradually dropped away leaving the hard core (elder) speedway fan as the true supporter. Just taking a look (as I did) at the attendees and gauging their age last season would confirm this point.

Since the Lions first moved from Saturdays, the track has been improved by the shortening of the straights and the introduction of banking on what are now deeper corners. This demonstratively gave the top racers more to go at around Beaumont Park & passing finally made an appearance. The team also had some mid season success at home in 2018 and the crowds helped by good weather grew and remained fairly consistent even when the run of results turned negative and the Lions were on receipt of some pretty big thumping's on their own track  

Now for 2019 the top boys have disappeared. The track still remains a tactical track i.e. not easy to ride meaning that as  witnessed from National League racing and lower average premier league riders we will can expect to see a disappearance of passing (unless the bloke in front makes a mistake and does a wobbly) and more delays & longer meetings  caused by riders falling off. One only as to go back to the last time the Lions were in Division two to confirm the latter.

So yes, Lions could be more successful at home (to be seen but not hard to imagine v last 2 years) but "no" the entertainment will not improve, unless you call  4 riders being unable to control bikes for four laps entertaining....as for Saturday nights, well people have more things to choose from on Saturdays than Mondays so overall - not likely that crowds will improve greatly...but at least for the promoters it will be cheaper to run and hence a lower target for breakeven/profit.

Extremely disappointed to see a city of our size choose to drop down to a lower league. Very unlucky at the start of last year with injuries when many thought that they had a solid side. Others would comment that is the nature of the sport... Agree with commentary need a good start always said if start winning and see close racing then the crowds will start to return sad thing is unless there is ever major surgery to the track this shall always be limited. The comments of Saturdays to get crowds in and young kids always makes me smile I'm fortunate to have a season ticket at the city in the family stand never seems to be an issue with kids on night games. Start racing 7.30 be completed by 9pm should really not be a big issue once a fortnight surely. Be interested in the admission charges next year anyone got any inside info....hears hoping to a successful season FOR ONCE..;).

Surely they can’t charge more than say..£15 max?

On 11/14/2018 at 6:36 PM, 1 valve said:

Well I guess the promoters have their reasons for opting to join a watered down version of league racing - i.e. 38 point team limit designed to help make the 42.5 top flight teams look stronger and help the club survive on lower costs because they don't have the skill and knowledge on how to invest and PROMOTE the sport in a City the size of Leicester.

And they have the audacity to call themselves "PROMOTERS" ?

Pathetic!

Completely hit the nail on the head top post. 

On 11/14/2018 at 6:36 PM, 1 valve said:

Well I guess the promoters have their reasons for opting to join a watered down version of league racing - i.e. 38 point team limit designed to help make the 42.5 top flight teams look stronger and help the club survive on lower costs because they don't have the skill and knowledge on how to invest and PROMOTE the sport in a City the size of Leicester.

And they have the audacity to call themselves "PROMOTERS" ?

Pathetic!

Wish you would have said this earlier  before they dropped down ,you obviously know more about running a succesful team and making a profit than Damian Bates , there's absolutely no doubt if you had offered to cover the losses with YOUR money , Leicester would still be in the top League , as it is ,unfortunately bates seems to think therers a better chance of keeping speedway running at leicester ,with HIS money in a lower league , 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mr Bump said:

Surely they can’t charge more than say..£15 max?

Last year the owner of Sheffield charged £16.00 for adults & £13 for concessions as the same owner at Leicester charged £17.00 & £14 respectively your thoughts of £15.00 max seems a forlorn hope.

7 minutes ago, adonis said:

Wish you would have said this earlier  before they dropped down ,you obviously know more about running a succesful team and making a profit than Damian Bates , there's absolutely no doubt if you had offered to cover the losses with YOUR money , Leicester would still be in the top League , as it is ,unfortunately bates seems to think therers a better chance of keeping speedway running at leicester ,with HIS money in a lower league , 

Not sure how you think I could have known and thus said anything about the decision any sooner. Because DB wanted to wait until after the AGM before deciding on which leagues his two clubs would take part. Then BAM job done. Also, not much point in running any type of business at a loss is there? hence DB and his team of promoters see Leicester in Division two as a way of making profit.  Just a shame they couldn't work out how to promote the sport in the top flight and make profit you know, like good promoters do. Or is that owners?

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 10:09 AM, 1 valve said:

Not sure how you think I could have known and thus said anything about the decision any sooner. Because DB wanted to wait until after the AGM before deciding on which leagues his two clubs would take part. Then BAM job done. Also, not much point in running any type of business at a loss is there? hence DB and his team of promoters see Leicester in Division two as a way of making profit.  Just a shame they couldn't work out how to promote the sport in the top flight and make profit you know, like good promoters do. Or is that owners?

Don’t disagree with your sentiment there at all. With all that’s seemingly going on in British speedway at the moment can any promoter make a profit in the top division?

4 hours ago, Mr Bump said:

Don’t disagree with your sentiment there at all. With all that’s seemingly going on in British speedway at the moment can any promoter make a profit in the top division?

All businesses run properly should be able to make a profit. However it takes a degree of effort to try and maximize whatever potential there is and I think that therein lies a massive problem, certainly with Leicester.  

There lacks a coherent and ongoing strategy to promotion, the result of which we can all speculate on in relation to revenue and potential but in reality we just don't know what it is. Could or would greater promotion lead to greater crowd, sponsors, revenue? 

IMO the answer is obvious and it's easy yo say but there must be a reason why no one tries.

I would say that you can count on one hand the number of rider interviews have been on local radio In the last 8 years. DH used to be on every so often, sometimes weekly for 5 minutes or so but generally there is very little local coverage.

I live within 4 miles and in that 8 years my son has been to local 3 schools, all of which are by definition house the perfect target audience to aim at age wise and location wise. Either once or twice only in that 8 years those schools have been visited neither of which were at secondary school level, the stage before being a paying adult. It may only have been once i can't recall but that first time my son came home wanting to go to the speedway. 

There is a shopping centre next to the speedway and I don't recall ever going there on a weekend and seeing any advert that speedway exists let alone a "this weekend speedway is on....". The footfall at the shopping centre of adults and families is significant. 1% interest would be huge. 

I played cricket for a local team. Another summer sport and another catchment of families and importantly people interested in local sport. Not once that I'm aware of has there been any effort to contact the club to put basic posters up, offer packages or generally make speedway known. I'd be surprised if that was not the case for all local sporting clubs.

Does this effort replicate the effort towards potential sponsors?

How much local engagement has there really been? I'd say very little.

It seems to be that promoting only involves telling those that are there to spread the word or by using social media only. 

Very few meetings have been singularly promoted over the 8 years that I can remember.  One that was was a televised meeting against Swindon and they had to delay the start due to crowds.  That was advertised over a couple of weeks with reduced tickets, food vouchers, free air horns and it was a huge success. It was a sustained and directed promotion. 

Can a promoter make a profit? I'd say they could but it's easy for me to say from the outside looking in.

Making a profit and publicly admitting to it are two very different things - unless you are trying to sell the club!

• Haha 2