British Speedway Forum

Talk on other chat rooms that it’s the Bspa to blame or the Scb,  I simply don’t get that, Speedway is in a mess in Britain and yet clubs all over Britain have been offering deals to riders they can’t afford . Why , in the hope attendances will rise,

90% of riders will take the best deal going and can you blame them, no 

Getting success by winning your league costs clubs a fortune and almost crippled Glasgow after 2011,

so what’s the answer, if there is one, if you have a poor team some fans stay away. Success equals more wages.

If a football team ie Bolton Wandereres have debt and can’t pay there wages do there fans blame the FA, no

I feel very sorry for the genuine Workington fans who have lost there team, they along with Laura must be devastated.

You cut the points limit even more and people will stop going or do you keep it the same and lose a couple of clubs every year

I think a big problem in speedway is the lack of coverage in tv and press, publicity, league tables etc. That could get some interested, pen pictures and some info about riders in the British Champioship in the press. The way it is is run though it’s not surprising there is a lack of coverage. 

Edited by comet49
Missing words

21 minutes ago, comet49 said:

I think a big problem in speedway is the lack of coverage in tv and press, publicity, league tables etc. That could get some interested, pen pictures and some info about riders in the British Champioship in the press. The way it is is run though it’s not surprising there is a lack of coverage. 

Rest assured they'll no doubt be a lengthy feature of the comets demise on the local itv news channel,practically nothing when running how ironic

• Like 1

Feel sorry for all you Workington fans having just gone through the same thing with Lakeside shutting down I know exactly how you feel. I hope it’s not the end and you can come to tapes next season.

3 hours ago, Argos said:

All this nonsense about the License to be put on Ice, Let’s get one thing right the current promotion will never be allowed to hold a Promoters Licence again all there Rider asset will be taken off them, It’s the cardinal sin to withdraw from the League after the AGM,

Unfortunately this is the end of Workington Speedway  

Not necessarily. It would depend on whether they had any outstanding debts (i.e. riders wages, etc.) I would have thought. If they were up to date with the required payments at the end of last season then there is no reason why the promoters shouldn't be allowed to run next year, or even transfer the license to another track. They wouldn't be the first to move because they couldn't afford to run at their current stadium. Whether they were right to declare that they were running at the AGM is another matter. Newcastle were in a similar situation last year and, it would appear, made a 'conditional' declaration to run, and didn't sign anyone until the finances were in position to run, which is why they had a team of ,supposedly, no hopers. On reflection this would appear to have been the best way to do it, as there are now seven riders out of a job at the start of the season as all the championship teams are complete. 

Feel so sad for the supporters ( the few who are left as there obviously weren't enough of you), and the riders.

• Like 1

Sad to see today's news coming out of Workington though after rumours of money troubles in recent times it probably shouldn't come as a huge surprise. I feel for Laura Morgan and the rest of the promotion, the numerous volunteers who kept speedway alive in the town and of course the fans who have seen their team win everything last season to now not being able to defend their title.

Well never  thought I would see it when my beloved Workington comets close I have been going since the first meeting on 20th March 1999 in this time I have seen some of the best riders from future World champions to the best elite and premier of all time and been to some awesome tracks supporting the comets I have made some great friends and even  down there when the late Ian Thomas was in charge speedway is one the best sports ever but it doesn't get the coverage it deserves  especially on border news and look north the only time we get coverage is if we have a injury alot has to be said about the bspa they are determined to ruin the sport and will if they don't sort things now they say the prices can't come down but I stil have the flyer for the first season in 1999 and the prices for were  7.50 for adults now I do understand stuff goes up and prices go up a lot of people I no said to me it should be £10 an I do agree if it can't be put at £10 then maybe look at it been £13 Ithe bspa need to promote the sport get the coverage it needs if riders demand to much and clubs can't pay  what they ask maybe we should look at bringing in a pay cap   and putting the points average back to 45 and doing a deal with bt or sky where every team in prem/championship gets at least one meeting on TV a season the big meetings in the championship need to be on TV not just prem cause prem racing is boring some times bspa rip the book up and start again and help clubs before it to late I for one am going miss speedway so much and don't no what gona do no it gone as I've been going to it for that long I really do hope that comets come back next season but I can't see it for me this is the end  and sad will not hear the gorgeous sound of bikes revving up and smell of methonal 

3 hours ago, rocket007 said:

Do you know for a fact that Workington were fined £3000 for non-fulfilment of fixtures? If so, does this also apply to Mildenhall, Coventry & Buxton.

