British Speedway Forum

5 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

Geoff

The situation that the club has been faced with for the last few seasons is this...

Because of the "remoteness" of us as a town, and our distance from any major airport with decent flight destinations, then riders who do not live all year round in the UK, will not ride for us unless a van is provided !  It is too costly for them to purchase a van in March, and sell it in October !  If the club didnt offer them a van as an incentive to ride here, then they would simply choose a club that is nearer to an airport. 

That is the bottom line on it mate !

Point taking rider power wins the day i know am old school but remember the good old days of trailors and bikes on car racks and riders with day jobs !

• Like 4

If the figures quoted in the News & Star article are true, it is evidently clear that without Laura Morgan, Workington speedway would have folded years ago. Like others, I am grateful for the fact that she kept Workington going for so long.

The only sour taste in my mouth is the fact that having invested in a season ticket for the 2019 season at Workington, I am still waiting for the promised refund. On two separate occasions, my wife has made contact with the promotion to be assured that 'we will post out the refund next week,' for no refund to be forthcoming.

Refund or no refund, I am now faced with the prospect of a two hour drive to see any speedway; in reality, I am all but certainly going to be a fan lost to the sport, or someone who will watch the sport from the periphery.

Edited by moomin man 76
Spelling error

Yea 2 hours plus to see speedway, I did it after we closed in 1981, but then I was young and daft with money to buy petrol which was relatively cheap,and traveled all over the country and to overseas world finals, now I'm older and more sensible !!! And petrol more expensive and takes longer to get to places, so will have to be more selective on my travels, going to Warsaw gp for 3 nites cheaper than Cardiff for 2 nites, so maybe more of this to be done

1 hour ago, moomin man 76 said:

If the figures quoted in the News & Star article are true, it is evidently clear that without Laura Morgan, Workington speedway would have folded years ago. Like others, I am grateful for the fact that she kept Workington going for so long.

The only sour taste in my mouth is the fact that having invested in a season ticket for the 2019 season at Workington, I am still waiting for the promised refund. On two separate occasions, my wife has made contact with the promotion to be assured that 'we will post out the refund next week,' for no refund to be forthcoming.

Refund or no refund, I am now faced with the prospect of a two hour drive to see any speedway; in reality, I am all but certainly going to be a fan lost to the sport, or someone who will watch the sport from the periphery.

15 minutes ago, Neila said:

Yea 2 hours plus to see speedway, I did it after we closed in 1981, but then I was young and daft with money to buy petrol which was relatively cheap,and traveled all over the country and to overseas world finals, now I'm older and more sensible !!! And petrol more expensive and takes longer to get to places, so will have to be more selective on my travels, going to Warsaw gp for 3 nites cheaper than Cardiff for 2 nites, so maybe more of this to be done

Why don't you get together and come across to Newcastle on a Sunday night starting at 6.30pm. Plenty of time to get home after the meeting and Half petrol costs should be good.

10 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Why don't you get together and come across to Newcastle on a Sunday night starting at 6.30pm. Plenty of time to get home after the meeting and Half petrol costs should be good.

i dont think Newcastle is a fav track for any workington fans  . . now Redcar is a totally different animal ..

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jenga said:

i dont think Newcastle is a fav track for any workington fans  . . now Redcar is a totally different animal ..

Too easy to ride. :D 

11 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Thanks for the invite but rough park is one of my least favourite tracks, it was bad enough going to watch comets beat the diamonds, never mind coming to watch any team beat the diamonds :) no offence 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Workington like other clubs relied on riders from the Premiership and visa verse.

So who pays for the van and accommodation?

The doubling up and down has, in my view accelerated the decline of clubs at this level.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, StevePark said:

Don't sign them then.  I'm quite sure other riders would have signed without the extra cost to the promotion.

Thats the whole point Steve....the clubs past experience is that foreign riders WILL NOT SIGN for a club these days, unless there is a big enough incentive to do so !

Plus, by the time the Comets management had received answers from the riders they wanted to sign, all decent alternative British Based riders would already have been snapped up by other clubs, leaving little quality to pick from to set up our team !

14 hours ago, Tsunami said:

I havent visited rough park for several years. There are two reasons...1. The track can be downright dangerous at times (just look at how many riders get injured there). 2. A section of the so called home "fans" are a disgrace to their club..they are compared to animals, due to their antagonistic attitude to visiting supporters, with them LAUGHING as a visiting rider is taken away by ambulance, swearing and making threats to away supporters etc etc. I am sorry if this offends genuine Diamonds fans, but it is a fact and I and my fellow Comets supporters have had experience of this quite often !  So you can understand why I am reluctant to visit !

