British Speedway Forum

On 22 November 2018 at 1:38 AM, Cliv Clav said:

Calling all Speedway fans!  Please take 10 seconds to sign the petition in the link below to help to save Speedway in Essex.  The Lakeside Hammers have been left without a track following the recent closure of the Arena-Essex Raceway, so that even more housing can be built in the area.  Let's let the local council know how much people want Speedway in the region and what a great, exciting evening out it is for all the family.  Many thanks everyone.

http://www.lakesidehammers.co/please-sign-the-hammers-petition/

2500 signatures on the petition so far, which as these things go, is said to be quite impressive . A number of riders have given their support, including Jason Doyle. The target is 3000 signatures. If you haven't signed it yet , pleas e do so , and if Auntie Lil and Uncle Bert haven't signed it see if you can get them to support it, to help the club get it over the line.   Thanks..

A pity the same number of people do not/did not attend speedway meetings when Lakeside Hammers did have a track base!

1 hour ago, gustix said:

A pity the same number of people do not/did not attend speedway meetings when Lakeside Hammers did have a track base!

Possibly because, like myself, the signers aren't from that area?

5 hours ago, gustix said:

3 hours ago, *JJ said:

Possibly because, like myself, the signers aren't from that area?

Then why do they sign? It tends to create an unreal figure in regard to attendances when discussion is held in regard to a base for a possible new track.

In a similar instance I have been led to understand that a campaign to save Coventry's Brandon Stadium has many supporting signatures. Again, how many of these are actual base-root Coventry supporters rather than from the 'here's something to sign' brigade who have never been near the place? Or live so far away that they will not visit the place anyway?

8 minutes ago, gustix said:

Then why do they sign? It tends to create an unreal figure in regard to attendances when discussion is held in regard to a base for a possible new track.

In a similar instance I have been led to understand that a campaign to save Coventry's Brandon Stadium has many supporting signatures. Again, how many of these are actual base-root Coventry supporters rather than from the 'here's something to sign' brigade who have never been near the place? Or live so far away that they will not visit the place anyway?

Do you want our help or not? Just because I dont live in the area doesn’t mean I don’t want the club to survive and get a new track.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Do you want our help or not? Just because I dont live in the area doesn’t mean I don’t want the club to survive and get a new track.

Beat me to it! I’ve been to Lakeside on many occasions, though not local to it. Of course I’d like a replacement. Wouldn’t we all?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Spot on. A new track for Lakeside would be a benefit to all of the Speedway community not just the fans of the Hammers. Although i wouldn't be put off as Gustix is hardly the voice of the Lakeside fan base.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gustix said:

Who cares? Every signature helps. 

I have no personal objections to Lakeside Hammers having a new track/base. I have never seen them racing at any time. All I wonder is how when the petition is presented will it be seriously considered because it does not ask the signatory to give their address - just a name and email.

A small point some - probably a majority - on here will say. But when the petition is presented this fact will be used as a strong case to seek it invalidity by those opposed to it - as well as comparing how many have signed it compared to average attendances for speedway meetings. 

51 minutes ago, gustix said:

I have no personal objections to Lakeside Hammers having a new track/base. I have never seen them racing at any time. All I wonder is how when the petition is presented will it be seriously considered because it does not ask the signatory to give their address - just a name and email.

A small point some - probably a majority - on here will say. But when the petition is presented this fact will be used as a strong case to seek it invalidity by those opposed to it - as well as comparing how many have signed it compared to average attendances for speedway meetings. 

I don't know whether you are just trolling and trouble making in your usual way or whether you are just dim but rather than make such unhelpful comments, why not leave the matter to those who are working with, and to some extent being guided by Thurrock Council on what the petition should or should not include. The fact that the petition includes the signature of a former World Champion is one of the things that adds weight , for example. 

Speedway might be a minority sport nationwide but it attracts the biggest crowds in Thurrock.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Daytripper said:

I don't know whether you are just trolling and trouble making in your usual way or whether you are just dim but rather than make such unhelpful comments, why not leave the matter to those who are working with, and to some extent being guided by Thurrock Council on what the petition should or should not include. The fact that the petition includes the signature of a former World Champion is one of the things that adds weight , for example. 

Speedway might be a minority sport nationwide but it attracts the biggest crowds in Thurrock.

I think that I know as well as the next man how local councils work. I worked in local journalism from 1962 until 2012 (kept on after the age limit). In that time i was a Group Editor of local newspapers in Middlesex, then from 1971 on local newspapers in south London in which I graduated to senior management. In the years I was in regular contact with the local councils and know full well the criteria in regard to matters like petitions. If Thurrock Council advised that a petition did not need a signatory's address I am extremely surprised. I am in no way opposed to the petition - merely trying to highlight that a major item - the signatory's address is missing. IMO this is very much needed because a local council's objectives basically are the wishes of their LOCAL population. These those who bother to read my comments will be delighted to know that I am not going to further my views on the petition. PS: Re speedway attracting the largest sporting crowds in Thurrock. I have always been under the impression that attendances for Arena Essex short oval car racing were significantly larger?

http://www.lakesidehammers.co/hammers-get-together-overview/

A guide to petitions - note reference to address of signatory:

https://www.spelthorne.gov.uk/article/3194/Questions-about-petitions#Q1

Edited by Guest

On 11 December 2018 at 8:43 AM, Daytripper said:

2500 signatures on the petition so far, which as these things go, is said to be quite impressive . A number of riders have given their support, including Jason Doyle. The target is 3000 signatures. If you haven't signed it yet , pleas e do so , and if Auntie Lil and Uncle Bert haven't signed it see if you can get them to support it, to help the club get it over the line.   Thanks..

Hi mate, just a side note that the Jason Doyle that has signed is a work colleague of mine that goes to speedway but isn't a rider.

2100ish homes will be built on Arena Essex, so our signatures out number that!

We have had no stories about our campaign on the SGB website or the Speedway Star, as far as I know.  So, I will start a thread of its own on here just to make others aware of our fight.  Hope the admins are ok with that.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cliv Clav said:

Hi mate, just a side note that the Jason Doyle that has signed is a work colleague of mine that goes to speedway but isn't a rider.

2100ish homes will be built on Arena Essex, so our signatures out number that!

We have had no stories about our campaign on the SGB website or the Speedway Star, as far as I know.  So, I will start a thread of its own on here just to make others aware of our fight.  Hope the admins are ok with that.

2100 homes at a probable price range of £350,000 each. Perhaps  if the 2,100 signatures - far more than attended speedway meetings in recent year (one crowd last season was said to be only 250) - can raise an overall sum to match that then it could be 'speedway business as usual' for Lakeside aka Thurrock Hammers.

20 minutes ago, gustix said:

2100 homes at a probable price range of £350,000 each. Perhaps  if the 2,100 signatures - far more than attended speedway meetings in recent year (one crowd last season was said to be only 250) - can raise an overall sum to match that then it could be 'speedway business as usual' for Lakeside aka Thurrock Hammers.

Perhaps if you are so much in favour of progress and the building of 2100 houses all over a much loved and supported speedway venue you could pop along and volunteer to be part of the footings.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Perhaps if you are so much in favour of progress and the building of 2100 houses all over a much loved and supported speedway venue you could pop along and volunteer to be part of the footings.

The guy is a total twonk,who is best ignored.He even said a week or so ago he wouldn't be posting on here any more as he doesn't like it.But given an opportunity to spread some of his negativity about a track he admits he has never even visited,he couldn't resist.Pointless

• Like 2