British Speedway Forum

very sad to hear of the comets demise .... gutting for all concerned

and unfortunately the fate of a successful team !! - higher wages paid not matched by increase in gate receipts ......

must say .. last time I was there in 2017 I was shocked at how low the crowd was.... especially from the glory days of stonehewer and the much larger crowds which every team was envious of

hopefully u rejoin in 2020 .... fingers crossed

So sorry to read the news - feel for all involved, from the owner to the riders and fans

It is sad news, I loved The Comics coming to Berwick.   On the question of investment, no businessman or woman would knowingly invest in a bad investment and speedway is a bad investment.

INVESTMENT is the wrong heading, CHARITABLE DONATION  would be more apt

• Like 1

What can I add to all that has been said already? :(

Enjoyed a group of Workington supporters standing by us year-on-year at the Oak Tree Arena to support your representatives in the Premier League Riders Championship as it was then.  Very vocal and were suitably rewarded as they were always there or thereabouts.

All that success last year just counts for nothing.

You would of thought extra supporters and sponsors would be gained.

Really feel for Workington supporters who have gone from success to no team?

Only in Speedway.:nono:

All this nonsense about the License to be put on Ice, Let’s get one thing right the current promotion will never be allowed to hold a Promoters Licence again all there Rider asset will be taken off them, It’s the cardinal sin to withdraw from the League after the AGM,

Unfortunately this is the end of Workington Speedway  

Deeply deeply saddened indeed by this announcement.  Has enough been done to try and raise enough to mitigate against the expected losses that would be incurred next season? well there has certainly been no figures produced about the sums that may be needed and the possibility of an appeal to fans and the wider public such as what helped save the Monarchs. To the parties that pledged financial backing all I can say is where is your integrity, words are indeed cheap.

Speedway is in deep trouble, currently it's a mickey mouse setup which is a huge shame because it is deserving of so much better. What other supposedly professional sport would have no prize money for winning the league/major trophies, with the clubs having to pay for their own medals. Then to add insult to injury fine the winning club £3000 for not completing its final fixture at the 3rd legitimate attempt thereby compounding the losses already incurred.

The AGM instigated nothing that will reduce the costs of the sport to the riders or increase the entertainment/value for money to fans.

I love speedway but it is in serious need of a blood transfusion if it is to stay alive.

Up the Comets.

Edited by SteelShoe
  • Like 3

It's a sad situation. I feel desperately sorry for the riders who had committed and the loyal fans who have watched speedway in Cumbria for years. To the true fans it will leave a big hole in their lives. I know how much I would miss if the sport was lost in Newcastle which could easily be the case. I suppose the annoying thing is why did Workington commit to running when it was obvious there was financial problems as was stated. You can't gamble and hope the financial clout comes along later. I honestly don't know what the fix is to entice supporters through the turnstiles. Is it cost? or lack of entertainment? Just hope no other clubs go the same way and Workington can be up and running I  the near future. Although I think once closed down it's even harder to start again. Here's hoping.

Could be the first of many. With so many people opting to keep their hard earned money in their pockets, this could be the season that breaks speedways back. After losing Lakeside and Rye last year, my enthusiasm couldn't be lower. I bet Eastbourne and Birmingham are wondering what they have commited to.

4 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Could be the first of many. With so many people opting to keep their hard earned money in their pockets, this could be the season that breaks speedways back. After losing Lakeside and Rye last year, my enthusiasm couldn't be lower. I bet Eastbourne and Birmingham are wondering what they have commited to.

Sadly you could be spot on.

To lose Lakeside,Rye and now Workington in a short space of time is very very worrying.

3 minutes ago, blueherb777 said:

Sadly you could be spot on.

To lose Lakeside,Rye and now Workington in a short space of time is very very worrying.

And the grass roots of British speedway in also losing Buxton . 

2 minutes ago, bigred said:

And the grass roots of British speedway in also losing Buxton . 

Yes,I should of also  said Buxton.

Sorry :blink:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, SteelShoe said:

Deeply deeply saddened indeed by this announcement.  Has enough been done to try and raise enough to mitigate against the expected losses that would be incurred next season? well there has certainly been no figures produced about the sums that may be needed and the possibility of an appeal to fans and the wider public such as what helped save the Monarchs. To the parties that pledged financial backing all I can say is where is your integrity, words are indeed cheap.

Speedway is in deep trouble, currently it's a mickey mouse setup which is a huge shame because it is deserving of so much better. What other supposedly professional sport would have no prize money for winning the league/major trophies, with the clubs having to pay for their own medals. Then to add insult to injury fine the winning club £3000 for not completing its final fixture at the 3rd legitimate attempt thereby compounding the losses already incurred.

The AGM instigated nothing that will reduce the costs of the sport to the riders or increase the entertainment/value for money to fans.

I love speedway but it is in serious need of a blood transfusion if it is to stay alive.

Up the Comets.

Do you know for a fact that Workington were fined £3000 for non-fulfilment of fixtures? If so, does this also apply to Mildenhall, Coventry & Buxton.