British Speedway Forum

Hindsight is a lovely thing but if the catering had been a bit better in the cafe on bend 2 that could have been the diffrence between loss and profit !

Sad day for many Workington fans and Speedway fans in general, in my opinion Workington was one of the better tracks to watch and race Speedway in the country.

Feel sorry for the riders as well, many have invested and planned for Championship racing in 2019, some like Wilson Dean and Worrall have the Premier League to fall back on but must have budgeted for Championship income as well.

Unfortunately it was just a matter of time before the plug was pulled after many years of falling attendances.

Once its gone its gone.

Started going to Derwent Park in 1978 when my brother in law took myself and my brother along and have stood on the second bend ever since (apart from the break from the mid eighties to 1999), the noise, the smell, the speed , oh and the weekly pie and oxo.:)

Och well its Glasgow , Belle Vue, the odd trip to Cardiff and a few European GP,s now.

Give us a "C".

I wish you well.

Edited by topaz325
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, mac101 said:

Coventry were fined for 2 meetings £6k according to MH and the money was to be taken from his bond and what was left was meant to go to the riders that were dew wages for tyres fuel oil that was in their contract for a good few meetings but don’t think they will get a penny from the BSPA  Coventry speedway has been liquidated according to MH

Could worky not have sold some of their  assets to cover some of there losses to run rather than them going into the BSPA pot 

NL bond is not £6K so not sure how that was ever going to work.

25 minutes ago, Jayne said:

That’s what the riders have been told and Neil Vatcher now dealing with the riders 

1 minute ago, mac101 said:

That’s what the riders have been told and Neil Vatcher now dealing with the riders 

It would make more sense to pay the riders first and then hold on to whatever is left to pay the fine with any balance needing to be paid before another promoting licence is issued. 

• Like 4

It’s speedway if everything was done right it would be the most exciting sport out there 

• Like 1

There will be no more speedway in Workington this putting on ice is just a way of avoiding the worst.

As for our main sponsors I've been told they put no real money at all into the speedway. There sponsorship is to provide the equipment and tractors to do the track each week. 

I was hoping they would stand aside this season and then hopefully a new team sponsor would come in with a few quid to help Laura out.

Real shame for the riders but most will get a shot at another club as soon as the first month of the season is in. A couple especially Bickley and Worrall will be signed by another club before the season starts trust me.

Really thought that someone or some company would have came in and not allowed this to happen.

Gutted like so many other fans.

• Like 1

As a Rye fan i feel for comets fans, Derwent park was the only pl track i didn't get to with Rye - hopefully you will ride again in 2020 (unlike us until certain people sell up)

If Laura sold up  to a buyer before the season started ,would the Comets be allowed back in to League.Just asking!

1 hour ago, Jayne said:

Perhaps Mr Horton’s bond was a higher figure due to previous shortcomings ?

1 hour ago, mac101 said:

Coventry were fined for 2 meetings £6k according to MH and the money was to be taken from his bond and what was left was meant to go to the riders that were dew wages for tyres fuel oil that was in their contract for a good few meetings but don’t think they will get a penny from the BSPA  Coventry speedway has been liquidated according to MH

Could worky not have sold some of their  assets to cover some of there losses to run rather than them going into the BSPA pot 

1 hour ago, Jayne said:

39 minutes ago, mac101 said:

No one should believe anything they're told by Mick Horton. He's a man devoid of any principles /morals.

• Like 3

The day we all expected but hoped would never come. Extremely heartbroken, not just for fans and riders, but for Laura and family who as a fellow fan, put everything into the club for the last 6 years. Along with THJ and everyone that contributed to keeping the comets alive. Comets fans will forever be grateful. 

Memories of all the trips away, that feeling of winning the treble, the friends made and love we have for Workington speedway will last a lifetime. :(

Up the Comets :t:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mac101 said:

Coventry were fined for 2 meetings £6k according to MH and the money was to be taken from his bond and what was left was meant to go to the riders that were due wages for tyres fuel oil that was in their contract for a good few meetings but don’t think they will get a penny from the BSPA  Coventry speedway has been liquidated according to MH

Their assets won't go into the BSPA pot...

With putting the licence on ice they retain their assets and bond. If a club close down correctly rather than collapsing they can get cash back...

Worky had arranged the sale of one of their riders at the back end of last season however this was blocked by the BSPA as they felt it left Workington light on assets... as a club is required to have a certain value of assets on their books...

If the club don't run next year Laura can still sell the assets she has on the books... 

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 1

So rather than the BSPA letting  them sell a rider to maybe pay debt and help keep the club afloat and maybe help them run this year they blocked it oft