British Speedway Forum

Seems to be a tradition in speedway, win the league and close down. Sorry for the riders and supporters.

DEVASTATED.......but maybe not 100% surprised...I was gonna post last night following my visit to Derwent Park yesterday to watch Town v Haven...I'm possibly one of the few who support both Comets and Town?

Anyway what got me worried re Comets was when the guys I always stand with at Town matches were in unison with a story re the proposed new stadium and it's side effects.

They said the Workington 'Reds' AFC are due to move to Derwent Park for their 2019/20 season. BUT the Derwent Park pitch area is less than what the FA require for soccer matches...I kind of took their comments with a pinch of salt, given that none of them support the Speedway, and as always they liked to spread doom and gloom re Comets.

But last night I started thinking if 'Reds' do need a bigger playing surface by August 2019 what will happen to the speedway track? It would mean work, i.e. taking some of the track, would need to commence during the Summer - June/July?. So if the 'Reds' story is correct speedway was gonna be ousted anyway.?

As I said those Townie 'doom merchants' have made me think it may not be just a financial issue that has seen Comets demise? Any thoughts ?????

oh so sad to hear that workington will not be coming to the tapes in 19 . from 1970 onwards i  attended the sport @ workington and it has given myself and others on  many Friday  and Saturday nights extreme pleasure . god luck to all concerned in the future . it will be a miss not just to workington supporters , but to the speedway world in general . 

1 minute ago, jenga said:

oh so sad to hear that workington will not be coming to the tapes in 19 . from 1970 onwards i  attended the sport @ workington and it has given myself and others on  many Friday  and Saturday nights extreme pleasure . god luck to all concerned in the future . it will be a miss not just to workington supporters , but to the speedway world in general . 

And often Sundays in the 70's Jenga........I'll never forget beating big league Ipswich and Kings Lynn in 1976.......happy days.

Gutted for all concerned with the from promoters fans and especially the riders who thought they had secured jobs. 

This is terrible news.

If only the speedway doom-and-gloomers had just shut up, and I am termed as one of them, then last season's treble winners would still be alive. If a successful club goes to the wall that carried all before it only four months since... Stop covering your ears and burying your heads.

Clubs are here one minute, gone the next. Riders can't commit to one team, fans can't relate to the team because of it. The sport is stuck in a crisis. It proves once again, supporters don't know from one week to the next whether the team they put every emotion behind will be around, never mind what it sends out.

Next winter's promoters' AGM can't come quickly enough.

Revealing that the black is being withdrawn from yellow helmet covers could have been held back as next winter's big news. Nothing else really changes.

Feel desperately sorry for the fans and riders at workington. After years of threats of closure it's finally happened, and probably at the least expected time... You'd think after a treble winning season the place would be absolutely buzzing with fans old and new? Surely this should have been the basis to build a new fan base and gather lots of momentum from a massively successful season?

Evidently something very wrong from October to now. But if there was any suggestion that Workington couldn't run the season, then they never should have set up with the intention. It's not fair on the fans, the riders or quite frankly, the other teams that have set out their stall for the season ahead. I do hope Workington are back next season in some capacity but I think it'll take someone with very deep pockets to get them up and running again.

Gutted for you all, the riders signed and British speedway.I don't think you will be on your own over the next few years. I don't think there is a club in the land that can rest easy the way things are my mind set is that I am just going to enjoy it while/if it lasts and get as many meetings in as I can.

All I can add is that you went out in a BLAZE OF GLORY with a season long to remember.

18 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Be very sad is Mason gets stuck without a visa / doesn't come back. Not sure what position that leave Josh MacDonald in either? Im guessing some items will have been purchased already, the whole thing has a knock on effect as many of these riders will get fixed up elsewhere at the expense of an already signed rider.

Very, very sad news.......like a death in the family of Speedway. So sorry for all supporters, riders and everyone else involved.

Mildly tweaking the product at the conference didn't go far enough......MAJOR changes are required in respect of the financial viability of our sport to prevent further future closures....but it has all been said before and fallen on deaf ears.

Such sad news that the Comets won`t be with us in 2019  fingers crossed for a return to the sport in 2020

The promotion should never have declared they were running until the said money was in the bank,you can`t run on promises sadly,terrible news for the riders signed up

Seems the promotion have suffered huge personnal loses over the last few years,that not good to hear at all and id imagine many running the sport in the Uk have suffered the same,maybe we should all think twice before slagging promontions off in the future and show some respect as what they do does provide us with our entertainment

im not sure the answers to speedways problems,can balme the BSPA/PROMOTIONS all we want but folk just doent seem to want to go to speedway these days

Shambolic is the word to describe this whole episode . Feel for the riders signed who will have invested in machinery etc , hope they get fixed up if possible . As for Workington speedway what were the crowds last year and had a break even figure ever been announced for the coming season ?

I feel we as supporters aren’t hearing the full story of the closure 

A lot has been said of the merging of the football and rugby league clubs into one stadium , Was Workington Speedway part of this merger in the future  I think no and this is why the Comets won’t be coming to the tapes in April  . As an owner who has run it as a loss this season as Laura has asked for investors to help and no one has come forward I believe this is a get out clause . Surprisingly Rob Godfrey hasn’t been blamed yet for the demise by the comets fans  , believe me as a Hull Viking supporter once the gates are locked on you it’s so much harder to reform in the future  . So one last call if you are a speedway fan support your local side to the best of your ability as you don’t know what’s around the corner