British Speedway Forum

19 hours ago, Carlislecomet2 said:

I understood that Jake Allen was a Somerset asset.

Are you saying he was offered a deal by a third party by any chance. I presume his parent club would have the first option to secure his services, presumably they didn't want him or couldn't fit him in.

Pardon my ignorance on such matters but could someone be so kind as to explain how the asset system works in speedway as it has never made any sense to me. I would have thought that it be better that speedway riders  be classed as self employed (presumably most are and negotiate new contracts each year), or had central contracts with say the BSPA.

Congratulations for securing his services for 2019 by the way, as he was one of the best riders I saw last season. Hopefully you will have an injury free year this time round.

As far as I am aware, Jake Allen is a Somerset asset.

After signing for us at the tail end of 2017, he was approached by a club to sign for them in '18 but he said that Scunthorpe gave him a chance in the PL so wanted to stay in 2018.

After a great season in '18, he was, again, approached to sign for a club in '19 on which he again said no to stay at Scunthorpe.

The dates of when he was approached, I do not know, but he was approached as will most riders.

As regarding the asset system, I have seen it here & in the SS where a riders parent club, ie the one owning his registration, has 1st choice. It then goes to his last club he rode for & if they don't need him he then becomes open to offers but a club approaching him has to ask his parent club & last club before directly talking to the rider.

But, as have known before, not just last year but previous years, rules are broken or manipulated.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Our final TWO signings for 2019 will be announced TONIGHT at 5pm. 

Must be one of the quickest team signings we have had in recent years ? 

Wish them both well simon wouldnt have been my first choice i think he has reached his level , as for josh he has some big scores in aussie in a good lineup so will wait and see !!

Saw josh ride at sheiffield top gun meeting he will put bums on seats rides very very loose lol if you know what I mean 

Edited by mac101

A good, well balanced team again in my opinion. Steve was on top of his game before his injury and will hopefully get back there as his confidence improves, Tero is a real trier who could easily continue to improve again this year, BWD performed really well for us at the start of last season when standing in for Mason scoring good points home  and away, Mason had a terrific season last year and had to be back after showing his commitment to the cause, Simon can score big points particularly on the bigger tracks, Kyle will continue to improve and should be one of the better 2 pointers this year, and Josh who I admit I don't know anything about, but that is in itself is exciting and I look forward to see how he goes around DP - the fact he is good pals with Mason should help him settle.

As last season, we wont be one of the more fancied teams, but hey, bring it on, and see where it takes us.

• Like 2

Wow, I can not for the life of me understand why we have signed Simon Lambert? Any one seen his away average last season? 

An absolute shocking signing. 

Sorry but it can't be defended. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Midget said:

Wow, I can not for the life of me understand why we have signed Simon Lambert? Any one seen his away average last season? 

Its all down to that word average

as laura said , its a shame the team was leaked . but thats the power of social media . the world is not a big union as it used  to be ....  news, , good or bad travels fast and there is no way of keeping a secret anymore . things can even be dragged up from the past now and all it take is a peep on the computer ..

the  bad bit of the speedway world are the one who tell their mates and before you know it , its out .

on a positive side , at least Laura can look forward to an easy ish festive Chrimbo and new year .

on a personal note , i would like to wish all comets fans and  fans from other tracks a merry New year and a happy Christmas . hic . tic .:drink:

will jacko regrow his hair or have a transplant? , will Steve Whitehead have to buy a bigger suit after the festive season .(do they make them that big ) ?

will  i ever put a sensible post on here ? ( naa , cant . see that ) 

to all the very north /westerly foreign fans ,will they go go into meltdown again ?

thanks to LAURA AGAIN for providing us with a sport to follow .

better stop now , feel like T.H.J. with a war n peace  post . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Midget said:

We need to give him a chance, with BP averaged about 6.5 at home and 3.5 away last season.  He was popular the last time he rode for us, and both of his teams finished top of the league last season.

He certainly wasn’t the worst signing on a 4 point average today, I think Birmingham take that accolade.

Think that Josh Mac will be a star once he gets going, scored 12 out of 15 in a very competitive NSW state championship recently with Heat Wins against Sam Masters and Brady Kurtz, we can’t expect too much early on but starting at reserve will be a big help.

• Like 4

I agree totally with you on S Lambert I know the league is weaker this season but he is not going to improve any now is he ?

He won't be at reserve and the worry is that neither will BWD and Mason either they are going to have to earn there keep riding in the top 5.

I'm not to confident just how well these lads will do riding in the top 5 from the start with only Steve an out and out heat leader. I know Tero was a cheat leader last year but that was in a very poor Newcastle team.