British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
scaramanga

2nd leg play off final

2 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Unfashionable they maybe, but they are still a terrific little club as well. Definitely one of my favourite places to visit for more reasons than the racing alone.

A quick word for Tony Jackson here. I have never met him, but I have never heard a bad word about him either (which, where speedway is concerned, is exceptional).  Comets through and through, from standing on the terraces to becoming team manager and co-promoter. There's no doubt he has made a substantial contribution to Workington's season and its all the more pleasing when one of the decent guys gets his share (more than his share) of success.

I echo your view regarding the future of the Comets. For me at least, speedway simply wouldn't be the same without them.

It seems the current vogue is to refer to the Comets as an unfashionable club.   On what basis is that theory brought folks' mind-set?

We have probably one of the ** best stadiums** in the Championship, a great racing friendly track. Plus, obviously, the best team, and despite reports to the contrary a great bunch of fans. With one of the best away followings by numbers in the sport....what is 'unfashionable' about any of that?

**Peterborough also good**........any others ????

5 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I heard a figure of just under 1100 for the attendence - ia that correct?

I think that the official figure was just under 1100 

That's the figure that was given to someone who needs them 

I'm sure most will think there was more in ;)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, scaramanga said:

I think that the official figure was just under 1100 

That's the figure that was given to someone who needs them 

I'm sure most will think there was more in ;)

The main stand was full and that holds 1000, must have been more

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, gregory peck said:

Yes correct re Grandstand........and from my viewing at Town matches, who often return a 700 approx attendance, well there was certainly more than double a typical Town gate......or I need to urgently get to Specsavers.........by the way does speedway have a 'shared gate' policy as RL do for cup matches???

Edited by singy13

45 minutes ago, gregory peck said:

not quite full . the right hand side of the stand has limited  vision of the 4th bend  and apart from the initial launch year , it has always had a god number of spare seats empty because of the 4th bend issue . so maybe 900 in the stand and the 1st and 2nd bends were full. back straight had a few in as well . so it was a good turnout for the meeting. cant see us getting the same again tonight . but it . would be nice .. 

2 minutes ago, jenga said:

not quite full . the right hand side of the stand has limited  vision of the 4th bend  and apart from the initial launch year , it has always had a god number of spare seats empty because of the 4th bend issue . so maybe 900 in the stand and the 1st and 2nd bends were full. back straight had a few in as well . so it was a good turnout for the meeting. cant see us getting the same again tonight . but it . would be nice .. 

Yes experienced that many years back....when there was no other seats available.

58 minutes ago, gregory peck said:

my contact at Workington town says its more like 900 in grandstand since they re done the seats 

id say there was 1300+ in last night 

6 hours ago, Aces51 said:

I'm obviously not a Workington supporter, I have only ever been there twice and that was during a couple of years when I visited every then second division track at least once and yet today I woke up with a smile on my face. Why? Because it's great to see one of the unfashionable clubs, not fancied at the beginning of the season and who have overcome obstacles put in their way, not only win the league and the cup but who have done it with ease and style. 

Enjoy your success. I hope that you go on to do the treble but most of all I hope that a way is found to secure the future of the club. We can't afford to lose any teams but it would seem particularly unfortunate for your fans and promoters after achieving so much this year.

Agree with all the above, the very balanced side reminds me of the Poole team, the British League Division 1 Champions in 1969, who were not at all fancied front runners. Great performances from all the Workington riders, and guests, who really wanted the double. Hope you are successful in the Shield final for a tremendous treble against a lot of adversity!! I hope you will be able to defend your titles next year, Derwent Park was on of my favourite tracks back in the 70's.

• Like 3

Honestly 

What a night and first off to the Hammers fans please don't assume your guys rolled over. I was in the pits and on the track and the Lakeside lads put a shift in but met a side so focused and determined they just couldn't counter the effort put in by the Worky 6.

Even little Tero who I have sponsored for the last few seasons got swept up with the occasion, emotion, focussed drive and desire and I have never seen him so pumped up. Brilliant!!!

This Worky team does not know when it's beaten which isn't bad for a team full of second strings and a journeyman at reserve. Never did I personally think for one minute that this team would achieve what it has (I honestly don't think anyone did) to use a poignant football equivalent it's Leicester City all over as no one gave them a chance when they won the league. 5000/1 their odds were in winning the league and the Worky odds although possibly not as high as that they were rank outsiders to do anything let alone achieve what they have.

I would like to go on record and personally thank the promotion for all their effort and allowing me the opportunity to be part of this success story, it's been a roller coaster ride with some nervous moments at times but what a brilliant season.

I can't really add to some of the fantastic comments that have been posted on here and hopefully we can put the icing on the cake with the Shield Final tonight.

Oh and on a slight side note there was 969 fans through the doors last night with 60 guests and those figures do not include any track staff. Again nothing against the Hammers who reached the final on merit I wonder what the crowd would have been if the final had of been against a northern club or one of the Scottish sides who have large away support? 1500?. The place was bouncing last night with a fantastic atmosphere and if Worky could pull these numbers in every meeting there wouldn't be a cloud hanging over the clubs future.

Regards 

THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Missed out word
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, JeremyCorbynFan said:

A real shame that fans were robbed of a fitting final between the two top teams in the Championship. 

And by robbed you mean your team got knocked out...

The best team won the championship :D:D

#upthecomets

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jenga said:

Main stand 3/4 full IMO  as you say.

Have to say Worky make the opposition look poor even though they were busting a gut ,Jensen and Klindt are totally different class at home.

• Like 3

So is this the first time a second tier team in the modern era have won all competitions that require 7 riders (or 6 & R/R)?

newcastle i think , could be 1 or 2 more .