British Speedway Forum

7 hours ago, Tsunami said:

What stockpile of engines ? I was told that the agreement that BSPA has with GTR was a large sum up front, and then a contribution to every engine sold up to a maximum number of engines.

Ahh, I see, pay a large sum up front, sell diddly squat, then loose your up front money, either way they lost a shed load if cash for a donkey

• Like 1

The rules and constitution have been ignored by the BSPA on so many occasions now that Laura can be forgiven for this late decision. Workington were allowed to attend the AGM and subsequently put a team together which inevitably gave some comfort. Despite this support from the BSPA the pay up or else call wasn't finalised until last week. Laura had to call it off or face an annulment and consequently a seizure, at least she still has some influence over the future of the Comets (for the time being). Allowing Laura to make the call does save the awkward announcement that the triple champions are being forcibly closed, it's a very difficult situation for all parties and let's be honest the BSPA could have pulled the plug long before now.

The disagreeing views on this thread (including mine) confirm only one thing, there are no winners whatsoever !

11 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

It may sound crazy but the better option could have been to go up a league rather than down then this may have generated a crowd of 800 to 1200 which would have supported a reasonable team but again that is one hell of a gamble to take

Still in shock to be honest.......got to say with the Comets always having stayed in the second tier, throughout their history, I agree that the comment re going up a league could well have proved a solution....those stay-away folk would have had a look for sure? 

As for Laura being let down....well I stood at the front of the Stand post match soaking in the euphoria the night the Championship was won..great feeling, great night, and I just noticed some local business-men seemingly captivated too (I've purchased off them down the years) and they were invited to join the 'on track fun'........I then put two and two together and thought great these guys are up for it next year (was never great at math's mind)...it's never good to think like that without concrete evidence I guess...and I suppose their interest waned as the Winter rolled along?

Memories of trips to such as Eastbourne, Canterbury, Crayford, Peterborough, Paisley, Coatbridge, Berwick, Newcastle, Glasgow, Barrow (great derbies) will stay forever..........sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

1 hour ago, Lord Skid said:

Ahh, I see, pay a large sum up front, sell diddly squat, then loose your up front money, either way they lost a shed load if cash for a donkey

My point was that there is no huge pile of engines as you wanted to hint at. :rolleyes:

You must be mad to invest in Speedway at this time....the sport is bust and the only people to blame are BSPA promoters. 

On 1/14/2019 at 10:01 PM, Tsunami said:

Worky weren't at the AGM either were they.

Tony Jackson represented the Comets at the AGM in Chepstow. 

• Thanks 1

"Not quite correct either as the riders are still assets of other clubs and as such resort back to that status just means they are back into he mix as riders without clubs; their status wont change also if any Workington assets are used they will still get the loan fees whilst the licence is on "Ice""

Absolutely 100 per cent correct THJ !  So the club hopefully will have some sort of income even when they are on ice !

11 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

Sad what’s happened , but why declare to run if money problems from last weren’t sorted. Really feel for Stevie Worrill ravaged by injury last season at Scunthorpe and agrees and signs a deal with Workington this season and won’t even get to tapes

Have you not thought of the possibility that they were promised some cash injection, and as such they perhaps decided to go ahead with running this year on the strength of that promise ? And then, just perhaps,. that cash injection from whoever, didnt materialise ? In other words, "promises were broken" ? :rolleyes:

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, proud panther said:

Whatever happens in the future for Workington, Laura has got my full respect. To put so much of her own money into the club she obviously loved is amazing, in my opinion.

Hear Hear ! :t:

5 hours ago, Byker Biker said:

The rules and constitution have been ignored by the BSPA on so many occasions now that Laura can be forgiven for this late decision. Workington were allowed to attend the AGM and subsequently put a team together which inevitably gave some comfort. Despite this support from the BSPA the pay up or else call wasn't finalised until last week. Laura had to call it off or face an annulment and consequently a seizure, at least she still has some influence over the future of the Comets (for the time being). Allowing Laura to make the call does save the awkward announcement that the triple champions are being forcibly closed, it's a very difficult situation for all parties and let's be honest the BSPA could have pulled the plug long before now.

The disagreeing views on this thread (including mine) confirm only one thing, there are no winners whatsoever !

Totally Agree. People need to be positive, although I know its hard. The period on ice will give the club time to sort its debts out, and regroup and see where they are regarding running again. The way things worked out, and the fact that no one expected the club's season to last until the end of October, meant they had precious little time to assess their situation, before the AGM came along and they had to start talking about 2019 !!! Plus, although I know its unlikely, it gives a whole year almost for them to find new sponsors or for one to come along of his own volition. I think the period on ice will be an opportunity for them to run more special social events this year, all hopefully laid on to raise cash for the clubs future,  and not least to ensure fans stay interested !  WATCH THIS SPACE !!

• Like 4

The Kyle Bickley interview in today's Speedway Star speaks volumes of riders' mentality.

A quick soundbite about the impact on the fans and then paragraphs about how "I" and "me" will suffer.

51 minutes ago, frigbo said:

The Kyle Bickley interview in today's Speedway Star speaks volumes of riders' mentality.

A quick soundbite about the impact on the fans and then paragraphs about how "I" and "me" will suffer.

I am pretty sure he was been interviewed for his reaction to what is going on. Of course he is mainly going to talk about himself. If the SS wanted a fans view they would of interviewed a fan.

1 hour ago, frigbo said:

U reading something diffrent to me kyle comes across as a very mature young lad with nothing but praise for the comets management  not once does the word "suffer" appear .

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nagy1 said:

I am pretty sure he was been interviewed for his reaction to what is going on. Of course he is mainly going to talk about himself. If the SS wanted a fans view they would of interviewed a fan.

I understand he's just a kid, but as a local lad I would have expected a far more balanced response to be honest.

When I followed them in 2004/5 they averaged 1200, where and why did half their fans disappear?! Especially after winning the treble, surprised the missing hundreds didn't return!

Remember 2500 for the Fours and Stoneys Testimonial.

That's 3 teams I've followed now closed, hope Swindon don't go the same way!

Edited by auntie doris