British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, TRM said:

I personally think if there was any chance that we would see more speedway in the current staduim whilst the developers are waiting to get in then Stuart would not have called it a day 

Totally agree. The last thing developers want is sitting tennants. The upkeep of the stadium and the security of the site would fall on the shoulders of the Speedway promoters. It wouldn't be financially viable.

11 hours ago, westhamboy66 said:

I trust you are serious when you say that Rye is much much worse for viewing than Arena?  There are many like me who live close to Arena but chose to go elsewhere because Arena was simply the worse track in the country  in two very important ways  1 The viewing apart from the tiny bit of  the back straight was just far too far away from the track and 2 Quite importantly the track never cut it as a race track, too flat poor shape etc. It’s always sad to lose a club but the Arena track well...

I could ask the same question of you. You are entitled to your opinion of course and there has already been a rebuttal of a couple of your viewpoints. Watching from a little further back allows a greater field of vision, especially when we have 'the two races in one' scenario and, also, in my opinion Arena was a much safer track. Rye House is too narrow and had Nick Morris had the same type of incident as happened in the first attempt to run Heat 15 against Glasgow, he would have piled into the fence - no wrap around the corners airbags at RH!

As for the quality of racing, I find it really difficult to even put RH in same league as Arena which at least offered riders options on the lines they take rather than just open the throttle and blast round for four laps.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

if the new track is to happen it will not be for a few years and that could be

to long to keep a fan base as I have already said. jon did not say that a track on the old site was the only option

there were several others but for some reason the developers and council do no like one of them.

jon also said there had been a lot of positive phone calls during the day maybe there is someone with the deep

pockets needed for it to work is out there.

I would like to know what was so special about the phone calls from adam and Richard were about for jon to mention it.

re next season if all parties at rye and lakeside can find some common ground then it could work there for the few years needed

to keep the club alive of course that's depending on someone stepping up to the plate in the next couple of weeks or the

powers that be give the likes of us and Workington an extention of  say 3 months to get things in to place wont hold my breath on that one.

• Like 2

Probably just words of support Hammer180, I remember when the club were looking to drop the NL, Richard asked if there was anything he could do to ensure the club continued to race at a higher level, Top man is Richard Lawson.

If you made a list of the top 5 most likable riders the club has had in its entire history, Richard would be in that.

• Like 7

Just now, marko said:

Probably just words of support Hammer180, I remember when the club were looking to drop the NL, Richard asked if there was anything he could do to ensure the club continued to race at a higher level, Top man is Richard Lawson.

If you made a list of the top 5 most likable riders the club has had in its entire history, Richard would be in that.

aye , nice guy is richard ., shame about the fingers he gave to the crowd @  workington ...........league final meeting . 

but still a good lad .

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, marko said:

Richard is definitely a Lakeside legend. He's in the clubs all time top 10 in my eyes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, liam said:

Without doubt one of the best signings the club has made. Top bloke

He has to be the worst ex.comet their is you and others are welcome to him!

6 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

not the best comments there . geoff. you will have done your fair share of cheering richard  in in his early days .

as did the rest of us . 

17 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Thanks Geoff lol 

42 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

bit harsh that.would welcome him at sheffield

Andrew silver once said of the great "ivan mauger" as a rider their is no one better as a " person " no comment soz to say but richard comes across like that.

7 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Andrew silver once said of the great "ivan mauger" as a rider their is no one better as a " person " no comment soz to say but richard comes across like that.

I hated Mauger as a rider, especially his antics at the tapes. When i was invited on the great mans farewell tour of Poland in 1985, i found that away from the track he was a totally different person. Ivan and his family treated me really well, and made me feel guilty about how i booed him as a kid!

• Like 1

In the case of Richard Lawson, I think the true 'mark of the man' is that there will be a raft of teams in 2019 ready to snap him up.

• Like 1