British Speedway Forum

23 hours ago, jenga said:

dry, as in very few fixtures in the U.K. speedway scene ?

i think its time to run the speedway fixtures like the football did . once a fortnight @ home and the following week away . that way the season will seem longer ! fans will keep an interest in the sport and look forward to the next home fixture . eh ..

That's fine in principle, unfortunately it doesn't work like that. say teams 1 , 3,  5, etc are at home week one and teams 2 , 4, 6 etc. are away then vice versa week two=  fine. but when team 1 plays team 3 or any odd numbered team then one of them has two weeks at home in a row and the other 2 weeks away in a row. then if the team that has two weeks away loses the next home fixture to the weather then suddenly you are looking at four or five weeks without a home fixture and fans lose interest. Footy gets away with it as there are usually at least one midweek fixture a month to keep the interest up.

17 minutes ago, leander said:

That's fine in principle, unfortunately it doesn't work like that. say teams 1 , 3,  5, etc are at home week one and teams 2 , 4, 6 etc. are away then vice versa week two=  fine. but when team 1 plays team 3 or any odd numbered team then one of them has two weeks at home in a row and the other 2 weeks away in a row. then if the team that has two weeks away loses the next home fixture to the weather then suddenly you are looking at four or five weeks without a home fixture and fans lose interest. Footy gets away with it as there are usually at least one midweek fixture a month to keep the interest up.

r c where ya comin fra bonny lad . teams have already gone 4/5 weeks without a home meeting and some will ride more home or away . but its the shortening of the season that gets to fans and the long gaps between fixtures . a two/three week gap is not the answer . but it will stretch  the season out a bit longer .  .. sheff finished in mid june ! i think lol .

rider availability should not be an issue. the bspa . or  scb . whatever they call themselves now (more like billy smarts circus) had the chance to make the elite/premiership just that and screwed it up big style . there is no way certain high average riders should be allowed in lower leagues . thats whats killing it . 

i would rather wait a couple of weeks for the next fixture if worky were still around for a meeting .we have scammers on the internet , now we have them in speedway . 

well . i am of to Carlisle  for a pint . will it be worth it , you bet .

2 hours ago, leander said:

Not withstanding you can't run on the same night as Scunthorpe so you really need to know how many meetings they are gonna reschedule first!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Standardisation of bikes looks like it won't happen however...

Maybe a two bike maximum should be authorised? Box standard bikes purchased by the club, the make and model being the riders choice?

Would £10k set aside for two bikes and running costs be enough? No tuning allowed, only servicing which gets done once a season..

No special clutches 'that Tai uses' or carbs 'that Greg swears by', allowed to be fitted. All as arrives on the bike...

Riders then pay back the £10k during the season with money earned..

If they want to use a bike for their individual exploits, or overseas team places, then they need to buy their own bikes and can do what they want to them. But the club bike stays in the UK intact..

In this digital age it wouldn't be hard to police the bikes as all key parts could be logged centrally with serial numbers so scrutinisers could ensure no tampering had taken place.. Photos could be taken to ensure all correct v the central database..

Riders may pay out tens of thousands now but don't forget this is their business so they do need to speculate to accumulate like all businesses do, however the big rewards generally don't come till a business is established over years so 'losing money' in the first few years isn't a uncommon situation, especially as you build your assets base..

Bottom line is if a PL reserve/NL heat leader pays out £30k a year (and no doubt more for some), you cannot expect British Speedway to afford to pay the money needed to make a profit for the rider on the crowd levels it gets... 

60 meetings at an average of £1000 a night with £10k costs would net a £50000 profit...

Not bad for six months work I would say...

i am led to believe that a speedway bike will not run properly when it is just taken out of the crate (so to speak) 

it needs set up for the conditions that it will work in . unlike motocross bikes  where its plug n play . these animals wont run correctly at all . 

allow tuners etc , but only in the top league and start putting engine numbers on the casings  so they can be traced . (will stop a lot of theft as well ). 

2 hours ago, leander said:

Footy gets away with it as there are usually at least one midweek fixture a month to keep the interest up.

It would seem that Footy can get away with anything, especially if rumours are true about a football team stealing a speedway teams track.

Edited by ruffdiamond

40 minutes ago, jenga said:

i am led to believe that a speedway bike will not run properly when it is just taken out of the crate (so to speak) 

it needs set up for the conditions that it will work in . unlike motocross bikes  where its plug n play . these animals wont run correctly at all . 

allow tuners etc , but only in the top league and start putting engine numbers on the casings  so they can be traced . (will stop a lot of theft as well ). 

