British Speedway Forum

25 minutes ago, TonyE said:

We will have to agree to differ then - Arena offered, in my opinion, far better all round viewing. Yes, you can get closer at Rye but that isn't everything - agreed the seating is a bonus but seems haphazard in placement. Cannot comment on the influence of the trackman ( I would hope he was heeding what the riders wanted)).

I just do not think anyone is going to stump up the money for the necessary improvements to both track and the poor lighting.

if we do end up at rye then the track could be sorted as we have 6.5 tons of arena shale in storage

I'm not prepared to say goodbye to my team just yet....even if that means groundhopping while every avenue is explored with regards to a new stadium.

It's not fair to judge the move to Rye House based on the past few weeks.

Cold weather, rain-offs and electrical faults left a sour taste but I'd like to see a season with full preparation and then make up my mind.

No, it's not Arena Essex and never will be but it's still OUR TEAM.

Couple of positives is the pub next door and i can still have my pre match 5 guys via Harlow!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, NickRushbrook said:

I'm not prepared to say goodbye to my team just yet....even if that means groundhopping while every avenue is explored with regards to a new stadium.

Cold weather, rain-offs and electrical faults left a sour taste but I'd like to see a season with full preparation and then make up my mind.

Couple of positives is the pub next door and i can still have my pre match 5 guys via Harlow!

very well said as I have said before if lakeside are allowed to do it themselves (no bmr  oar in)

then the whole experience would be a lot better

53 minutes ago, NickRushbrook said:

The eight meetings i attended at Rye earlier this season, were merely the starter leading up to the lakeside main course. That's how I've judged the Hoddesdon experience this year.

10 hours ago, HAMMER180 said:

if we do end up at rye then the track could be sorted as we have 6.5 tons of arena shale in storage

Has it got a delivery note - dated 1984? B)

• Like 1

if it has , it will be well passed its use by date . 

11 hours ago, NickRushbrook said:

Well saidNickRushbrook a voice of reason at last from Lakeside.

Here are a few facts:

You do not have your own home (really hope that changes but boy you might be surprised how hard that is)

Not enough Lakeside fans attended the matches at Rye to make it viable in the Championship

Therefore you need a large group of Rye House fans to go as well

Anybodys dreaming if they think that will change by moving to Eastbourne

So the idiots at Lakeside who slag of the stadium (granted its not the Royal Albert Hall but there again nor was the Arena Essex Gravel Pit) who slag off the track (yep it was bold as a babys bottom but why didn't Lakeside keep the shale after their last meeting?) slag off the food (get real). All this did was alienate the Rye House fans whom see above you so need.

Yes there were a number of valid issues but why insult your host when you have no home to go to yourself.

NickRushbrook I hope the close season brings you good news for Lakeside you at least you deserve it

• Like 1

• So with the "promoters"  AGM in mid November (2 weeks away)  how the devil is Jon Cook and/or Stuart Douglas (whoever are the "promoters" of Lakeside Speedway Inc.) going to be able to declare that they are running a team in whatever league the AGM are proposing in 2019 ?

• Rye House - been there in Len Silvers days - I would rank it similar to Lakeside OVERALL . Both must rank amongst the poorest speedway track facilities in the UK. 
  • RYE  - Terrible car parking. Terrrible access. Track no better or worse than Lakeside (slick ) . Viewing poorer overall but does have seating albeit in odd places. Good Fish n Chips.  Seems that it now sports a mud heap in the centre of the track adding to the ambience :-( Biggest problem for me is its a bridge too far (pun intended) being a round trip of around 170 miles from my home.
  • LAKESIDE - Cold at any time of year being exposed on the Thames Estuary. Food - well after food poisoning from a dodgy burger  - I only drink their tea. Toilets dark and often unlit. Standing only on a grassy muddy bank or in a shed on the home straight. Only bar and covered facilities are strangely located miles away from the action on the first bend with useless viewing. Round trip of 100 miles from my home is now a pain with useless tunnel to negotiate.

