British Speedway Forum

Once you get north of Chelmsford I think that is a sort of boundary between Arena and Ipswich although I did know of some people who lived in the north side of Chelmsford who were Witches through and through, many years  ago.

8 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Wow...

He sounded really positive and up beat, it may not be all doom and gloom listening to that, good luck to him.

Regards
THJ

He is definitely going to do all he can to give Essex a speedway team.

1 minute ago, liam said:

Certainly looks like it and as stated "good luck" to him I for one certainly hope he can pull it off

Regards
THJ

10 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Certainly looks like it and as stated "good luck" to him I for one certainly hope he can pull it off

Regards
THJ

Same here mate. I can’t see it happening personally but I’d love to be wrong.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 10:07 AM, TonyE said:

For what it is worth, I believe the Hammers will effectively cease to exist having now completed the season.

Rye House was merely an expedient - I still do not understand the logic of the authorities in ruling we had to switch all remaining fixtures to RH rather than just run the ones we could not fit in at Arena - but then this is speedway , often devoid of any logic. RH is much, much worse than Arena - poor viewing, poor racing, poor lighting and, as others have said, not really a viable option without major and costly changes.

Thanks for the memories.

I trust you are serious when you say that Rye is much much worse for viewing than Arena?  There are many like me who live close to Arena but chose to go elsewhere because Arena was simply the worse track in the country  in two very important ways  1 The viewing apart from the tiny bit of  the back straight was just far too far away from the track and 2 Quite importantly the track never cut it as a race track, too flat poor shape etc. It’s always sad to lose a club but the Arena track well...

The thing that above all else that has kept me away from Rye House is the small car park, if that is full I wouldn't want to leave my car over the river/railway, that estate always used to look rough to say the least, at Arena I knew even if there was 3000 in, I would still get parked and my car would be safe.

3 hours ago, marko said:

The thing that above all else that has kept me away from Rye House is the small car park, if that is full I wouldn't want to leave my car over the river/railway, that estate always used to look rough to say the least, at Arena I knew even if there was 3000 in, I would still get parked and my car would be safe.

Why didn't you just arrive earlier?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, liam said:

From the radio interview, although he used Swindon as an example of speedway working with developers, the situation for Lakeside is different. They have lost their 'cash cow' and their home. An interesting part of the interview was he mentioned it could be some time before the developers start to build houses. I wonder if one or two more seasons couldn't still be raced at the track? In other words, if the track/stadium are going to sit idle, someone surely, could arrange a deal. And if Jon Cook truly has the backing of the developers and local council to find a new location, it will give the club time to sort something and provide continuity. I also feel, if the team moves to Rye House in 2019, it will be 'new' Rye House and Lakeside/Arena Essex will just be a defunct club.  

3 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

From the radio interview, although he used Swindon as an example of speedway working with developers, the situation for Lakeside is different. They have lost their 'cash cow' and their home. An interesting part of the interview was he mentioned it could be some time before the developers start to build houses. I wonder if one or two more seasons couldn't still be raced at the track? In other words, if the track/stadium are going to sit idle, someone surely, could arrange a deal. And if Jon Cook truly has the backing of the developers and local council to find a new location, it will give the club time to sort something and provide continuity. I also feel, if the team moves to Rye House in 2019, it will be 'new' Rye House and Lakeside/Arena Essex will just be a defunct club.  

I think when push comes to shove the new developers and council won’t want a speedway track to have anything to do with the new housing development. I don’t see the club racing at Rye House next year as the Rye supporters won’t watch them and the Lakeside fans will not travel either, I am yet to see a Lakeside fan say anything positive about the racing their. Unfortunately I think Lakeside will stop racing this year and we are unlikely to ever see them again.

12 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

No criticism intended but when people talk about Essex are they thinking south or north of the county.

Would former Lakeside fans travel to say to Colchester or Clacton(I am not saying any land is available) which is a fair way off the original patch.

Rayleigh fans travelled to Rye House and probably more latterly to Lakeside (or Arena as it was in the early days) but where is the real catchment area.

It is important to find somewhere with little in the way of local entertainment and build on the fact that people can readily relate to supporting local sporting heroes and the entertainment is at a price point where people are prepared to spend the cash.

I sincerely wish that the sport could find a home in Essex but my gut feeling is that with the demand for housing etc, south of the county is going to be a difficult nut to crack and perhaps any would be track owner/promoter needs to look at less densely populated areas of which you still have some in Essex albeit access is on B class roads. 

Good luck and let’s hope that another team is not lost to the sport.

There is a fair few of us that travelled from south of the river as well. Some of our group were from surrey and sussex, and we were regulars at Arena.

37 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

I personally think if there was any chance that we would see more speedway in the current staduim whilst the developers are waiting to get in then Stuart would not have called it a day 

Did you prefer lens rye house track shape and surface or the latest shape and surface ?  

I preferred the track durings Lens era, it does seem narrower now, and a lot slicker. On the plus side, the safety fence and air bags are a big improvement on the previous set up.