British Speedway Forum

This campaign reminds me of a similar effort in regard to Wimbledon Stadium.  How many times was that supposedly saved? 

The developers will pinpoint the number of petition signatures and align them against how many people actually attended Lakeside Hammers speedway meetings. How will the speedway clan explain that difference?

While I concede that I have never seen a speedway meeting at the track, i have visited Arena Essex quite a few times over the years for short circuit car racing promotions by both the main stadium owners and some promoted by The Rolling Thunder Show.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, gustix said:

2100 homes at a probable price range of £350,000 each. Perhaps  if the 2,100 signatures - far more than attended speedway meetings in recent year (one crowd last season was said to be only 250) - can raise an overall sum to match that then it could be 'speedway business as usual' for Lakeside aka Thurrock Hammers.

The low crowd you mentioned was at Rye, not Arena.

10 minutes ago, Cliv Clav said:

The low crowd you mentioned was at Rye, not Arena.

Hmmm!!! An indication as to how far Lakeside Hammers' supporters are prepared to travel when matches were not/are not staged at Arena Essex? Yet there is a reputed search on for a new venue in Thurrock.

38 minutes ago, gustix said:

This campaign reminds me of a similar effort in regard to Wimbledon Stadium.  How many times was that supposedly saved? 

The developers will pinpoint the number of petition signatures and align them against how many people actually attended Lakeside Hammers speedway meetings. How will the speedway clan explain that difference?

While I concede that I have never seen a speedway meeting at the track, i have visited Arena Essex quite a few times over the years for short circuit car racing promotions by both the main stadium owners and some promoted by The Rolling Thunder Show.

We are going to try everything to get the Hammers back in Essex.  It took 12 years to find the Hammers a new home after West Ham closed, let's hope we are more successful now Arena Essex has been compulsory purchased.

There are lots of occasional speedway fans in Essex, as shown by the attendances at the last meeting, free and subsidised meetings and the Lee Richardson Memorial.

The way speedway has been run over the last 10 or more years has driven fans away from every track, but as a constant attended since 1990, I can assure you we have enough of a fan base and potential fan base to maintain a team in Essex.  It's a shame you couldn't make it to Arena for speedway over the years, as it's always nice to meet other forum members.

The management and fans are fighting hard to return the team to the area and surely other fans and teams should be supporting that.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, gustix said:

Hmmm!!! An indication as to how far Lakeside Hammers' supporters are prepared to travel when matches were not/are not staged at Arena Essex? Yet there is a reputed search on for a new venue in Thurrock.

That's right, it was effectively an away match which we took 200ish fans to.  That's good travelling for away fans in speedway today.

Obviously, fans would turn up in greater numbers in Thurrock, as that's where Arena Essex was!  You do realise Rye is another county and a further hour or so away for many fans right?. That's an extra 2 or more hours travelling for a match.

• Like 3

The other thing is that when the 211 fans turned up it was at the end of that run of rain offs and double headers we half the time we didn't know whether matches were on or off. The last meeting at Lakeside drew a huge crowd and the crowds at Rye were pretty good at first till it was all messed up with the weather.

its also the case that the stock car crowds were falling off dramatically in the last few years, only kept up by a few big meetings per year. If the stocks were more profitable it's unlikely the owners would have pulled out as early as they did.

1 hour ago, gustix said:

That's not exactly a fair comment there John. It must be 30 odd miles between the two tracks.  Not sure that your beloved New Cross or Wimbledon would get big numbers if they had to ride in say Luton or Gravesend..

Good luck to all involved in the Lakeside cause.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

The other thing is that when the 211 fans turned up it was at the end of that run of rain offs and double headers we half the time we didn't know whether matches were on or off. The last meeting at Lakeside drew a huge crowd and the crowds at Rye were pretty good at first till it was all messed up with the weather.

its also the case that the stock car crowds were falling off dramatically in the last few years, only kept up by a few big meetings per year. If the stocks were more profitable it's unlikely the owners would have pulled out as early as they did.

That's an interesting Post and very straightforward in putting forward a valid point of view.

However, 'huge crowd' at the final Lakeside Hammers speedway meeting at Arena Essex. I am fairly certain I saw somewhere on FACEBOOK a mention of 800?

When New Cross closed in 1953 because of low attendances it was 10 times that. And that's an attendance not seen for a domestic league match of any sort in British speedway for many years.