1 hour ago, Rayleigh said:

Well saidNickRushbrook a voice of reason at last from Lakeside.

Here are a few facts:

You do not have your own home (really hope that changes but boy you might be surprised how hard that is)

Not enough Lakeside fans attended the matches at Rye to make it viable in the Championship

Therefore you need a large group of Rye House fans to go as well

Anybodys dreaming if they think that will change by moving to Eastbourne

So the idiots at Lakeside who slag of the stadium (granted its not the Royal Albert Hall but there again nor was the Arena Essex Gravel Pit) who slag off the track (yep it was bold as a babys bottom but why didn't Lakeside keep the shale after their last meeting?) slag off the food (get real). All this did was alienate the Rye House fans whom see above you so need.

Yes there were a number of valid issues but why insult your host when you have no home to go to yourself.

NickRushbrook I hope the close season brings you good news for Lakeside you at least you deserve it

What Rye House fans. Where were they earlier in the season. Why didn't they support their club to stop it going bust. I'm a neutral that attended both venues on a regular basis, and i say it how i see it. Clubs moving into another tracks home rarely succeeds. I hope it works if Lakeside do stay at Rye, but both parties have to up their game big time.

There are rumours now circulating of Kim Nilsson (so that's as far back as 2016); Paul Hurry plus A.N.Other from this season, still awaiting their wages from the Lakeside Management.

Any truth to these 'rumours'?

7 hours ago, cityrebel said:

What Rye House fans. Where were they earlier in the season. Why didn't they support their club to stop it going bust. I'm a neutral that attended both venues on a regular basis, and i say it how i see it. Clubs moving into another tracks home rarely succeeds. I hope it works if Lakeside do stay at Rye, but both parties have to up their game big time.

If you attended matches at Rye House on a regular basis then you would have noticed:

1) crowds last year were mostly over 1,000 and sometimes 2,000, granted it was a higher standard of racing, the team was clearly motivated, mildly successful and it was also probably swollen with Lakeside fans rejecting NL.

2) crowds this year 700 to about 1,200 team atmosphere and lack of effort from some riders was noticeably different and Fixed Race Nights were a disaster and Lakeside (a very good Lakeside) back in the Championship and certain riders hugely overpaid (naïve by the management but everybody moans that they want some top riders back in English Speedway but boy are  they costly)

3) First Lakeside match at Rye House the crowd was quite good and I saw a lot of Rye House fans there, steadily those fans have stopped going, from people I have spoken to it was partly due to unappreciative comments aimed at their club from certain Lakeside fans.

The point I tried to make was "there are NOT enough Lakeside fans going to Rye House to make it viable" (what ever the reason is it doesn't matter, its just a fact) so they need some Rye House fans (points 1 or 2) to attend the Lakeside matches.

Rye House did not go bust allegedly,  if some riders were paid late (I don't know but lets presume so) look at Workington this year admitting the same, There have been rumours many times in the past that other teams have had a late payment history Finally each club are meant to pay a bond to the BSPA for their licence so surely if any club does not pay its riders then the money can come from the bond.

• Like 1

If the Hammers do stay at RH, then they will almost certainly have to change their name to help 'locals' identify with the team and build support . It remains a huge gamble though.

Look, if you think the crowds were at those levels, then you have a different opinion to me. There were strong rumours that the club was losing money weeks before the BSPA pulled the plug. I was a big critic of Len Silver during his reign, but Rye was a far better place then.

14 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Look, if you think the crowds were at those levels, then you have a different opinion to me. There were strong rumours that the club was losing money weeks before the BSPA pulled the plug. I was a big critic of Len Silver during his reign, but Rye was a far better place then.

I have seen the numbers, they are correct.

As for "Uncle" Len, you forget how bad the crowds were in the last few years (this time only I am only using the eyesight test) Some stands were rumoured to be  condemned. It was the second time he sold the club in a complete mess.

• Like 1