British Speedway Forum

33 minutes ago, poppetman said:

Move into Hoddesdon,drop the K and swap the A and E around and there you have it-Leaside Hammers. It's your only hope.  

In many respects, holding onto the name 'Hammers' is pointless now, as it was originally adopted to try and recreate and cash-in on the heady days of the West Ham speedway team at Customs House. Well, that ship has well and truly left Tilbury Docks!  

2 minutes ago, poppetman said:

OK then--how about Rye House Rockets.

All joking aside, I don't understand why the Rye House supporters would not support a homeless team from Lakeside, using their track. If you were happy to go to the stadium to watch Rye House speedway, but were forced to liquidate, surely you would return to the stadium to watch another team? After all, most teams, as we know, are different year on year and during the season. Whatever you call yourself, is virtually irrelevant. I would love to see both teams line up in 2019, but at the moment, it is possibly neither.

• Like 4

If it’s at Rye it should be Rye House Rockets, if you try and appeal to two sets of fans you end up appealing to neither.

We saw in 2017 a swing of fans go to Rye instead of Arena as they wanted to see a higher level of racing, that could still happen again especially if you have the odd rider or two with previous Hammers connections.

The Hammers are done, at least for the time being, no point in losing another track in the process of trying to keep two sets of fans happy.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, marko said:

If it’s at Rye it should be Rye House Rockets, if you try and appeal to two sets of fans you end up appealing to neither.

We saw in 2017 a swing of fans go to Rye instead of Arena as they wanted to see a higher level of racing, that could still happen again especially if you have the odd rider or two with previous Hammers connections.

The Hammers are done, at least for the time being, no point in losing another track in the process of trying to keep two sets of fans happy.

I think you are absolutely right. If the club moves to Rye House, then they should be called Rye House.

Its a little bizarre, but there are those who wouldn't go to Hoddesdon if the team remained as Lakeside but would if it changed to Rye House.

Part of the reason Rye moved up to the top flight, is crowds were poor during their last middle tier season. With rumours of a reduction in standard in the championship next year, would any prospective promoters be willing to take a gamble.

So much surely  depends on which race night is available in 2019.

Midweek racing at Rye early this season was a disaster from what I am told by fellow supporters. TBH Friday evenings at Rye ( Lakesides traditional race night) are a challenge with traffic for fans from Essex and Kent . Saturdays seem the best comprimise if Rye is to be resurrected - but it certainly needs BMR racing to regain their enthusiasm after their shafting by th BSpA 

Saturday evening or Sunday  afternoons are the only real options to run at Rye......midweek traffic is horrendous,, ,, A ..barely moving  M25 is enough to put off the majority coming up from the south of the track........ Old Bob,.I think BMR caused their own problems ,,not the BSPA... Hopefully something can be sorted to  keep speedway in the Herts/Essex area......

Edited by waco
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

So much surely  depends on which race night is available in 2019.

Midweek racing at Rye early this season was a disaster from what I am told by fellow supporters. TBH Friday evenings at Rye ( Lakesides traditional race night) are a challenge with traffic for fans from Essex and Kent . Saturdays seem the best comprimise if Rye is to be resurrected - but it certainly needs BMR racing to regain their enthusiasm after their shafting by th BSpA 

Firstly BMR would have to get their promoters licence back, if that's not possible, who would take Rye on as a going concern. It's going to be an interesting winter for sure.

8 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I think you are absolutely right. If the club moves to Rye House, then they should be called Rye House.

Its a little bizarre, but there are those who wouldn't go to Hoddesdon if the team remained as Lakeside but would if it changed to Rye House.

Yeah but there is a certain integrity about it, its like someone trying palm you off with what you know is a fake rolex and insisting its the real thing, as opposed to someone saying hey, this isn't what your looking for but it will do the job and you will be happy and look around at how many others are wearing these, they know what it is and they are happy too.

Probably that's a crap analogy but you get my point, there is no pretending to be something they are not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Firstly BMR would have to get their promoters licence back, if that's not possible, who would take Rye on as a going concern. It's going to be an interesting winter for sure.

There won't be any speedway next yr anywhere because of the bspa circus this season at the mo

Who says bmr or any other club need a licience for track/promotion thou the bspa?

If the clubs breakaway from bspa they can register everything under a diff governing body:D

5 minutes ago, barraider said:

There won't be any speedway next yr anywhere because of the bspa circus this season at the mo

Who says bmr or any other club need a licience for track/promotion thou the bspa?

If the clubs breakaway from bspa they can register everything under a diff governing body:D

And pigs might fly. If you don't bow to the old boys club, then you won't be let in. It's as simple as that.

If its the old  boys club or nothing  , heaven help us........Where the hell are they going to acquire the brains from to make it work for the good of all ..????????????

Edited by waco

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

And pigs might fly. If you don't bow to the old boys club, then you won't be let in. It's as simple as that.

I am sure you are right but.

What could the BSPA do if for example an overseas club (German, Dutch, French etc.) decided to rent a track in the U.K. and put racing on using licensed riders from their own country? Racing under their own country rules and not using riders attached to U.K. clubs I cannot see that it would be anything to do with the BSPA. A bit like American football renting Wembley albeit not as grand.

If a track owner wants to rent the stadia out to the highest bidder and that bidder is an overseas club which can arrange all the necessary insurances, medical cover etc. who could stop it happening?

It is just a thought and I have not drilled down to the cost etc. but would it be a restriction of trade if the BSPA tried to block it?