British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cityrebel

Eastbourne v Mildenhall 21/10/18 Play Off Final

Why couldn't the league match be run tonight, and the final next Friday. Mildenhall might have had more choice of guests.

22 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Why couldn't the league match be run tonight, and the final next Friday. Mildenhall might have had more choice of guests.

I think it is because Eastbourne had the 2nd leg of the cup at home so Mildenhall get the second leg of the Play off at home.  The 2nd leg is always more interesting and likely to pull a better crowd. We had a similar situation a couple of years ago with Birmingham and that was how they worked it then.  On that occasion Eastbourne had the 2nd leg in the Cup and won it so the presentation was in front of there own fans  and Vica versa Birmingham had the presentation as champions in front of their fans. 

If that's an omen then Mildenhall will win the League title at West Row on Thursday. 

Injuries have really taken their toll at the wrong time for Mildenhall and the current form team are very likely to benefit from it. 

Would be a shame if The Tigers only ended the season with the National trophy under their belt but rules are rules whether people think its right or wrong. 

Personally I think that we all know who the National league team of the year really is !!! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Kelsey Dugard !!!!  He will be under family orders not to score a point .

There will not be any "boxing" as long as the ref doesn't give any decisions against the Eagles.

Kelsey is quite capable of  scoring 0 without family orders! But if  there were any unlikely to listnen as he's been sacked more than once by his brother.

• Like 2

It probably has a simple answer but why are Mildenhall not racing the final on Sunday or failing that Friday or Saturday. Thursday seems an odd day and will deprive them of some extra footfall that may have been willing to turn out when no work the following day. Whatever happens Mildenhall have had a cracking season and the trophy really does belong to them and not decided in a lottery meeting.

I still think Mildy are capable of pulling it back & wouldn't begrudge them if they did.

Some won't believe it - but there was some cracking racing tonight.

Thursday should be a belter.

2 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

It probably has a simple answer but why are Mildenhall not racing the final on Sunday or failing that Friday or Saturday. Thursday seems an odd day and will deprive them of some extra footfall that may have been willing to turn out when no work the following day. Whatever happens Mildenhall have had a cracking season and the trophy really does belong to them and not decided in a lottery meeting.

The stadium is being used on the weekend for a music festival. 

1 hour ago, woofers said:

Some interesting comments on Speedway updates.

Looks like the excitement got to the texter,  that fantastic double pass in heat 13 was not on lap 3 but bend 3 on lap one.

Amazing times from Georgie Wood, I never imagined that anyone would get near Adam Ellis' NL Track Record ( He missed it by1/ 10th of a second) but this last few meetings have shown what great condition the track is in.  Extra shale which gives an outside line as good as the inside has meant some superb passing for anyone prepared to ride the fence and made for some great racing.  I remember too well the slick track of the Elite League and coming away recalling that there was only one pass in any position all evening . Former fans who will not watch NL don't know what they are missing. 

I still think Mildenhall will emerge victorious because I am convinced that they will get Max Clegg in for Danny Ayres.  Clegg had a bad early season and dropped nearly 2 points from his average but is now back at his best .  The Eastbourne 'tail' is poor at West Row and will probably be without Spiller as it is midweek so they will be totally dependent on the three heat leaders.    I have no doubt they will try hard but they will have to overcome the tendency to start slowly. In the first four races last night the tigers were racing out of the gate with some ease except against Mark Baseby who gated well. If the same thing happens on Thursday the game will be up to all intent and purpose by Heat 10.

24 minutes ago, Hunters said:

Looks like the excitement got to the texter,  that fantastic double pass in heat 13 was not on lap 3 but bend 3 on lap one.

Texter Steven always gives a good and usually accurate account of the racing and goings on at Arlington.

The other messages regarding rider availability are worth a read. 

How about the bizarre refereeing decisions the last 2 home meetings?

1 gets awarded after 1st bend of the 2nd lap when it should've been re-run &

another gets re-run after 3rd bend of 3rd lap, leaving just 2 home riders when it should've been awarded.

(Most of the crowd thought that one in particular was a complete farce).

Thankfully there was a high standard of racing & overtakes last night.

Still think the one last week was entering the 1st bend of the 3rd lap and was therefore correct.

Dugard fell on the 3rd bend of the 2nd lap (as reported on updates and the Eagles website) and therefore under the rules the race can't be awarded. Agree, that seems a bit daft and farcical but how many fans were thinking, "don't do anything daft", "hope there's not an engine failure" as Baseby and Spiller rode round. If it had been awarded, Mildenhall would have been within their rights to protest. On reflection, all Dugard needed to do was stay on and guarantee a point - he didn't.

Dugard fell on lap 2 but the race had entered lap 3 by the time the reds had come on. 

I had worked out who the ref was without looking after about 4 heats, as Mr Allen always insists on the announcer announcing how long is left of the 2 mins even when everyone is sat at the tapes gardening. .

i see a few others on here thinking the eagles are still up against it , i was beginning to feel a bit on my own  . 19 seems a big lead everywhere but west row , i was hoping for 25. i wondered with danny just failing a fitness test would the 3 extra days make a difference to him being back , same with sam who still wasn't 100% right . won't be there so just wish both sides the best of luck , no more injuries , and if the eagles win i'll be doing a little dance but i will feel for the fen tigers . if they do claw it back it will just add to the story and i will doff my cap to the best side i think i've ever seen in the 3rd tier . 

Edited by gee jay