British Speedway Forum
hyderd

Belle Vue 2019

18 minutes ago, Gordon Pairman said:

My comments, though, are not an opinion. They are a statement of facts. 

How the ageing/aged KB chose to tell his side doesn’t matter. We wanted him, we believed he owed it to the fans to show loyalty after all the financial support he got in 2005.

He saw it differently. JC did not, could not influence us, Joe had no say in team building. 

To be honest, we were desperate to get a team, any team, together. Have a look at the starting 1-7 and you’ll see what I mean. I wouldn’t embarrass Joe by suggesting he’d any say in the 2007 team!

Okay. Perhaps he didn’t have as much sway as I suggested but the team was being built around him and Kenneth just didn’t get on with him. That’s basically the top and bottom of it.

When he was talking to Peterborough there was no sign of Jason leaving for Poole. Joe and Jason had, and still have, a very good relationship so you can understand from KBs point of view, why he would want to leave.

Whether you felt he owed us anything is immaterial, 2006 was a poisonous season in terms of broken relationships and as I said above, the time was right.

Whats done is done. It was a long time ago. I’m glad he’s back.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, acef said:

Okay. Perhaps he didn’t have as much sway as I suggested but the team was being built around him and Kenneth just didn’t get on with him. That’s basically the top and bottom of it.

When he was talking to Peterborough there was no sign of Jason leaving for Poole. Joe and Jason had, and still have, a very good relationship so you can understand from KBs point of view, why he would want to leave.

Whether you felt he owed us anything is immaterial, 2006 was a poisonous season in terms of broken relationships and as I said above, the time was right.

Whats done is done. It was a long time ago. I’m glad he’s back.

Even though he’s “ageing”!!

2 minutes ago, Gordon Pairman said:

Even though he’s “ageing”!!

I was the one who mentioned ageing and it was relative to Kenneth's age at the time in 2007 compared to Joe's. Don't see much difference in the three years between Kenneth and Craig, that's all. Kenneth has kept himself fit, despite all of his injuries, as has Craig.

The remaining 5 riders to be revealed tonight

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gordon Pairman said:

If the “some years back” is referring coming in to the 2007 season, you have it entirely wrong. 

When Chris Morton, David Gordon and I bought Belle Vue late on in 2006, we were resssured by BSPA that the other teams had been told to keep their hands off the 2006 team until we had put together a strong 1-7. We already knew that Jason Crump was going to ride for Poole, a deal done during the 2006 season, so needed every rider we could get our hands on. 

Despite the assurances, the then Peterborough promotion defied everyone and signed Bjerre. I remember having a very heated phone conversation on Christmas Eve 2006 with the then BSPA Chairman, Peter Toogood about this but he basically said there’s was nothing that could be done.

Personally, I thought it all a shocking betrayal by the sports’ governing body and the rider. What I considered was particularly bad was that the BV faithful had supported the rider in 2005 after he broke his leg, a break that probably cost BV the league. 

Now, I know that no rider can be forced to ride where he doesn’t want to, but I do believe they need to understand that loyalty is a two way matter.

As a final point, the “ageing Joe Screen” you referred to was 34 during the 2007 season - Kenneth Bjerre will be 35 during 2019

I remember it well and the furore afterwards, to be honest I think loyalty (on both sides) left the building well before 2007.

Bjerre broke his leg and it was too late to replace him for the play offs in 2005. He had a very poor season for Belle Vue in 2006 but the fans were understanding after his bad injury and fully supported him. Without knowing the full circumstances now explained by Gordon Pairman the feeling on the terraces in 2007 was that he had let us down badly after the support he had received in 2006. The rumours were that he and Screen didn't get on, that one of them had to go and that the management decided to keep Screen. At least we now know what actually went on but it was a long time ago.  Bjerre did well for us in 2017 and I am looking forward to seeing him in Aces colours again next year. There's no point bearing grudges about what happened almost 12 years ago and people change anyway as they mature.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 1

There seems to be a move by Belle Vue to provide a more balanced team and use Fricke 8.20, Bewley 7.13 and Bjerre 7.02 as the main three. Steve Worrall 6.16 is like a part of the family and injuries obviously affected this season but would they look at bringing Richie Worrall 5.46 back ? Those five would leave 8.53 for the last two which could be Berge 4.00 and Etheridge 4.33 and give a solid team even if its not eye catching, its affordable.

Are they going to shock us all tonight with a name no one expects ?

Rest of Aces announced : Steve Worrall, Dan Bewley, Jaimon Lidsey, Dimitri Berge, Ricky Wells

• Like 3

Certainly not all doom and gloom!

Massive ask for Dan though, might take him a month or so to get race fit. 

Guessing will be:

Fricke, Wells, Bewley, Worrall, Bjerre, Lindsey and Berge.

Bewley currently in Poland having intensive physio and is now walking and weight bearing on leg.

3 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Bewley currently in Poland having intensive physio and is now walking and weight bearing on leg.

That’s one version......

10 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

That’s one version......

There was a video of him showing us weight bearing and walking 

Quite a strong looking line up , obviously a lot will depend on Dan's fitness and how long it takes Lydsey to settle in 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WestGorton1884 said:

Quite a strong looking line up , obviously a lot will depend on Dan's fitness and how long it takes Lydsey to settle in 

Looks to me like a team that would be strong come play off time if they all stay fit