If the bikes were 'standard', maybe the riders could adapt to conditions and, with the price of the gear you'd think there would be numbers, all over the buggers.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Liz !!! said:

I think people should think twice about looking for someone to blame and remember the support that local businesses have given to the club over the years, and the fact that when we are looking to return in 2020 we will be looking to them again to help get us up and running again. Never bite the hand that feeds you

Just been reading the Workington Town Rugby forum and there are a few mentions regarding the soccer team..the Reds...moving to Derwent Park in the summer, saying July, with therefore amendments being scheduled to the DP pitch area which will require grassing over of the speedway track. This of course just reaffirms what I was told at the Town match last Sunday - but it worries me greatly that the track could be lost forever? I hope not!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, singy13 said:

Just been reading the Workington Town Rugby forum and there are a few mentions regarding the soccer team..the Reds...moving to Derwent Park in the summer, saying July, with therefore amendments being scheduled to the DP pitch area which will require grassing over of the speedway track. This of course just reaffirms what I was told at the Town match last Sunday - but it worries me greatly that the track could be lost forever? I hope not!!!!!!!!

Odd you should say this I was talking to someone in town at the weekend about the Reds moving over and asked the very question, they said that there would be changes to the pitch as its not the right size for football for the Reds in the current league but they woulld be looking at an extension to the pitch that could be removed for speedway so the track wouldnt be affected. A bigger worry at present for the Reds is making sure they dont get relegated this season to an even lower league than they are currently in which would surely have wider implications for them as a club and the new stadium

Edited by Liz !!!
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Liz !!! said:

Odd you should say tis I was talking to someone in town at the weekend about the Reds moving over and asked the very question, they said that there would be changes to the pitch as its not the right size for football for the Reds in the current league but they woulld be looking at an extension to the pitch that could be removed for speedway so the track wouldnt be affected. A bigger worry at present for the Reds is making sure they dont get relegated this season to an even lower league than they are currently in which would surely have wider implications for them as a club and the new stadium

Yeah a removable surface should work...it would possibly just be required on the home and back straights with the bends staying as per normal?

i am sure that there were some artificial corners laid on the rugby pitch years ago , ( 70 ish ?)? to help with the corners on the speedway track .so if the reds get relegated , whats the point of a new stadium for rugby and poss NO proper football team  in a decent league ? ........ more money well spent by people with big ideas .

IF speedway returns  , i can see it being @ Northside . just needs a bit of tinkering size wise and a Donald Trump style wall around it .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jenga said:

i am sure that there were some artificial corners laid on the rugby pitch years ago , ( 70 ish ?)? to help with the corners on the speedway track .so if the reds get relegated , whats the point of a new stadium for rugby and poss NO proper football team  in a decent league ? ........ more money well spent by people with big ideas .

IF speedway returns  , i can see it being @ Northside . just needs a bit of tinkering size wise and a Donald Trump style wall around it .

I personally would hope the new stadium could be used for other things as well as football and rugby, ideally it would be good to see a concert or 2 in the West of the county. Re: the Comets in my humble female opinion I would like to see us develop our own track no matter how basic initially so that all income comes to our club rather than us subsidising a landlord

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Liz !!! said:

I personally would hope the new stadium could be used for other things as well as football and rugby, ideally it would be good to see a concert or 2 in the West of the county. Re: the Comets in my humble female opinion I would like to see us develop our own track no matter how basic initially so that all income comes to our club rather than us subsidising a landlord

maybe all the more reason to push for Northside as a proper track . i know there are a few complications etc . its been part time , maybe full time could happen .

Edited by jenga
TRIPLE WINNERS IN 2018 ..

3 minutes ago, jenga said:

maybe all the more reason to push for Northside as a proper track . i know there are a few complications etc . its been part time , maybe full time could happen .

Northside has planning permission to run 364 days a year, it has to be one of the preferred sites for developing a track. The current training track could be kept as it is, there is more than enough land over there that seems to be used for not much else. For me the main issue over there is the possibility of a gypsy park being located there as well, Northside have enough problems with vandalsim and theft as things stand without adding to it

• Like 6

4 hours ago, jenga said:

I think they laid down cuttings of turf at each corner of the rugby pitch, over the speedway track at Odsal (Bradford) when the Rugby and Speedway were both there.

2 hours ago, StevePark said:

I think they laid down cuttings of turf at each corner of the rugby pitch, over the speedway track at Odsal (Bradford) when the Rugby and Speedway were both there.

They done the same at derwentpark i remember when lou missed 1974 when he came back he took a while to adjust to the new corners which had been moved out !