Edited by Guest

59 minutes ago, gustix said:

That's an interesting Post and very straightforward in putting forward a valid point of view.

However, 'huge crowd' at the final Lakeside Hammers speedway meeting at Arena Essex. I am fairly certain I saw somewhere on FACEBOOK a mention of 800?

When New Cross closed in 1953 because of low attendances it was 10 times that. And that's an attendance not seen for a domestic league match of any sort in British speedway for many years.

3000 was the attendance for the last meeting at Arena.  Not sure where you read 800 mate.  Just as a side note, for our free meeting that we held in 2007 against Poole, 7000 turned up and clogged up the surrounding roads leading to Arena Essex.

I would like to clarify where my concerns lie in regard to 'saving' Lakeside aka Thurrock Hammers.

(1) I have no anti-feeling towards a return of the club at a new venue in Essex.

(2) My concern is in regard to the on-line petition now operating. Again, at basis this is a good idea. However, in my reasoning when Thurrock Council gave their support to the petition I am certain they thought it would only be designated for those with a LOCAL or REGULAR following of the team.

(3) In that case, Thurrock Council MAY have anticipated that it would be supported by regular followers of the Hammers and LOCAL people who would have favourable or other feelings in regard to the project.

(4) I wonder if at the stage Thurrock Council are aware the petition has been placed for national signature meaning that many of those supporting a venture to revive have no local connections to it?

(5) The previous remarks outline where my feelings in regard to a revival of Lakeside/Thurrock Hammers. I think the petition signatories should be (a) local ratepayers or (b) bona fide regular supporters of the speedway club.

As it stands there is every likelihood that many of those who have signed the online petition do not meet any of what I feel are the needed criteria to have been participants in the on-line  petition project.

Edited by Guest
word missing in Post

No one cares. Just sign the petition or don’t. If it doesn’t help then it doesn’t help but no harm is done by signing it.

Edited by liam
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, liam said:

No one cares. Just sign the petition or don’t. If it doesn’t help then it doesn’t help but no harm is done by signing it.

Then you should care because IF there is a Thurrock Council debate on the issue those opposed will almost certainly raise the matter that the petition was on a national basis rather than a LOCAL basis.

If what we are being told is true "gustix" then we allegedly have the support of Thurrock Council and the developer who are "sympathetic" to a sporting venue on the Thurrock area. 

HOWEVER what is clear is that the developer does not support paying for a new sporting venue as part of thier development plans (surprise surprise)

I doubt a petition will do any more than show that a few thousand folks are interested in a speedway track in the Thurrock area, and generate som much needed publicity for the cause.  For my part I have signed the petition.  I also supported Kent Kings planning applications.

I have previously posted my opinion on the Lakeside Hammers fans forum that unless a wealthy  potential owner can be found to lead this campaign then Hammers RIP.   Money talks.

PS You are a New Cross Supporter ? 

10 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

If what we are being told is true "gustix" then we allegedly have the support of Thurrock Council and the developer who are "sympathetic" to a sporting venue on the Thurrock area. 

HOWEVER what is clear is that the developer does not support paying for a new sporting venue as part of thier development plans (surprise surprise)

I doubt a petition will do any more than show that a few thousand folks are interested in a speedway track in the Thurrock area, and generate som much needed publicity for the cause.  For my part I have signed the petition.  I also supported Kent Kings planning applications.

I have previously posted my opinion on the Lakeside Hammers fans forum that unless a wealthy  potential owner can be found to lead this campaign then Hammers RIP.   Money talks.

PS You are a New Cross Supporter ? 

I saw my first speedway  meeting at New Cross for the opening meeting in April of the 1946 season. New Cross in a challenge match against The Rest. Riders in that match included Ron Johnson, Jack Parker, Les Wotton. New Cross won the match. Over the subsequent seasons until the 1953 I saw all the great National League teams and riders of those truly golden speedway seasons.

8 hours ago, gustix said:

Then you should care because IF there is a Thurrock Council debate on the issue those opposed will almost certainly raise the matter that the petition was on a national basis rather than a LOCAL basis.

There might be no Thurrock Council debate on it so what’s the problem. They have backing from the council and the local MP. You’ve made your point the petition is worthless. Let’s move on

• Like 2