British Speedway Forum
hyderd

Belle Vue 2019

8 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

Cant see the aces v Swindon topic anymore. 

But this is how NBJ introduced himself to his new home fans. Cracking ride. 

With racing like that so often, Why is the NSS not full every week?

52 minutes ago, 1984Star said:

With racing like that so often, Why is the NSS not full every week?

Last week I was behind someone who had been a regular are Hyde Road. He had  visited the dog track once and decided it was poor entertainment and never been to speedway since. Having heard reports about the racing on offer at the NSS and seen an advert on the front page of the local paper he decided to have a look and brought a friend who had never been to speedway before.  The racing was up to NSS standards, the main meeting was completed in a about 95 minutes and Chase the Ace kept everyone amused during the grading breaks. They both thoroughly enjoyed themselves, stayed to watch the second half Academy races  and left promising to be back for the next meeting. 

The difficult part is to get people like those two to attend  so that they can see what is on offer at the NSS. I am obviously biased but I think a good percentage  would become regulars. 

Unfortunately,  it isn't easy with so many other major sporting and other attractions in the Greater Manchester area competing for the leisure pound. Especially, with very limited resources to spend on advertising. The club is very active on social media and has advertised on local radio and print media. It also uses the Colts, with a £10 entrance fee and free for under 18's,  to try to attract newcomers.  Recent crowds have been better, so maybe it is beginning to work but it is always going be a slow process. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A mate of mine who used to go home and away in the seventies never went to the dog track, a couple of seasons ago he came with me to the NSS for the play off final against Wolves, loved it and now comes to the Colts as well as the Aces, a friend of his who had never been to speedway is now  coming along too, hopefully this is a trend that will continue not just at Belle Vue but throughout speedway.

• Like 3

NBJ announced he will miss the rest of the season.

Currently Etheridge replaces on 28 day contract, when that finishes can that be extended or guests used?

You can still sign if it is for an injured rider?? So would have thought you can just extend Etheridge's contract..

On 8/15/2019 at 8:24 PM, Aces51 said:

The difficult part is to get people like those two to attend  so that they can see what is on offer at the NSS

Given that the "easiest" target audience is the "I used to go" brigade, why don't you advertise the NSS as "You remember how good it was at Hyde Road, well this is better". 

I think it's open to debate, but who cares? As long they come. Then they'll stay.

• Like 3

I could be one of the "easiest target audience" as I used to go regularly to Hyde Road in the 60's and 70's, didnt go much in the 80's and that was it. I went to the Fri/Sat world team in 2016, Friday was useless, Saturday completely opposite. Seen many matches now on TV and agree that NSS is at least equal to Hyde Rd and maybe better.  BUT, as much as I love a good match I hate what has and is going on in UK speedway, lack of unison amongs BSPA to promote good speedway and manage the whole affair fairly. Lots of things really, all been covered here on this forum.  Now a pensioner with limited income, I find it difficult to support even the best track in the UK, because of the said problems.  For now, at least I happy paying BT for the right to see the GPs plus whatever else they serve as speedway, though got to admit not too fussed with what I seen from KL, Petebor, Poole, Ips, Wolv....... leaving Swindon as ok, and BV as fantastic.

Just a thought.  Have you tried going to a Colts match?  They are really good value at £10 and the racing is probably better than seen during most TV matches. Also, watch the 15 year olds progress is heartening. I'd recommend going to the play-offs this year as the crowds are likely to be quite decent.  Hope to see you there!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, coldace said:

Just a thought.  Have you tried going to a Colts match?  They are really good value at £10 and the racing is probably better than seen during most TV matches. Also, watch the 15 year olds progress is heartening. I'd recommend going to the play-offs this year as the crowds are likely to be quite decent.  Hope to see you there!

I can fully endorse that. Brilliant to watch the youngsters develop and some fantastic racing. Excellent value and affordable at £10 with under 18's free. 

• Like 2

Monday the Colts are at home to Mildenhall.  If you go I'd be interested in your impression. Should be a good match, hasn't been any bad ones yet.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 10:02 PM, coldace said:

Monday the Colts are at home to Mildenhall.  If you go I'd be interested in your impression. Should be a good match, hasn't been any bad ones yet.

Will be a good one. The reverse meeting was a narrow Colts win today. I admit it, I have not been to see the Colts at all this season. I will change that next year.

On 8/31/2019 at 5:37 PM, OveFundinFan said:

I could be one of the "easiest target audience" as I used to go regularly to Hyde Road in the 60's and 70's, didnt go much in the 80's and that was it. I went to the Fri/Sat world team in 2016, Friday was useless, Saturday completely opposite. Seen many matches now on TV and agree that NSS is at least equal to Hyde Rd and maybe better.  BUT, as much as I love a good match I hate what has and is going on in UK speedway, lack of unison amongs BSPA to promote good speedway and manage the whole affair fairly. Lots of things really, all been covered here on this forum.  Now a pensioner with limited income, I find it difficult to support even the best track in the UK, because of the said problems.  For now, at least I happy paying BT for the right to see the GPs plus whatever else they serve as speedway, though got to admit not too fussed with what I seen from KL, Petebor, Poole, Ips, Wolv....... leaving Swindon as ok, and BV as fantastic.

If nothing is equal to the NSS then you are in the ultimate position, you don't have to travel very far to see the very best racing (allegedly). Racing is crap everywhere else and you don't have to go !

On 8/31/2019 at 6:25 PM, Aces51 said:

I can fully endorse that. Brilliant to watch the youngsters develop and some fantastic racing. Excellent value and affordable at £10 with under 18's free. 

Totally agree saw young Palin at Swindon the other month with the promising Thompson twins and others and the entertainment level was superb.Would love a few of these young uns to breakthrough and have good speedway careers.The Aces have young Bickley making his way are Palin/Bailey both Aces assets? or does Palin belong to Scunny.?

Edited by Sidney the robin

Palin is a Scunthorpe asset andsI assume that Bailey is a Glasgow asset as he signed for them first.