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

I havent visited rough park for several years. There are two reasons...1. The track can be downright dangerous at times (just look at how many riders get injured there). 2. A section of the so called home "fans" are a disgrace to their club..they are compared to animals, due to their antagonistic attitude to visiting supporters, with them LAUGHING as a visiting rider is taken away by ambulance, swearing and making threats to away supporters etc etc. I am sorry if this offends genuine Diamonds fans, but it is a fact and I and my fellow Comets supporters have had experience of this quite often !  So you can understand why I am reluctant to visit !

I think I have to respond to both points.  Number 1.  You say it can be dangerous "at times."  I'm guessing you've only been to the track when Workington have visited? Correct me if I'm wrong please.  You're not there every week of the season, when the track can be near or absolutely perfect.  

Can you put in facts and figures that Brough Park is more dangerous than most other tracks when riders have been injured purely down to track conditions?  I can guess that riders get injured there no more than other tracks up and down the country. 

Number 2.  Tsunami may be able to confirm, but I believe that this element of "supporter" is no longer there. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

If any of it was true I might be a bit concerned, but as it is not I'll not bother with what you have said. The difficulty is that, unlike Worky and other smooth hard tracks that produce speed and nothing else, Brough is prepared with dirt on and with the tight corners it tests riders, especially if they are of the throttle happy flatout riders such as Richard Hall, Josh Auty, Kyle Howarth, etc. All these sort or riders are spinning on a flat smooth track with no excitement, who never learnt till later how to handle dirt like their more sensible style riders who ride Brough well,  like the Worrals, etc. Berwick, Worky fans regularly complain about the quality of racing at their own tracks and it is a regular complaint and might well be a major complaint with the fans that now don't attend. Does or should make you wonder about it, rather that slating other peoples tracks, where there is a regular racing at flat out speeds as well. We can't all be Sheffields and Somersets with  good tracks and usually good racing on roughened tracks, but we do are best.

I certainly can confirm that any elements lout behaviour in our ranks gets reported, and is seen to pretty prompt, and hasn't been with us for years. Behaviour of away fans has also been tackled, which has tended to put off certain Redcar fans since that problem was tackled. We attend every away meeting with them in great numbers and have no problems or even a reputation for troubles. Unfortunately they feel they can't return that compliment to support us for their away meetings with us. 

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 2

have to be honest  the racing at brough isnt the best u can see but it does need skill to ride it esp turns 1 and 2 where riders can drift out to the fence on exit, i remember going to berwick for the first time in 1972 and watching riders bounce all over the place on a right rough black shale track, the home boys rode it slighty better than us helped very much by the best green light starts i have ever seen.

i can see all those away supporters turning up for a meeting @ brough park or whatever its called now  even when their team is not racing there !  todays away supporters only go  to visit away tracks when their team are  riding . but on the very odd occasion i did go to Redcar to see darcy ward @ redcar . but thats a track you can and do race on . 

i think its the feedback from other supporters/fans that have come up with the same conclusion that the track requires special powers to get the best out of it .

workington has dirt on it , . smooth-ish on the inside and grippy on the outside , armadillo !

that Lyle Howarth sounds a good prospect tho . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tsunami said:

If any of it was true I might be a bit concerned, but as it is not I'll not bother with what you have said. The difficulty is that, unlike Worky and other smooth hard tracks that produce speed and nothing else, Brough is prepared with dirt on and with the tight corners it tests riders, especially if they are of the throttle happy flatout riders such as Richard Hall, Josh Auty, Lyle Howarth, etc. All these sort or riders are spinning on a flat smooth track with no excitement, who never learnt till later how to handle dirt like their more sensible style riders who ride Brough well,  like the Worrals, etc. Berwick, Worky fans regularly complain about the quality of racing at their own tracks and it is a regular complaint and might well be a major complaint with the fans that now don't attend. Does or should make you wonder about it, rather that slating other peoples tracks, where there is a regular racing at flat out speeds as well. We can't all be Sheffields and Somersets with  good tracks and usually good racing on roughened tracks, but we do are best.

I certainly can confirm that any elements lout behaviour in our ranks gets reported, and is seen to pretty prompt, and hasn't been with us for years. Behaviour of away fans has also been tackled, which has tended to put off certain Redcar fans since that problem was tackled. We attend every away meeting with them in great numbers and have no problems or even a reputation for troubles. Unfortunately they feel they can't return that compliment to support us for their away meetings with us. 

Don't mind Newcastle tbf probably prefer it too Berwick actually 

• Like 1