British Speedway Forum

44 minutes ago, leander said:

In Mason's case he has a work visa which expires towards the end of March 2019. He qualified in an Australian state championship for a new visa this year. However, it is, in effect, an extension to his current one. He needs to be in the UK before his old one expires, and have a job riding speedway (i.e. a work sponsor) for this season in order to actually obtain the visa. If he hasn't got a team place before his current visa expires then he won't get his new one for this year. This means he'll have to sit out this season in it's entirety as he won't be allowed to sign for anybody else mid season. Since most, if not all, clubs are not actually starting to ride until late (very) March or early April the chances of him getting signed up are extremely remote. A similar thing happened to Ty Proctor a few years ago. I suppose he thinks the missing a year at this stage of his career would make it hard to come back.

He would be out for 2 years. 

Still find myself thinking someone is going to step in to rescue the situation and its all just been a bad dream. 

10 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

Is all of that statement correct Sharon ? 

Was in not the case that Jacko forked out for the medals for the riders and management for both teams and was reimbursed by the opposition promotion for half the cost, Im pretty sure  he wont have bought the actual competition shield, if he did perhaps this coming season it should be renamed The Tony Jackson Shield !

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Liz !!! said:

Was in not the case that Jacko forked out for the medals for the riders and management for both teams and was reimbursed by the opposition promotion for half the cost, Im pretty sure  he wont have bought the actual competition shield, if he did perhaps this coming season it should be renamed The Tony Jackson Shield !

This is laughable if true,Bspa to Jacko,any trophy shops in worky?couldn't pick us a shield up of some description, it's only been going since March and we haven't had time to sort one out,while you're at it sort out some winners/losers medals,don't go overboard incase the kitty doesn't cover it,oh and by the way you've been fined 3 grand for not completing the outstanding fixture take it out of that and send us the balance,it would be comedy gold if it wasn't serious

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, gregory peck said:

This is laughable if true,Bspa to Jacko,any trophy shops in worky?couldn't pick us a shield up of some description, it's only been going since March and we haven't had time to sort one out,while you're at it sort out some winners/losers medals,don't go overboard incase the kitty doesn't cover it,oh and by the way you've been fined 3 grand for not completing the outstanding fixture take it out of that and send us the balance,it would be comedy gold if it wasn't serious

that's the bspa for you 

or just general state of british speedway

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hodgy said:

He would be out for 2 years. 

How? He would be eligible for a new visa (assuming he qualifies via a state championship in 2019) 12 months after his current one expires. Ok, he might miss the first fixtures next march, depending on the actual date of  his visa expiry, but he would certainly be eligible from April 2020 onwards.

would he not have to reach a 7 pt average this year to qualify for next year 

who was it that had to sit out a couple of years ago ryan douglas maybe ?

26 minutes ago, scaramanga said:

aye , Jacks lad .

45 minutes ago, scaramanga said:

6 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Ryan missed last season due to not achieving the required average 

Ty Proctor's final GSA last year was 6.96, but he's still signed for Sheffield for the coming season.  How is that?

42 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Ty Proctor's final GSA last year was 6.96, but he's still signed for Sheffield for the coming season.  How is that?

is it not something to do with the previous years state championship ?

49 minutes ago, StevePark said:

A tier 5 Visa is valid for 3 years, and may be extended for a further 3 (as long as it continues without a break) which is where Mason is at the moment. Not sure the 7 point rule applies anymore unless it's at the end of year six. There are quite a few on visa's which didn't make a GSA of 7.00 last year.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, leander said:

How? He would be eligible for a new visa (assuming he qualifies via a state championship in 2019) 12 months after his current one expires. Ok, he might miss the first fixtures next march, depending on the actual date of  his visa expiry, but he would certainly be eligible from April 2020 onwards.

Certainly??? Recommend you read Mason’s interview in last weeks Speedway Star. 

23 hours ago, Hodgy said:

Certainly??? Recommend you read Mason’s interview in last weeks Speedway Star. 

I quote (from the article) :-"If I don't get that visa I get hit with the twelve month cooling off period. I have to be out of England for a year so I won't be able to return to racing until 2020 There's no way round that"

That's next year. But he obviously feels that a year out of UK racing would mean he'd be practically starting over again, and at his age (25) it would be too much of a struggle. A great shame really. 

1 hour ago, leander said:

I quote (from the article) :-"If I don't get that visa I get hit with the twelve month cooling off period. I have to be out of England for a year so I won't be able to return to racing until 2020 There's no way round that"

That's next year. But he obviously feels that a year out of UK racing would mean he'd be practically starting over again, and at his age (25) it would be too much of a struggle. A great shame really. 

Apologies Leander. Took my own advice and read the article again. What you say is correctly quoted. The misunderstanding on my side is that Mason states he will be 27 in two years, getting too late to start over again. He will be 26 for the 2020 season so wrongly assumed he would have to miss two seasons. 

As you say, great shame he has been forced into this situation, again. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1