British Speedway Forum
hyderd

Belle Vue 2019

1 minute ago, WestGorton1884 said:

Realistically Cook doesn’t have the talent of someone like Lambert, but Craig is probably the next level down , ie a very capable international speedway rider .

the GPs were a step too far , but he more than deserved to his chance to ride at that level, albeit possibly for only one season.

I’m genuinely sorry to see his time as an Ace end the way it did , hopefully bridges haven’t been burned and he can return one day ? .... doubt it though 

Bridges are burnt and that is his own fault given his social media comments.

Its ironic isn’t it, that he got a deal tied up with Peterborough in less than 2 days. It was almost like he was already talking to them!

Hes touting himself to the highest bidder and the panthers have paid up. Had Glasgow been in the top flight, he would have been there because they’d have paid him quite handsomely for the privilege.

I wish him well for the future but the time was right.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, acef said:

Bridges are rarely burnt in speedway.  Look at Jack Holder returning to Poole and Batchelor and Doyle to Swindon. There were lots of caustic words between those riders and their clubs and all is forgotten within a season or two.

I agree that Craig Cook is not the natural talent of Darcy Ward or Robert Lambert but even Tai Woffinden had a terrible first GP campaign!

Craig has made the most of his career by hard work and determination and he should be admired for that and be the inspiration for every NL rider. He is also quite eloquent and doesn’t talk in cliches.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, acef said:

Just to add btw, I think the biggest risk with Dan will be his head and how he recovers mentally. Physically he will likely be stronger after all the metal work, kid will be like the f#####g terminator. He’s took a few knocks now, for a sch a young lad, his battle is going to be in the head.

I think he’s a huge gamble.

I'd agree with that but I think it is a gamble worth taking. His fearlessness is a big part of what makes him so exciting. I hope that the accident makes Dan realise that he needs to focus on improving his gating as he should still be fast out in front where it is a lot safer!

13 minutes ago, acef said:

Its ironic isn’t it, that he got a deal tied up with Peterborough in less than 2 days. It was almost like he was already talking to them!

Hes touting himself to the highest bidder and the panthers have paid up. Had Glasgow been in the top flight, he would have been there because they’d have paid him quite handsomely for the privilege.

Compare that to Kenny last year who lost out due to a stupid 1 over 8.00 rule. He didn't criticise the club, accepted the decision and is back with the team again this year. I can understand Cookie being so disappointed but some things are best said in private.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aces High said:

Compare that to Kenny last year who lost out due to a stupid 1 over 8.00 rule. He didn't criticise the club, accepted the decision and is back with the team again this year. I can understand Cookie being so disappointed but some things are best said in private.

But Bjerre is a journeyman who has ridden for most PL clubs and he’s used to being in one season and out the next, while Craig has ridden only for Belle Vue and was loyal to them when they were rubbish.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, acef said:

But We don’t know that he was “ touting himself  to the highest bidder’ do we ? 

Maybe it’s just a case of the Aces could build a stronger side without his 7.73 average? ..

doesnt seem the kind of rider who wouldn’t ride for the Aces because of financial demands ..but then again I’ve no proof of that 

Just now, DC2 said:

But Bjerre is a journeyman who has ridden for most PL clubs and he’s used to being in one season and out the next, while Craig has ridden only for Belle Vue and was loyal to them when they were rubbish.

Bjerre would have been very loyal to BV, given the chance. However, some years back, BV decided to build the team around an aging Joe Screen and not the up and coming Kenneth Bjerre. Not Kenneth's choice, but that is what happened. Despite this, he still never said a bad word about the club and was brilliant when he returned to he fold. I am sure his average will go up again riding at the best track in the country, once more.

5 minutes ago, WestGorton1884 said:

But We don’t know that he was “ touting himself  to the highest bidder’ do we ? 

Maybe it’s just a case of the Aces could build a stronger side without his 7.73 average? ..

doesnt seem the kind of rider who wouldn’t ride for the Aces because of financial demands ..but then again I’ve no proof of that 

That depends what circles you move in.

Edited by acef

8 minutes ago, acef said:

That depends what circles you move in.

Quite right , I have no idea the real reason why BV omitted Craig Cook from their 2019 line up 

16 minutes ago, ABS said:

Bjerre would have been very loyal to BV, given the chance. However, some years back, BV decided to build the team around an aging Joe Screen and not the up and coming Kenneth Bjerre. Not Kenneth's choice, but that is what happened. Despite this, he still never said a bad word about the club and was brilliant when he returned to he fold. I am sure his average will go up again riding at the best track in the country, once more.

Fair point.

On the one hand maybe BV did need a freshen up; on the other hand, they’ve dropped a very loyal rider at the peak of his career and gone back to an older one who’s on the wane. For me, loyalty is worth more than squeezing the best average advantage.

Lemon wanted Bjerre over Cook whereas I think we could have had both. The new rule stopping Jack riding at seven didn’t help us but we need to expect these winter rule changes to supper our plans. 

It could have still been done though. 

My heart says keep Cook in the side as he’s a passionate Ace who we’ve watch go from reserve rookie to GP man. 

My head says keep Cook as after a poor year he averaged nearly eight. Once he got the GP monkey off his back and signed in the CL he was back to his best. 

He’ll put a point on his 7.50 starting average and thats what clubs need. 

25 minutes ago, ouch said:

Lemon wanted Bjerre over Cook whereas I think we could have had both. The new rule stopping Jack riding at seven didn’t help us but we need to expect these winter rule changes to supper our plans. 

It could have still been done though. 

Jack's a lovely lad but would we have seriously considered him as a reserve this year? His two seasons in the Premiership have been very poor.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Fair point.

On the one hand maybe BV did need a freshen up; on the other hand, they’ve dropped a very loyal rider at the peak of his career and gone back to an older one who’s on the wane. For me, loyalty is worth more than squeezing the best average advantage.

" loyalty is worth more than squeezing the best average advantage" This is a huge problem within U.K. Speedway that the promoters just don't see! ALL their resources  are channeled into making the play offs, they have to look @ the bigger picture............... 

• Like 1

Two four point reserves if performing to average would score eight points a meeting. 

A four and a two would score 6.5 as the two pointer would only take three rides. 

It’s a net gain of half a point for team building if you follow the latter. 

This is just maths and not my opinion. 

1 minute ago, ouch said:

Two four point reserves if performing to average would score eight points a meeting. 

A four and a two would score 6.5 as the two pointer would only take three rides. 

It’s a net gain of half a point for team building if you follow the latter. 

This is just maths and not my opinion. 

Relies on the two point reserve scoring two points though.