British Speedway Forum

Just now, Tsunami said:

Worky weren't at the AGM either were they.

Yes, that's the daft part about it outstanding debts and allowed at the AGM but not at a fixture meeting??? i suppose if they'd stuck to the constitution there wouldn't have been an AGM. I don't know if they voted.

47 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

Yes, that's the daft part about it outstanding debts and allowed at the AGM but not at a fixture meeting??? i suppose if they'd stuck to the constitution there wouldn't have been an AGM. I don't know if they voted.

47 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

It's a very sad day for Comets and British Speedway....are there more to follow..?

1 hour ago, Byker Biker said:

Yes that's correct and the loan fees will go into the pot but this is a cash flow situation that will be resolved but not in time to start the season. The members who refused fixtures last season, withdrew Friday fixtures and allowed the finals all to be run in just over a week need to take a long hard look at themselves. Plenty of clubs owe money but this isn't the first hiccup at Workington that has taken a while to sort, if the BSPA want to try and retain a shred of respect they will allow them to put the licence on ice until the cash flow situation is resolved. It didn't help matters that the rest of the league met last week to agree fixtures and Workington was excluded from that meeting so even if they did come to the tapes in 2019 they'd get the rse end of the fixtures. In my opinion the responsibility for the decision not to run lies with the sport as a whole and not just Laura, "There by the grace of God go I" should have been on every Promoter's lips this morning just like "chuck her under a bus" was last week! (allegedly of course)

Loan fees are not due until the season starts so any loan riders that Workington had signed for 2019 will just revert back to the clubs that own them and will now be available for loan again for the 2019 season.

2 hours ago, mac101 said:

Will they need to pay all  the debt  back before they can run again  or will it come from their bond I take it the riders from last year are still owed money also then as that’s where most of the money goes these days 

They will have to clear their debts, to assure the BSPA they are viable to run again in the future. 

3 hours ago, Fromafar said:

If Laura sold up  to a buyer before the season started ,would the Comets be allowed back in to League.Just asking!

She has already stated in as many words, that no buyer has come forward.  And can you really see the BSPA allowing such a move, when it involves ANYTHING that might just possibly HELP Workington Speedway Club ? :rolleyes:

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Sotonian said:

Does this affect Northside too or is that an independent operation?

I think Northside track is now closed down ?  There hasnt been anything mentioned about any activities there for some time. Unless anyone knows to the contrary ? 

5 minutes ago, A.N.Other said:

I think Northside track is now closed down ?  There hasnt been anything mentioned about any activities there for some time. Unless anyone knows to the contrary ? 

They have been working on it last the few weeks and been trying to get it open but the weathers been against them 

2 hours ago, Byker Biker said:

Yes that's correct and the loan fees will go into the pot but this is a cash flow situation that will be resolved but not in time to start the season. The members who refused fixtures last season, withdrew Friday fixtures and allowed the finals all to be run in just over a week need to take a long hard look at themselves. Plenty of clubs owe money but this isn't the first hiccup at Workington that has taken a while to sort, if the BSPA want to try and retain a shred of respect they will allow them to put the licence on ice until the cash flow situation is resolved. It didn't help matters that the rest of the league met last week to agree fixtures and Workington was excluded from that meeting so even if they did come to the tapes in 2019 they'd get the rse end of the fixtures. In my opinion the responsibility for the decision not to run lies with the sport as a whole and not just Laura, "There by the grace of God go I" should have been on every Promoter's lips this morning just like "chuck her under a bus" was last week! (allegedly of course)

You are correct that the BSPA have allowed the club to put their licence on ice (for this season anyway). But if the club had not acted quickly enough and notified the BSPA that they wish to do this asap...then the BSPA would have closed the club down, virtually without warning !  That is why Laura had no choice but to put it on ice as soon as she did !  (What a lovely bunch of chaps the BSPA are !)

4 hours ago, mac101 said:

They have been working on it last the few weeks and been trying to get it open but the weathers been against them 

It's been a few years since i visited Northside. Could it be a potential NL venue in the future.

6 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

You are correct that the BSPA have allowed the club to put their licence on ice (for this season anyway). But if the club had not acted quickly enough and notified the BSPA that they wish to do this asap...then the BSPA would have closed the club down, virtually without warning !  That is why Laura had no choice but to put it on ice as soon as she did !  (What a lovely bunch of chaps the BSPA are !)

Conspiracy theory alert but...

Maybe it has dawned on those who run Speedway in the UK that there are too many teams/not enough riders which makes demand exceed supply...

This then pushes up salaries..

Maybe those who run the sport are allowing a 'culling' to take place which will tip the balance to supply rather than demand which will then reduce salaries.

It will also free up riders to replace missing others without the need for a guest...

A few subs on the bench to use for loss of form or injury to others without denting the sports credibility...

Maybe it is time to follow Charles Darwin and for the greater good allow the survival of the fittest to rebuild the sport over here?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

They will have to clear their debts, to assure the BSPA they are viable to run again in the future. 

It's about time the BSPA did something to prove that they are viable.......

• Thanks 1

If you determine fitness for purpose as not losing money you may only end up with a couple of clubs. Last season it was widely recognised that nearly all clubs with the odd exception lost money, Championship and Premiership. Combined losses mooted to be around £900K.

7 minutes ago, SteelShoe said:

If you determine fitness for purpose as not losing money you may only end up with a couple of clubs. Last season it was widely recognised that nearly all clubs with the odd exception lost money, Championship and Premiership. Combined losses mooted to be around £900K.

Not at all surprised and believe it completely. What it says, if correct, is that neither the BSPA nor UK speedway is "fit for purpose" as a professionally organised sport. The last AGM decided that " all is well" and no change was needed in the structure of the UK sport. Except for a change to a yellow helmet colour forced on them by the rest of the world.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

She has already stated in as many words, that no buyer has come forward.  And can you really see the BSPA allowing such a move, when it involves ANYTHING that might just possibly HELP Workington Speedway Club ? :rolleyes:

what total and utter crap you speak,seems to be looking from the outside that all involved have done all they can to keep the club going,but it was missing one vital thing....   MONEY

• Like 2

Without reading all this thread was just wondering if they had considered going national League for a couple of seasons . The lower costs may mean that speedway is sustainable 

• Like 3