British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Greener21

Kevlars

I like the individuality. Bibs is enough in my oppinion. Love Erik Riss with his white ones. So easily recognisable. There are FORS and against. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FigRoll said:

Can you remember the stage some riders went through where they had tazzles on the arms 

I believe Doug Wyer of Sheffield was the first rider to wear tassels when someone bought him a set of tasseled leathers to wear at the 1976 World Final at Silesian Stadium in Poland. I seem to recall reading somewhere that he was always embarrassed by the fancy tassels.

3 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

I believe Doug Wyer of Sheffield was the first rider to wear tassels when someone bought him a set of tasseled leathers to wear at the 1976 World Final at Silesian Stadium in Poland. I seem to recall reading somewhere that he was always embarrassed by the fancy tassels.

…. And HERE he is wearing 'em

7 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

I remember Mel Taylor had tassels. 

As did all his Mildenhall team mates. 

I'm a fan of individual leathers..as a kid that was a highlight for me , picking out and knowing riders by their own leathers and colours....team Kevlars kook smart for sure but it all looks a bit bland with all the riders looking the same...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trotter65 said:

I'm a fan of individual leathers..as a kid that was a highlight for me , picking out and knowing riders by their own leathers and colours....team Kevlars kook smart for sure but it all looks a bit bland with all the riders looking the same...

Even if the were the colours of the team , woryna really looked out of place in red  kevlars with a

blue Poole bib

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Greener21 said:

Even if the were the colours of the team , woryna really looked out of place in red  kevlars with a

blue Poole bib

Agree. The rest looked ok.

I`ve grown to like team kevlars but they 100% make recognising riders instantly harder especially when you aren't using a programme. 

Years ago some riders certainly had leathers made to blend with their team, promoters have to do what they can afford... 

Teams that use bibs make all the guests that get used look the same as the rest of the team...

Having four guest riders in bibs and three of their own riders in club kevlars looks ridiculous..

Even more so when guests use their own clubs kevlars under the bib...!:D

There's a thread in general discussions about this... With some great memories... And as yet, no arguments!

• Haha 1

is someone going to make kevlar suits then ?  they will be better than the polyester ones currently  in use , they will be a sod to decorate ,but that will be far outweighed by the protection Kevlar will offer

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:47 AM, A ORLOV said:

Steve Gresham at Swindon had those all down his arms.

The last time he visited Swindon for a testimonial he even had rabbit ears stuck on his helmet, that was funny.

Wasn't that Shawn McConnell?

• Like 1

I like the team kevlars. I think they look professional and make it look like two teams.

However, it was easy to pick out, for example, Woryna when Poole were riding so I think there are real advantages to race jackets too.

So, either is fine. Definitely, though, it is easier to identify riders if they are not all wearing team suits.

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

Wasn't that Shawn McConnell?

May well have been, in which case my error.

4 hours ago, mikebv said:

Teams that use bibs make all the guests that get used look the same as the rest of the team...

Having four guest riders in bibs and three of their own riders in club kevlars looks ridiculous..

Even more so when guests use their own clubs kevlars under the bib...!:D

I think that team suits look much more professional but there is the problem of guests and when riders are replaced and not provided with a team suit. I agree it looks a mess when guests wear bibs but not really that much more so than 7 riders in their own kevlars and bibs. Belle Vue and other teams provide guests with a team shirt rather than a bib and that is less obvious and makes the whole team look more uniform