British Speedway Forum

I to was wondering how Ty Proctor has signed for Sheffield and Kings Lynn because he failed to get the 7pt average required to renew his Visa. We all saw the carry on he made that night he spat the dummy out over this issue.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:07 PM, leander said:

In Mason's case he has a work visa which expires towards the end of March 2019. He qualified in an Australian state championship for a new visa this year. However, it is, in effect, an extension to his current one. He needs to be in the UK before his old one expires, and have a job riding speedway (i.e. a work sponsor) for this season in order to actually obtain the visa. If he hasn't got a team place before his current visa expires then he won't get his new one for this year. This means he'll have to sit out this season in it's entirety as he won't be allowed to sign for anybody else mid season. Since most, if not all, clubs are not actually starting to ride until late (very) March or early April the chances of him getting signed up are extremely remote. A similar thing happened to Ty Proctor a few years ago. I suppose he thinks the missing a year at this stage of his career would make it hard to come back.

Thanks for making the position clear.

While Campton is an exception, it is extremely difficult not have a great deal of sympathy for him and it is possible that he will have to give up racing. I can only hope that sanity prevails and that he is allowed to stay anyway given the almost unique circumstances.

• Like 2

Good article by Laura in the News and Star, costs, losses etc..

It’s on the Star website..

Edited by comet49

57 minutes ago, comet49 said:

Good article by Laura in the News and Star, costs, losses etc..

It shows the difference an extra 250 people can make surely there must be more out there to come along each week.if the new stadium gets built be nice to use derwent week for £s a week like town pay !

9 minutes ago, comet49 said:

Yeh, shame more didn’t go, never seen costs outlined like that. 

I can understand paying for flights for riders but van hire shoudnt be down to laura !

why have riders got these all singing and dancing vehicles . next thing they will be hiring bikes for the season and expect promoters to pay for them . 

get back to basics or the sport is dead . there is no coming back from the dead . 

going out to test drive my new H18TORY BEANIE HAT  . get one now and beat the cold . on E BAY or from OFFICIAL COMETS  ONLINE SHOP .  :wub:

Edited by jenga

2 hours ago, geoff100 said:

I can understand paying for flights for riders but van hire shoudnt be down to laura !

Geoff

The situation that the club has been faced with for the last few seasons is this...

Because of the "remoteness" of us as a town, and our distance from any major airport with decent flight destinations, then riders who do not live all year round in the UK, will not ride for us unless a van is provided !  It is too costly for them to purchase a van in March, and sell it in October !  If the club didnt offer them a van as an incentive to ride here, then they would simply choose a club that is nearer to an airport. 

That is the bottom line on it mate !

1 hour ago, A.N.Other said:

Geoff

The situation that the club has been faced with for the last few seasons is this...

Because of the "remoteness" of us as a town, and our distance from any major airport with decent flight destinations, then riders who do not live all year round in the UK, will not ride for us unless a van is provided !  It is too costly for them to purchase a van in March, and sell it in October !  If the club didnt offer them a van as an incentive to ride here, then they would simply choose a club that is nearer to an airport. 

Riders dont have to buy a van though, Rentruck have 45 available for hire. I have huge sympathy for Laura Morgan and the position Workington Speedway finds itself in, but reading this article it seems Workington were paying money for riders living costs.

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/17404834.taking-a-season-out-will-give-us-time-to-save-the-comets/?ref=fbshr&fbclid=IwAR0SEKtkCelP3wH-0NtVGWmSrWGKvzfYrPL8LGICNIwwjJ6g778T6HNVhZY

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, screm said:

Riders dont have to buy a van though, Rentruck have 45 available for hire. I have huge sympathy for Laura Morgan and the position Workington Speedway finds itself in, but reading this article it seems Workington were paying money for riders living costs.

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/17404834.taking-a-season-out-will-give-us-time-to-save-the-comets/?ref=fbshr&fbclid=IwAR0SEKtkCelP3wH-0NtVGWmSrWGKvzfYrPL8LGICNIwwjJ6g778T6HNVhZY

Ridiculous amounts of money no wonder clubs are in trouble 

• Like 1

What Laura has described is no different to any other club in the top 2 leagues it is the scale of it that brings Promoters to their knees. All of the northern clubs have over the years struggled to get Midlands and southern based riders to join them. Pre Facennas Glasgow was wholly reliant on "sponsorship" to get a decent rider there (Like Danny Bird), Edinburgh likewise and Berwick even bought/rented a house for the Czech contingent. Ironically it was Peterborough then in the top league and Newport in the PL that were to my knowledge the first teams to provide 7 riders with 7 vans all cutely signwritten. Fuel, tyres, insurance, mechanics and living allowances are not unusual at all but it is the Promoters who are armholes when they don't want to meet those demands and even worse when they close a club because of it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, screm said:

its heartbreaking reading that from the local paper . everything that could have been done to save the club , has been done , you can now see just why every young gun thats decent on a bike wants to ride speedway . free vans and stuff are making this glorious sport extinct . the sport cant and will not survive much longer and thats not just in workington ..

so who is to blame ?  the fans that dont come anymore , the entrance fee too high , or has boredom really set into our great sport . the new ish thumb brigade get their excitement  from moving buttons about now and sucking fizzy drink that gives you wings !

i , like many others will lose our Saturday speedway fix and if the costs keep going up and up . we will never see speedway at workington again . 

but if its not to be , then so be it . but we said goodbye in the best  way . .

anyone that has promoted or had dealings with running a speedway circus deserves more than . a pat on the back .

it shows how the sport is being run by the goonies when they lose the shield trophy and cant/wont even pay for a few medals for the riders competing in the finals .

remember , just support your team till the bitter end, because one day it might be . 

(i have not spell checked or read this , so there will be mistakes )

Edited by jenga
yep , just added the word BEST TRIPLE WINNERS IN 2018 ..
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

Geoff

Don't sign them then.  I'm quite sure other riders would have signed without the extra cost to the promotion.

• Like 4

Unless costs come down across the board, speedway will struggle to survive as a professional sport. The fans can't afford what the promotors want and the promoters can't afford what the riders want. It's a vicious circle that has to end eventually.

• Like 2

Are the costs really too high for a 2nd tier professional sports team?

An attendance of just 750 would see a break even position

There are other clubs with higher crowds and we hear few if any clubs are making profits. This must mean those clubs have even higher costs

• Like 2