British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

They done the same at derwentpark i remember when lou missed 1974 when he came back he took a while to adjust to the new corners which had been moved out !

He did like the inside line that's for sure.......cutback expert bar none.

3 hours ago, StevePark said:

I think they laid down cuttings of turf at each corner of the rugby pitch, over the speedway track at Odsal (Bradford) when the Rugby and Speedway were both there.

They certainly used to lift the turf at Wembley to expose the speedway track back in the day.

10 hours ago, jenga said:

i am sure that there were some artificial corners laid on the rugby pitch years ago , ( 70 ish ?)? to help with the corners on the speedway track .so if the reds get relegated , whats the point of a new stadium for rugby and poss NO proper football team  in a decent league ? ........ more money well spent by people with big ideas .

IF speedway returns  , i can see it being @ Northside . just needs a bit of tinkering size wise and a Donald Trump style wall around it .

Oh...so you havent seen Trumps latest tweet about "Workington in the UK" then ?

Is it not possible that northside can be developed like scunny. Track would need to be bigger but have it open 24/7 speedway stock cars to generate the revenue 

2 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Is it not possible that northside can be developed like scunny. Track would need to be bigger but have it open 24/7 speedway stock cars to generate the revenue 

Could be done easy but where does the money come from ?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Could be done easy but where does the money come from ?

No idea is the a stock car community up there maybe a collaboration between both. 

1 hour ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

No idea is the a stock car community up there maybe a collaboration between both. 

all our stock cars are being used on the  roads  , so there is no need for a stock car track to be built in the area . SO LETS CREATE ONE AND DO A SCUNNY . 

11 minutes ago, jenga said:

all our stock cars are being used on the  roads  , so there is no need for a stock car track to be built in the area . SO LETS CREATE ONE AND DO A SCUNNY . 

It was tried at derwent park didnt last long, i remember going to silloth airfield to watch the stocks in the 70s seemed to be thousands there !

21 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

It was tried at derwent park didnt last long, i remember going to silloth airfield to watch the stocks in the 70s seemed to be thousands there !

Silloth  airfield. ,that  brings back mameries ! my old man had a ford anglia in the stocks . by the time he had welded/bolted girders into it . it had the top speed and acceleration of a Sinclair c5 . it was  pink, hence the name the pink panther with back off boogaloo written on the boot .didnt last long tho . 

if i . remember correctly , there were large tyres around the rugby pitch to stop the cars running onto it. i think they also tried motocross there as well (but not on the hallowed turf)

my old man jumped through a flaming hoop of fire at derwent park on my yammy trail bike ,  just asked to borrow it . didnt tell . me he was going to try and set it on fire tho . 

way too much elf and safety nowadays . folk cannot enjoy theme selves at all .  

entertainment now ? its  a toss up between C.F.C. or  the REDS now . rugby is not my thing . 

Edited by jenga

7 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

This would be the best scenario, additonal income to that generated by speedway is pretty much essential for clubs to be able to run. Scunthopre make a lot of money from their regular amateur meetings which in turn help to support the speedway. Northside would need a substantial cash injection to bring it up to size and be developed effectively for these things to happen but working on the basis that all income including food, car parking and bar takings would benefit the speedway it has to one of the options for the Club

4 minutes ago, Liz !!! said:

This would be the best scenario, additonal income to that generated by speedway is pretty much essential for clubs to be able to run. Scunthopre make a lot of money from their regular amateur meetings which in turn help to support the speedway. Northside would need a substantial cash injection to bring it up to size and be developed effectively for these things to happen but working on the basis that all income including food, car parking and bar takings would benefit the speedway it has to one of the options for the Club

Was there not a plan approved by the council late in 2018 for the provision of a large trailer park for our lovely travelling fraternity. I know we had a debate on here about how it would affect the training track. I was told it was down the line, and the training track could be safe for a few years yet.

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

Was this not promoted by the late Ian Thomas ? I cant recall if attracted many people or not but it ran alongside the speedway for maybe one season

Edited by Liz !!!

1 minute ago, Liz !!! said:

Was this not promoted by th late Ian Thomas ? I cant recall if attracted many people or not but it ran alongside the speedway for maybe one season

I think it was jeff brownhunt who was at silloth was it will harrison and mitch graham at derwent park ?

• Like 1

Just now, Tsunami said:

Was there not a plan approved by the council late in 2018 for the provision of a large trailer park for our lovely travelling fraternity. I know we had a debate on here about how it would affect the training track. I was told it was down the line, and the training track could be safe for a few years yet.

I read an article on the local newspaper site a few weeks ago about the council getting into hot water for not providing such a park for the travelling community, they are over there anyhow on a regular basis leaving a LOT of mess which has then to be cleared up by the council. I believe the provision of such park gives the council more clout when it comes to moving travellers on from laybyes and other land they choose to park on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, geoff100 said:

I think it was jeff brownhunt who was at silloth was it will harrison and mitch graham at derwent park ?

I have read several times on short circuit car racing sites that former speedway rider Mitch Graham was involved in the car racing meetings.