British Speedway Forum

3 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Didn't Laura help out Edinburgh with a rather large cheque once?? If so maybe she could ask for some help back

No chance. Had the shoes originally been on the opposite foot no money would have changed hands.

You can make a small fortune out of speedway but you have to start with a large one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, comet49 said:

He was losing money too, unlikely to want to lose more..

Good old ian thomas in his book talking about newcastle said "its not nice getting up in the morn knowing u are going to lose a £1000 " i am sure laura done everything possible be interesting to know who let her down !

So many memories as a 12 yr old going to the first meeting in 1970 to taking my children and grandchildren making friends with people who stood near us on the first corner i hope all is not lost forever to all promoters over the years a massive thank you .

Unfortunately  nowadays most Clubs rely on Sponsors and Supporters pouring in money just to stay afloat,it can’t go on forever.! Feel sorry for Laura Morgan but that’s Speedway these days.As I have said before Personaly I think the racing at Workington is entertaining but crowds have disappeared,the money is just not about  for the admission prices IMO.

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

Unfortunately  nowadays most Clubs rely on Sponsors and Supporters pouring in money just to stay afloat,it can’t go on forever.! Feel sorry for Laura Morgan but that’s Speedway these days.As I have said before Personaly I think the racing at Workington is entertaining but crowds have disappeared,the money is just not about  for the admission prices IMO.

Their is plenty of money just look at the bus loads that go to watch football in manchester liverpool and others on saturdays !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocket007 said:

Do you know for a fact that Workington were fined £3000 for non-fulfilment of fixtures? If so, does this also apply to Mildenhall, Coventry & Buxton.

Yes we were fined despite our fixture against Coventry being rained off twice and then unable to get any response from Mick Horton to rearrange.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Disagree.  There is more money about for discretionary spend by people these days than ever before - just look at how many people have cars and eat out & takeaways nowadays.  There are just not enough who know about or want to watch what speedway offers.  Clubs need to budget and this may force riders to become part-time but it's needed otherwise more tracks will close.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Their is plenty of money just look at the bus loads that go to watch football in manchester liverpool and others on saturdays !

I’ve always followed football but have gone off it a bit, too much hype. People are led to believe it actually matters. It’s a game, end off, but of course it’s good to win. People hating other teams, violence, crazy. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jayne said:

Yes we were fined despite our fixture against Coventry being rained off twice and then unable to get any response from Mick Horton to rearrange.

No point fineing Mick Horton he won’t pay it anyway .he wants to start by paying riders owed money 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Disagree.  There is more money about for discretionary spend by people these days than ever before - just look at how many people have cars and eat out & takeaways nowadays.  There are just not enough who know about or want to watch what speedway offers.  Clubs need to budget and this may force riders to become part-time but it's needed otherwise more tracks will close.

I think the value for money is  a factor these days,and agree regarding Clubs needing to budget ,they are paying riders more than they can afford in a lot of cases.The chickens are coming home to roost as far as riders wages are concerned.

28 minutes ago, Jayne said:

How much were you fined in relation to Workington, and do you know if Mildenhall & Coventry were also fined? Mick Horton should never be allowed near a Speedway track again.

• Like 1

Yes a very sad day for comets and fans but to be honest not totally unexpected with over a six figure loss last year,

thanks to Laura for the last 6 years, as without her we would not have been able to say 3 times champions, at least I have seen us win the league after 48 years supporting the comets

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

not sure there is no money about at all,go to most places on a weekend and they are rammed with folk spending

folk just dont go to speedway these days,why?     ,im not sure

• Like 2

Real shame about Workington , I’m sure they were about when Canterbury were going , but think, they won three trophies, if they had scored less points, wouldn’t have won anything, but paid out a lot less on points money, == more money in the pot ,     Just saying, !

• Like 1