British Speedway Forum

Beg's the question then, why sign yourself up to 50 year's of payments for stadium usage you may never see out? :unsure:

Also, should both club's expire before their collective time, who's picking up the bill for the shortfall? :(

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lord Lucan said:

Beg's the question then, why sign yourself up to 50 year's of payments for stadium usage you may never see out? :unsure:

Also, should both club's expire before their collective time, who's picking up the bill for the shortfall? :(

Think it best to leave Derwent Park as a stand alone Speedway stadium...maybe even Stock cars could be introduced, considering the much hallowed turf wouldn't need the protection it now receives.....

As for the Soccer and RL clubs 'folding' these are sports that are not, never have been, as 'fly by night' as Speedway always has been....Yes some have fallen by the wayside (before I'm corrected).. but not, nowhere near, as many as there are former Speedway outifits...I've got the book on defunct tracks....it's quite sad actually.

Oh and there have been 7,000 plus crowds for three Scotland RL matches in recent years at Derwent Park....this could be repeated in an 8,000 seater.

Someone quoted Reds current average at just over 300.......yes they are non-league and struggling....but I would bet anyone that if they came up into full League action their crowds would be far superior to anything else at Workington........and I'm both a Townie and Comet fan but believe that would be a fact...

• Like 1

How far are Reds from full League , about two or three divisions ?

Edited by topaz325

21 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

How far are Reds from full League , about two or three divisions ?

The Reds are in Northern Premier lg.. Prem Div....which is 3 levels down from pro League 2 where Cumbrian rivals Carlisle United currently sit.

Edited by singy13

25 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Think it best to leave Derwent Park as a stand alone Speedway stadium...maybe even Stock cars could be introduced, considering the much hallowed turf wouldn't need the protection it now receives.....

As for the Soccer and RL clubs 'folding' these are sports that are not, never have been, as 'fly by night' as Speedway always has been....Yes some have fallen by the wayside (before I'm corrected).. but not, nowhere near, as many as there are former Speedway outifits...I've got the book on defunct tracks....it's quite sad actually.

Oh and there have been 7,000 plus crowds for three Scotland RL matches in recent years at Derwent Park....this could be repeated in an 8,000 seater.

Someone quoted Reds current average at just over 300.......yes they are non-league and struggling....but I would bet anyone that if they came up into full League action their crowds would be far superior to anything else at Workington........and I'm both a Townie and Comet fan but believe that would be a fact...

You don't build a stadium for Scotland internationals tho Singy and, how often will they happen, what do you do if Scotland decided to play in Scotland where are your 8000 crowds for RL coming from then?

I'm looking at the local scene here for sport not the occasional big game involving somebody else, how often will Town fill it with 8000 or Reds that's what I'm saying and, why not address the point I made about the temporary seating, it can be done so a triple sport stadium could be built and if one or more fall by the wayside it's still usable in some form? :)

What I don't appreciate is this nonsense of buying into the ground for 50 year's before your in and what's to say that neither football or rugby won't fold up in this town before the time's up, time's are changing, low level sport isn't that popular for the leisure pound thesedays so it's folly to suggest that just coz it hasn't happened before it "couldn't" happen in the future? :unsure:

I personally think that the time for new stadia was 25yrs ago with Town around and in SL, that revamp proposed back then would have rendered this development irrelevant as it was just modernising what was there, the chance came and went and we are now where we are?

It would be a nice option to preserve the ground for the Speedway but, I think the council may want their pound of flesh from the sale of the land rather than letting Motorsport have it, time will tell and probably sooner rather than later? ;)

15 minutes ago, Lord Lucan said:

I'm looking at the local scene here for sport not the occasional big game involving somebody else, how often will Town fill it with 8000 or Reds that's what I'm saying and, why not address the point I made about the temporary seating, it can be done so a triple sport stadium could be built and if one or more fall by the wayside it's still usable in some form? :)

Derwent Park has only been filled once since opening in 1956.......1965 for a Wigan cup tie ...17,741.

So filling on a regular basis not gonna happen........yes I agree temp seats might just work for a triple sports solution....but who are we to say?

I see Town are right now asking for volunteers to help clean up/paint/etc at Derwent Park.......maybe, hopefully, the new stadium will be further away on the horizon than first mooted?

15 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Derwent Park has only been filled once since opening in 1956.......1965 for a Wigan cup tie ...17,741.

So filling on a regular basis not gonna happen........yes I agree temp seats might just work for a triple sports solution....but who are we to say?

I see Town are right now asking for volunteers to help clean up/paint/etc at Derwent Park.......maybe, hopefully, the new stadium will be further away on the horizon than first mooted?

One thing's for sure Singy, 50yrs time won't see either of us around to point the finger and say "I told you so" :D

2 minutes ago, Lord Lucan said:

One thing's for sure Singy, 50yrs time won't see either of us around to point the finger and say "I told you so" :D

Ha, ha,....that's for sure...............but hey many great memories of good old DP.......back in 1970 I would never have dreamt of watching my speedway team do a treble....and as I've said before I was one of those 17,741..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Ha, ha,....that's for sure...............but hey many great memories of good old DP.......back in 1970 I would never have dreamt of watching my speedway team do a treble....and as I've said before I was one of those 17,741..

Deffo, not much success but a lot of good times!! :t:

1 hour ago, singy13 said:

I don't know about Town asking for any volunteers, however, it would not surprise me if the new stadium plans are just that. With the news that Toshiba are pulling out of the proposed Moorside build, it would not surprise me if the new stadium plans get shelved to.

Edited by Gismo

3 hours ago, Lord Lucan said:

council tax payers !

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jenga said:

council tax payers !

Do you think they'll still have that in 50yrs J? :D

i have a good few hundred  litres of paint they can use . its  sorta redish . well pink really .

as robbie williams said.  youre the 1 ..

6 minutes ago, Lord Lucan said:

Do you think they'll still have that in 50yrs J? :D

i will put a bet on it . you can pay me in 50yrs time . lol.

• Like 1