Yes Workington were fined £3k for not completing the Lakeside fixture and lodged an appeal against the decision which cost £100 quid was rejected so they will be making a final appeal against this decision (another £100 quid) in the coming weeks on the grounds that Dan Bewley was injured in the first abandoned meeting then the BSPA pulled the second meeting as it was on a Friday (FFS) (that may be the other way round) then the 3rd meeting a double header was rained off following a downpour one hour before tapes up when everyone was ready to go and the 4th meeting couldn't continue due to a frozen track  on the last day of the regular season and it was stated that Workington hadn't done enough to get the meeting completed

4 hours ago, Argos said:

All this nonsense about the License to be put on Ice, Let’s get one thing right the current promotion will never be allowed to hold a Promoters Licence again all there Rider asset will be taken off them, It’s the cardinal sin to withdraw from the League after the AGM,

Unfortunately this is the end of Workington Speedway  

You are incorrect, you can "Ice" a licence after the AGM (but before the season starts) without being penalised however it comes at a cost. The licence could have been put on "Ice" prior to the AGM for free however doing it now will cot another £5k.

The scenario you describe is correct if you fold in the regular season having commenced your fixture list. Laura will be able to get her bond back and sell her assets by doing this now; which offers some protection; it also give the chance to get all of the financial commitments in order to meet the various criteria set by the BSPA

Gutted does not come near

Regards
THJ

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Yes Workington were fined £3k for not completing the Lakeside fixture and lodged an appeal against the decision which cost £100 quid was rejected so they will be making a final appeal against this decision (another £100 quid) in the coming weeks on the grounds that Dan Bewley was injured in the first abandoned meeting then the BSPA pulled the second meeting as it was on a Friday (FFS) (that may be the other way round) then the 3rd meeting a double header was rained off following a downpour one hour before tapes up when everyone was ready to go and the 4th meeting couldn't continue due to a frozen track  on the last day of the regular season and it was stated that Workington hadn't done enough to get the meeting completed

You are incorrect, you can "Ice" a licence after the AGM (but before the season starts) without being penalised however it comes at a cost. The licence could have been put on "Ice" prior to the AGM for free however doing it now will cot another £5k

The duplicity of the BSPA general and Rob Godfrey in particular knows no bounds. My utmost sympathy to Worky fans. It was Godfreys interference in the fixture list that created the problem.You can bet your bottom dollar that if Scunthorpe were in Workys situation acw@y round it would have been found. Still more money in the BSPA coffers and another promoter who loves the sport forced out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

You are incorrect, you can "Ice" a licence after the AGM (but before the season starts) without being penalised however it comes at a cost. The licence could have been put on "Ice" prior to the AGM for free however doing it now will cot another £5k.

The scenario you describe is correct if you fold in the regular season having commenced your fixture list. Laura will be able to get her bond back and sell her assets by doing this now; which offers some protection; it also give the chance to get all of the financial commitments in order to meet the various criteria set by the BSPA

Regards
THJ

Think it shows up the BSPA for what they are,how can they fine Workington for not competing their fixture given their circumstances at the end of the season.You cannot say they didn’t try.Total Joke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe bluster can buy every track in the country, to ensure the sport limps along for another couple of years.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The published accounts of the owners would indicate that in the 3 years 2015 - 2016 losses were £37k, £37k and £32k, and if 2018 was a 3 figure sum then that’s a lot of money to wave goodbye to.

I’ve no idea of sponsorship sums, but looking at their accounts, the main team sponsor has considerable resources. I’m not saying they should cover the losses but it’s a shame that a business plan couldn’t be put together to provide financial support.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards
THJ

Coventry were fined for 2 meetings £6k according to MH and the money was to be taken from his bond and what was left was meant to go to the riders that were dew wages for tyres fuel oil that was in their contract for a good few meetings but don’t think they will get a penny from the BSPA  Coventry speedway has been liquidated according to MH

Could worky not have sold some of their  assets to cover some of there losses to run rather than them going into the BSPA pot 

Edited by mac101
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, rocket007 said:

Do you know for a fact that Workington were fined £3000 for non-fulfilment of fixtures? If so, does this also apply to Mildenhall, Coventry & Buxton.

YES IT WAS !!!!!

4 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Their is plenty of money just look at the bus loads that go to watch football in manchester liverpool and others on saturdays !

Some of their drivers are a bit iffy though ! :unsure:

• Haha 1