British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Lakeside v Workington 27/10/10 play off final 1st leg

7 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

It’s been a tough, tough season for fans and club this year, in so many ways. So much optimism at the start of the season :(

And what turned out to be misplaced optimism too. I truly fear that we are in for much of the same in 2019. It seems as if there is to be little change, certainly no radical root and branch change that the sport in the UK needs. The same people will be in charge making the same ill-informed and parochial decisions.

Guest WTF1
8 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Good result to set up a great 2nd leg

Worky have overcome significantly bigger deficits but I think Lakeside may be a tougher nut to crack

Can see it going down to the last heat or two with Worky just nicking it

Maybe not with Nick Morris in Lakeside's team,  seems like a lucky charm,  Glasgow,  Scunthorpe, Somerset, Swindon and guesting for Poole this year have all won league titles with him in the team. 

58 minutes ago, HerniaWise said:

Maybe not with Nick Morris in Lakeside's team,  seems like a lucky charm,  Glasgow,  Scunthorpe, Somerset, Swindon and guesting for Poole this year have all won league titles with him in the team. 

As did Buxton if memory serves me right..

8 hours ago, NickRushbrook said:

At least we saw some racing and the Workington fans didn't have a wasted trip.

A showpiece event it was not but the threat of rain and the cold unfortunately had it's day and nobody can be blamed for that.

That seems to be the thing these days... as long as there is some racing fans will be happy regardless of the entertainment. 

As for the weather, no one has any control of it but...... somebody somewhere has control of when to run these meetings and what do you think the conditions will be in the last week of October? :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, HerniaWise said:

So there you go Chris Louis.... all you need to do is sign him for the Witches :D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cityrebel said:

The move to Rye has sapped the life out of me, and I'm not a Lakeside fan. Rain offs, delays, abandoned meetings and a power cut, have put the finishing touches to the worst season in my living memory.

It would but just be grateful the club is still going and help make the most of the future, be positive! 

Guest WTF1
1 hour ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

That seems to be the thing these days... as long as there is some racing fans will be happy regardless of the entertainment. 

As for the weather, no one has any control of it but...... somebody somewhere has control of when to run these meetings and what do you think the conditions will be in the last week of October? :rolleyes:

As I posted on another thread the Championship shield should have been run straight after the qualifiers,  the KO cup at least a month ago leaving the play off final this month as the main prize,  with virtually the same teams involved it's become a complete farce and the sooner this season is over the better,  whoever compiled the fixture list this year want's a good kick up the arse. 

12 minutes ago, Trees said:

It would but just be grateful the club is still going and help make the most of the future, be positive! 

It's easy to talk about being postive when you're not handing over the money. Admission alone has cost me £111, that's without programmes or travel. In todays day and age it's all about customer service, and that is where speedway has a lot to learn.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

It's easy to talk about being postive when you're not handing over the money. Admission alone has cost me £111, that's without programmes or travel. In todays day and age it's all about customer service, and that is where speedway has a lot to learn.

I agree all promoters could try harder, I also think that maybe they lose enthusiasm when they are losing money though, what do you want for your money? They all need to look at what the promoters of the Isle of Wight are doing right. 

• Like 1

the way I see it recent years there are no PROMOTERS any more theres just people in charge who put meetings on 

very rare do you see anything being promoted in speedway apart from gp at Cardiff and the odd shared event 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, HerniaWise said:

As I posted on another thread the Championship shield should have been run straight after the qualifiers,  the KO cup at least a month ago leaving the play off final this month as the main prize,  with virtually the same teams involved it's become a complete farce and the sooner this season is over the better,  whoever compiled the fixture list this year want's a good kick up the arse. 

The compiler produces the bare bones of the list and it is a working document for all clubs who then do swaps and rearrange dates when riders or stadiums aren't available. It's the clubs themselves that come up with the final list which is then formally adopted at the post AGM meeting (usually end of January) before publication. This is why dates that were published at the start of the season should not have been tinkered with other than agreed fixture swaps.

The heart of the problem is that some clubs flatly refuse a non adopted fixture date (play offs, other competition semis and finals where the dates and teams are unknown in January) unless it is to their advantage and I mean advantage. A reluctance to accept a date with a number one missing is understandable but to refuse any dates even when there is a facility available is not only unacceptable it is tantamount to cheating but of course it's not against the rules.

• Like 1

Those currently at the top of the BSPA must be removed at the AGM They have presided over the worst unorganised season in living memory..More of the same next season could put the final nail in the coffin of british speedway.....

Edited by waco
  • Like 6

28 minutes ago, Trees said:

I agree all promoters could try harder, I also think that maybe they lose enthusiasm when they are losing money though, what do you want for your money? They all need to look at what the promoters of the Isle of Wight are doing right. 

Decent facilities, clean toilets and a well prepared track for the riders to race on. None of these were on offer during lakeside's stint at Rye. I will still go, because I'm too old to change, but the sport has no chance of attracting a new fan base, to replace the present generation.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

My second visit to Rye since the move -I just cannot take to the place. Yes there are stands/seating but it doesn't appear co-ordinated in any way. Plenty of lights around the track but, in my opinion, they do not illuminate the track effectively: I was watching the riders enter bend one from the tapes and had no idea who was whom. I counted three passes last night (there may have been more that I missed in the dark).

For a meeting of this importance, there was little to no atmosphere - what do you expect on a cold damp late October evening on a track not renowned for good racing? I agree with others, the powers that be have made a complete cods of this season and, realistically, I hold out no hope that they won't do it again.

Good to see that two Friday night impacted teams made it to the final notwithstanding the 'difficulties' placed in their way.

Best wishes to both teams tonight and hope everyone stays safe. Whoever wins will be worthy champions.

• Like 1

What a place !! Awful viewing , awful track ,that monstrosity in the middle of it and more life in my little finger than the crowd last night , no atmosphere whatsoever for a grand final . Should have been called at heat 11, that ref needs to get herself on a Speedway bike see if she could have rode it :rolleyes: 10point lead tonight for the Hammers ...is it enough ?? Mmmmm

• Like 7