British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Billymeatus

Why win the league ?

Would the leagues  be more competitive if we took away the "as long as we get to the play offs "mentality ?.And winning the league  meant something as now means nothing, as in  most sports you win the league and prove over a season  you are worthy champions.Wonder how Stephen Lambert feels rides for two teams who finish top  of their leagues and wins nothing !.There are cup and shield competitions ,fours ,pairs and riders championships.So no shortage of other competitions to generate income.

• Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:37 PM, Billymeatus said:

Would the leagues  be more competitive if we took away the "as long as we get to the play offs "mentality ?.And winning the league  meant something as now means nothing, as in  most sports you win the league and prove over a season  you are worthy champions.Wonder how Stephen Lambert feels rides for two teams who finish top  of their leagues and wins nothing !.There are cup and shield competitions ,fours ,pairs and riders championships.So no shortage of other competitions to generate income.

whos Stephen lambert ride for then 

we all knew the setup before the start off season and it gets boring every year at end of season when people moan about it 

I actually agree top off league should be champs 

but that's another issue 

• Like 1

A more than familiar comment when a team finishing top does not go on to win or even make the final.

if Peterborough had to race the league match at Arena rather than Rye House, then they would most certainly not have got four points and if Workington had managed to get all their home meetings in on time etc - it may well have been Worky top of the table.

'If' - little word, large implications!

• Like 3

Being top of the league gives you the added bonus of selecting, the team that 'you feel' will give you the easiest route to the next stage,,, doesn't always pan out like that tho.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

Being top of the league gives you the added bonus of selecting, the team that 'you feel' will give you the easiest route to the next stage,,, doesn't always pan out like that tho.

I did warn them :) 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Taylorj said:

I did warn them :) 

We knew there would be no easy route regardless of which team we selected to ride against with the  amount of injured riders and very little in the way of guests available as the season draws to a close. Good luck with your quest for the 3 trophies up for grabs I think with a bit of luck you could well net them all.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, New era Panthers said:

We knew there would be no easy route regardless of which team we selected to ride against with the  amount of injured riders and very little in the way of guests available as the season draws to a close. Good luck with your quest for the 3 trophies up for grabs I think with a bit of luck you could well net them all.

Really feel for you with injuries sustained ..maybe if our fixtures weren’t screwed up mid season we all wouldn’t have been trying to cram all the main meetings in , in the last few days . Thanks for your best wishes I really hope we get some silverware for the guys who have fought tooth and nail to get us there :t:but hey .. the 3 teams they tried to screw over where 3 in the top 4 now that’s karma for ya 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

How about alternating it each year... 1 year it's winners of the play offs that are champions the next year it's the winners of the league and have no play offs.

I'm not even sure myself if I'm serious with this one:rofl:

Edited by iainb

1 hour ago, iainb said:

How about alternating it each year... 1 year it's winners of the play offs that are champions the next year it's the winners of the league and have no play offs.

Don't knock yourself down iainb, that's one of the best stupid ideas I've read all season!! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, iainb said:

How about having the play offs, then if play off winners and top of the league are two different teams, have a further play off between the two. 

• Haha 1

why dont we just leave it as it is ! if its not broke , dont fix it...........

Give the league winners a trophy and class the play offs as a seperate competition for the best 4 teams in the league..but for gods sake get it all completed by the end of September......

2 hours ago, jenga said:

why dont we just leave it as it is ! if its not broke , dont fix it...........

I think, generally speaking, it is broke. There's a swell of opinion that league winners should be league champions and play off winners win something else, maybe a chance to have 'The Ivan Mauger Trophy' for the top 4.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ch958 said:

I think, generally speaking, it is broke. There's a swell of opinion that league winners should be league champions and play off winners win something else, maybe a chance to have 'The Ivan Mauger Trophy' for the top 4.

Or a Craven Shield or something?

It’s not really broken as such, everyone knows the format.  The reward for finishing top has a reward albeit a small one. Kings Lynn and Peterborough and even Mildenhall  have still had fantastic seasons , it’s just the unfortunate injury situation that has done for them. For every team with bad luck there’s always someone else who will benefit not just speedway but in life itself if you think about it.